While the 3% nickel rods come highly recommended for repairs on gun parts, I found the price of them to be the deal breaker, I can order them this side of the pond from Brownells UK but have been searching for alternatives.
Just stumbled onto some 2% nickel rods from a well known maker which work out at 17 sterling ($20-25 ?) for a 1kg pack (2.2lbs)
Obviously, the price is the attraction but wonder if they'll do the job.
I'm not a metallurgist but I do know that 1% of something or other in steel alloys can make a lot of difference.
I've not got the spec sheet yet so need to get that to make sure there's no chromium in them as that will cause problems with the blacking required after some repairs.
The big question is, has anyone here used a similar rod, were they good and did they match the rods from Brownells ?
It's a long shot I know and I'll probably buy a pack as they'll be a good rod for a multitude of jobs.
I'd be more than happy to hear any feedback from anyone who's used them and if not, I'll let you know how I get on with them when I get chance to use some.
Sods law dictates nobody will bring any broken gun parts to try them on in the near future, I may have so break some old spares just to try them smile
Thanks in advance,
Nick.

Edit. Just had a reply from the supplier, there's no chromium in the rods.
They're the 1.6mm (1/16") Sif Ni2 rods.

Last edited by Nick. C; 06/14/19 11:47 AM.

Rust never sleeps !