Since you brought up the old post, just to make things clear I didn't say the bottom shot were more, or less, squashed. The discussion began, I believe, with the assertion that a 1 oz load in a 28 gauge required more force to achieve a certain velocity than a 1 oz load in a 12 gauge. That is simply not the case although force per square inch would be greater in the 28 gauge. Then it was asserted that the shape of the mass (long column of lesser diameter in the 28 ga.) would determine the inertia of the shot charge - again, don't think that is correct.
I questioned the acceptance of common knowledge, beliefs and anecdotal evidence as "proof" of the statements about deformation. Wonko the Sane also questioned that, but more forcefully than did I.
If you read my final comment, it should be clear that I stated that there was a lot going on as the shot charge moved down the barrel, that it was complex and that probably much was not known.
For example, have you thought about the relative impact on the lower level of shot as the upper level is slowed going through the forcing cone and the choke and how any resulting deformation might compare to the initial explosion deformation? It would be interesting to make a barrel without a forcing cone and choke so that the shell case would fit the chamber more like a rifle and the shot charge could enter the barrel unimpeded. Or make a shell case with the shot charge in an enclosed plastic container that actually fit the barrel similar to the Speer handgun shot containers.

Last edited by cpa; 06/16/19 10:30 PM.