Keith it is not just Pennsylvania where that went on. Just south of there is Maryland. The stories I could tell you about nepotism, corruption and kickbacks would make you laugh or shake your head.

My father was offered the chance to fill out a term for Congress because the elected, serving, congressman was going to prison. Seems the "moron" decided to not accept cash gifts, so he had people mail checks to his office, like they were campaign contributions. He then cashed these and pocketed the money. Wire and mail fraud is what he copped a plea to.

My father had been a delegate to the 1960 Democratic convention. He hated Bobby Baker, who was Lyndon Johnson close buddy, a very shady person to say the least. When JFK put LBJ on on the ticket my father decided to change parties after the election. When the Governor offered him the job, as congressman, my father told him he was a registered Republican, to which the Governor replied we can erase that, as if it never happened and he could deny that it did. My father told him he would change back, but would not lie about it if asked. To which the Governor replied "Irving, you will never go far in politics if you insist on telling the truth". So my father told him to find another person and said he never regretted it a single day for the rest of his life, more than 50 years. I remember sitting in the room when my father passed up the job like yesterday. Where has time gone?