Originally Posted By: BrentD
Doesn't seem much like any pheasant hunting I've ever seen.

Nor is it representative of any driven pheasant shooting I've done. What you're seeing there are highly specialized shoots which require the right terrain to put birds that far above the guns, and tailored to shooters who have the right equipment (mostly heavy OU's, much like sporting clays guns) throwing far heavier shot charges (and larger shot) than what is used in a more typical drive. Remember that Lord Ripon shot at least one trio of guns that were all straight cylinder. That's not what you'd want for the birds in that video. And until you've tried the more typical driven shooting--where a 40 yard bird is a "tall" one, and most are in the 20-30 yard range (and can still be missed)--that's not the kind of driven shooting you want to try first.

I've had the pleasure of shooting with a couple very good shots who also pass up easier birds and challenge themselves on the higher ones. But again, we're talking higher as being relative, not so high you can kill them by cutting their oxygen hose!