Miller, apparently you're missing the point I'm making. You're talking about the radicals preaching true Islam. Using the example of the Taliban, which prohibits girls from going to school (which they in fact do most places in the Muslim world, including conservative nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran), my point is: that action is NOT part of true Islam.

And whether it was true Christianity or not, it didn't make too much difference to the Jews who fled Spain during the Inquisition when given the choice of conversion or death. It was the Catholic church of Spain. Fortunately for some of them, Morocco was only a short boat ride away. And before long, both Catholics--and later Protestants--were holding witch trials. None of which is "true Christianity" as I understand it. Nor was it--in much more recent times--when Irish Catholics and Protestants killed each other. Nor when Orthodox Serbs and Catholic Croats killed each other in the former Yugoslavia. But all of that looks a whole lot like Muslims killing each other because they're not "true Muslims", doesn't it? Even though the Koran expressly prohibits killing brother Muslims. The way they get around that: get the local mullah to declare that the Muslims they want to kill are guilty of apostasy. So they're not true Muslims.

As for your Bible reading, we didn't have any of that when I was in school. Although there was a Bible Club with a faculty sponsor that met after school. Teaching a course on religion, I'm sure, would pass muster if it were to include both Christianity and Islam, as well as other religions. The difference comes when it's an attempt to indoctrinate someone into a particular religion. That's the business of schools run by various religious orders, not of public schools.

Last edited by L. Brown; 09/13/19 05:07 PM.