Craig, when you're playing defense--which is what you're doing when you're trying to prevent mass shootings of any kind--you certainly need to be vigilant. But why would you suggest that there's anything wrong with being lucky? What's bad is counting on luck and not being vigilant.

As for the rest of your babbling, I'm not quite sure how many different tracks you're trying to run your trains on. "Muslim" defines them by religion. "American" defines them by nationality. If it's Islamist terrorists we're concerned with in this country, with the exception of 9/11, most of the Islamist terrorist attacks have been carried out by American Muslims. But given that Bin Laden declared war on America over 20 years ago, and said it was the duty of Muslims to kill Americans, wherever and however they could do so . . .then it seems to me quite clear that the vast majority of American Muslims didn't buy into his message. We all know it's not that hard to acquire guns in this country. If a lot of American Muslims were following Bin Laden's guidance, then it seems to me we'd be hearing reports of American Muslims committing attacks pretty much every day. There are, after all, millions of them available to do it.

As for the comment about Muslims in this country raising money to fund overseas terrorism . . . yes, that happens. And it happens to be a crime, and a number of them have been caught, put on trial, and gone to prison for doing it. "Follow the money" is a very effective way to track terrorists and those who support them. Did you think that someone who worked in counterintelligence and counterterrorism would be unaware of that, Craig? That's so basic that it's like kindergarten stuff. You need to try harder if you're going to tell us (including other well-informed people here) things we aren't well aware of.

But you will have to explain to me what you mean by news sources facing legal scrutiny for bias. If there were a law against bias, then it would be illegal for media outlets to publish editorials and opinion pieces. And certainly illegal for them to state which candidate they're backing in an election. Obvious bias there, right?