I have been shooting black powder shotgun cartridges on doves for the last three years, in this case old production Kent Gamebore 2-1/2" 20s. These in a 12 ga twist barreled Brit hammer gun, with ChamberMates. I usually clean the day I shoot, but this trip waited until I got home. I was amazed at how crusty the barrel fouling was after about a day and a half. Stuff was peeling away in chunks rather than coming out on the swabs. I'm guessing this is why bullet lube is so important in BP rifles. So, I finally decided to use the bucket of hot soapy water to clean the bores, rather than multiple passes with Windex and Ballistol. A bit messy, but quicker than my old ways and I have more confidence in the cleanliness of the bores. I also just ordered a pack of T/C Natural Lube patches, per Keith's suggestion, for the final dry pass.

I also spent some time on Google looking for info on "greased cloth," for rifles. Found a number of mentions, but nothing definitive. Did see some passages that indicated that early patches may have been wool, because the Brits had so much of it.