Seeing the Webley & Scott post prompts me to update this thread and seek more input on my two remaining questions concerning this family heirloom 11ga SxS.

First, who was W. Morse & Co.? My working assumption is that it was an American importer who then retailed British made guns under their W. Morse brand name. So far, I have found other guns branded with this name but nothing regarding who W. Morse & Co. was.

The second question is who built these guns for them and here I may have a lead that I’d appreciate more help from the DG fraternity on.

In DGJ Vol 14:2 is an article by Sherman Bell (p. 18f) on W. & C. Scott Co. of Birmingham (formed about 1835 and merged in 1897 with P. Webley & Son to form Webley & Scott). Quotes in the article relative to the period of my gun have piqued my interest.
“...Scott aggressively marketed his guns outside of Great Britain. Between 1860 and 1886 he made many trips to America to visit firearms dealers to promote Scott guns and organize a network of importers.”
“...there are probably more Scott guns in this country than those from most other British makers.”
“...the Scott company would make a gun to a price...”. “The ever practical Americans bought these plain, but very good guns by the thousands.”
“...Scott made many guns for other makers.”

The first Scott gun (from 1862 or later) that Bell features “...is a plain grade, percussion 14-gauge with no serial number.” He later mentions that “...the majority of percussion guns were not assigned serial numbers.” My gun, which bears Birmingham proof marks that came into usage in 1868 and does not have a serial number, has many similarities to this gun.

I would be grateful to any here who know W. & C. Scott guns and/or have a copy of “The History of W. & C. Scott Gunmakers” by Crawford & Whatley and could tell me whether, or to what degree, you think my gun may be a Scott made gun.

Thanks for your help.

Speude Bradeos