doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GregSY Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 02:17 AM
Dear, I think Master Bates is ready for his first gun. When he return from his twelfth birthday party at the manor, have Jeeves saw the stock off my A Grade Parker 20 for him. Oh, and order a second set of barrels - I think Jeeves overhoned the first set.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...427_park_kc.jsp
Posted By: James M Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 03:00 AM
I remain convinced that you should be required to pass a competency test in order to be allowed to vote. I am also convinced that a certain level of competency should have to be demonstrated before you're allowed to buy some items and this Parker is a case in point.I'm afraid the unwashed,unclean and just plain stupid are taking over. Unfortunately from what I can see; We are experiencing Darwins natural selection in reverse.
Fortunately we have members here such as Doug Mann that can remedy that abomination.
Jim
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 06:06 AM
It was probably not a representative of the "great unwashed" that performed the modifications to this fine Parker but more likely one of the excessively wealthy to whom such a tool was nothing more than just that, a tool. A tool to be used and modified to fit the purposes of it's current user. We hold such guns in reverence and are abhorred at such sacrilege when to them, "..it's only a gun, I don't see the problem." Such was the ignorance of the wealthy of that era.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 01:19 PM
I guess it can't be all bad if the gun brought anything near the $41,999 asking price.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 02:45 PM
Do you think that this gun should have been kept in a gun case, never to be used, in fair or foul weather? Do you see a high grade gun not kept pristine like all the rest of its kind? Do you see a great loss of value in it because of the wear and tear on the gun? I see a gun which has had more shells shot in it that all the rest of the same high grade put together. This gun has seen several lifetimes of use and has given tons of pleasure to one or two or three owners. Some men marry a beautiful wife to be seen with her some marry her to be "with" her. I know which type of person this fellow was. And if you could afford to buy this gun and do the same you would too. Money is a way to keep score, not a God to be worshiped. Life is short, shoot often and be happy.
Posted By: CJO Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 02:52 PM
I believe the gun came from England,...there is a chance that some of that "fancy" work was performed across the pond!
Probably not as bad as it looks

CJ
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 02:53 PM
KY Jon,
Very nicely stated. This gun when new was probably less than $800, and to most a lot of money then, but not to some. This person like you stated probably passed it down to his son and so on. So the added pieces of wood, so what, all tells a story.

C.J. I doubt that it was done professionally, look at the original aging of the checkering area, not refinished. JMO
Posted By: CJO Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 04:14 PM
JDW,
I'm not saying it was done professionally, just saying I think it was done in England.
It's all pretty original,... aside from the stock extension

CJ
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 04:45 PM
Oh, come now.

It's one thing to use a gun, it's another to abuse it.

I don't know many men who marry beautiful women and don't spend a little time every now and then getting some use out of their hard earned treasure. But that's hardly the same thing as slapping her around a bit 'til she loses a few teeth, right? Will we applaud her new dentures as part of a fascinating story?

Let me ask you - why on Earth would the barrels need to have been honed to the point of being dangerously thin unless the gun had seen repeated neglect?

As for price, that gun has always been expensive - I don't care who you are. Would we all nod our heads approvingly if we saw noted rap artist Puff Daddy puke into the wool carpet of his 1931 Deusenberg then crash it into a telephone booth? He can afford it, so what's wrong with the picture?
Posted By: CJO Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: GregSY

As for price, that gun has always been expensive -

Have you seen it for sale somewhere else??

Just curious

CJ
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 06:49 PM
No, I haven't seen it for sale elsewhere. My point is that $800 when it was new was a lot, and $42K now is a lot.
Posted By: keith Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 06:55 PM
All the money in the world won't buy intelligence. A wealthy, thinking, man who could afford this gun with extra barrels when new would have spent a few more bucks for a short spare buttstock for Junior or his petite Mrs. or mistress. But this very expensive gun, from our middle class perspective, is practically as disposable as an empty shotshell hull to the very rich. Consider the salaries of the CEOs' of the banking and auto companies who are gleefully taking our tax dollars to bail out their ineptitude. A middle of the road CEO who makes a mere $36.5 million a year is making $100,000.00 per day. Put another way, that is $4125.00 per hour... 24 hours a day...365 days a year. Just think, they make more money every time they take a crap than the average worker makes in a week. Or perhaps I am being intolerant, and this gun has a grafted walnut butt with an unusually straight graft line.
Posted By: CJO Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/27/08 07:58 PM

GregSY,

I see the sale is pending, but I didn't know the price I guess there is still lots of spending money out there, wonder what that's worth restored?

CJ
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/28/08 12:26 AM
You can see the asking price if you find the gun in the general list of Parkers - just type in Parker and then locate the gun and the asking price is $41,999. I don't know what the sale price is, but given that the gun very quickly went 'sale pending' I would guess they didn't drop much.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/28/08 11:32 AM
Ray Charles didn't respect his women - how do you think they got the name the Rayletts? Just let Ray!
Posted By: James M Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/28/08 09:29 PM
It wasn't only Parker owners that were fools. This is a LC Grade 3E:

Jim
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Parker AHE 20 - 11/29/08 04:09 AM
This is seen 24/7 with London's finest and other european guns. We see a high grade Paaka it should be illegal! That is just damn ugly.

I wouldn't marry that gun no matter what (ha ha)
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Parker AHE 20 - 12/01/08 12:53 PM
I have a nice unaltered Grade 2 12- 30" Crown Steel tubes Full and really Full- DT- POW grip original Buttplate and the Cody letter showing it to be 1907 mfg. date (June or July I recall) Before I have a pad installed and the chokes opened, then it ceases to be original, I might sell or trade- what is your 3E like-the one shown with a Hawkins?" pad and the "splice" as to barrel length and chokes, and I only am interested in the pre-1913 Smiths with DT- don't trust the Smith Hunter One Triggers.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com