doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RMC Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 06:30 AM
Hunting dogs or pets, Please share a pic of your hunting partner/s or den dog. Deep snow is bringing our season to a halt. My guys are pointing labs, Raven,Shooter,Bullet with Crockett the pup. Merry Christmas, Y'all. God Bless you and your Families and all our Soldiers. Your turn.... Randy

Posted By: Bill G. Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 11:46 AM
Zach, Liver & white 10 yrs old & Dillon, black & white 3 yrs old in SD just a few weeks ago.

[img][/img]
Posted By: Kraft Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 11:54 AM

Only hunting she does, is under the table.
Bill
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 01:29 PM
Max, now close to 2 1/2 yrs old. Hunting near water he is always in it.
Posted By: 12brd Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 02:14 PM
Luke and Elsie.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 02:29 PM
My little Setter

her daughter

Posted By: Brian Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 03:14 PM
My Field Bred English Springer Jhenn about 6 years old in this pic. Fox AE 16 Ga 26" IC & MOD (factory straight grip, lettered)

Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 03:34 PM
Great pictures, dogs, guns, and game!

Brian, anyone who can bag three grouse in one day has my vote! Never did that, and I spent years (and miles and knees) trying. Of course the Springer and the Fox helped--that Fox had to have been made for a grouse hunter! The NYS back tag and holder bring back fond memories of hunting in upstate NY; too bad we can't get CA weather and NY hunting...'tho it looks like those birds were killed on a "Florida" day (no snow, no sleet).

(My Marine son is trying to teach me some Pashto...now THAT is a FORIEGN language!).
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 04:05 PM
Here's some pics of my hunting crew....

My Setters are litter mates, although you couldn't tell by looking at them, the female is a pipsqueek at only 35 lbs and my male is a porkchop at 50 lbs.

My female, Ms. Kate

Kates brother, Clyde

My American Water Spaniel and quite possibly the worlds all time greatest nincompoop, Mr. Bear
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 04:34 PM
Jas was 2 when this was taken last season.

Posted By: Orry Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 04:56 PM
The old man at eight years old.

Posted By: Brian Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Armstrong
Great pictures, dogs, guns, and game!

Brian, anyone who can bag three grouse in one day has my vote! Never did that, and I spent years (and miles and knees) trying. Of course the Springer and the Fox helped--that Fox had to have been made for a grouse hunter! The NYS back tag and holder bring back fond memories of hunting in upstate NY; too bad we can't get CA weather and NY hunting...'tho it looks like those birds were killed on a "Florida" day (no snow, no sleet).

(My Marine son is trying to teach me some Pashto...now THAT is a FORIEGN language!).

Mike,
my bird hunting partner (who hails from Jersey and is a Parker man) often hunts by himslef, no dog, and has 4-3 days a season where he limits out; by himself.!!! No i cant say where he hunts.!!!
He puts me to shame. Usually I shoot one bird a day and thats it unless I am hunting all day and then maybe a seocnd but i odnt try to limit. As ling as the dog gets to work and fetch one up once in a while.
Posted By: Brian Re: Hunting companion Pics *DELETED* - 12/05/08 05:09 PM
Post deleted by Brian
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 05:16 PM

Results of a little hard work, back in 2006 when there used to be pheasants in the state of Iowa.

Posted By: 775 Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 05:27 PM
Raven, she passed two weeks ago, Saturday.

More pics of her and her buds here if you wade through the rest of the stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61687148@N00/

Best,
Mark
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 05:49 PM

Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 06:00 PM
Tolley, big female now 5 years old, using a Boswell pigeon gun

[img][/img]
Posted By: steve voss Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 06:08 PM
Scapa as a 7 mo. old puppy.

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 06:41 PM
Say it aint so Dave-a black plastic stock Benelli?!?
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 07:09 PM
My 13 yr old deaf and tired ECS fought off an ugly bit of cancer last year and is still on chemo and steroids.
Absolutely useless as a field dog now but we're happy she got another season with us.

A 20 minute hunt early this year (mostly me running after, yelling at her deaf ears, as she scent tracked turkeys)

It takes her a full day to get better after a 20 minute run

Years ago
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 08:03 PM

Here's my turkey dog Buster (a Boykin/Watchtelhund cross) and a story of a hunt earlier this season. (I'm the fat guy on the left holding the nice W&C Scott....Earls on the right with his grandpappys Ansley Fox).

Just after daybreak Buster flushed a nice size flock of turkeys...at about 9 o'clock I shot my second bird...she came in yelping to beat the band...boom.
Earlier this bird to the north kept coming in but just wouldn't show herself and I'd also heard several more birds calling just north east of our location.

I told Buster to stay and walked over to Earl and suggested we move 50 to 75 yards to a different location..he agreed.

We walked back to where Buster was....As we were standing there mapping out a new strategy to get Earl his second bird the bird north of us started calling with'n 50 yards of us....I chose to just stand...told Buster to stay.
Earl immediately dropped down and bob cat'd about 10 yards north to a location with a good view of a fire break. I again whispered to Buster to stay and I started calling on a diaphragm.
The terrain of the fire break rolled slightly down and without offering Earl a shot the hen made it across and came in directly behind me.

Buster's faced a lot of turkeys over the years and has always did real good...but this was going to be the ultimate test as I was standing up and Buster was laying at my feet (unhidden)....the hen turkey came in talking six feet behind the 12 inch diameter Pine tree I'm leaned against.....eye ball to eye ball with Buster.
I'm looking directly at Earl and through his face mask I can tell he's laughing his ass off.....at this point I'd would have laid odds this turkey wasn't going to die today.

After what seemed like an eternity this hen comes out on my right side about 10 to 12 feet from Buster...Earl said Buster moved his head a little one time and the hen looked at him but Buster held and she went back to looking for the hen that she thought was calling down the hollow in front of her...I still had my doubts that this hen would die.

She inched on past Buster and I.....about 15 yards out Earl let her have it....boom.

We both busted out in laughter and disbelief that we had pulled this off.
Earl said he was wondering which one of us were going to screw up first....(meaning Buster and I)..... I was just hoping Earl didn't shoot us.
After all was said and done Earl commented that no one was going to believe this story when I told it.

Believe it or Not.

Posted By: lagopus Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 08:31 PM
Sammie the Chessy aged 9. Taken last year.

Sammie again; showing the finer arts of deer tracking.

And Bracken the young Chessie pup. Here aged 7 months and taken last month. This one is showing great promise and has many retrieves to her credit.

Me and my team above go to a lot of formal shoots picking up over here in England. Typically 2 or 3 days a week, (last year it was 4 or 5 days a week but we cut back a bit), so each will get several hundred birds to pick each season. Not a bad life for a dog! And the owner isn't complaining either. Lagopus.....
Posted By: tunes Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 09:40 PM
Dixie at 18 months, first time out with the 16ga Sterlingworth.

Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
Say it aint so Dave-a black plastic stock Benelli?!?

I must confess, it's a Beretta 390. It's a good mudder!
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/05/08 10:31 PM
My other huntn' buddy.

Posted By: Sven Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 12:03 AM
Mid-September in northwest ND

Late season in southwest ND

Posted By: Ian Forrester Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 05:05 AM
Canna at 9 months with her first sharptail

Islay (four years old) with a pheasant.

Posted By: RGS022 Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 06:36 AM
Here are our Llewellin, Hershey, and our 11 month old solid liver GSP, Loki, with his first woodcock taken in Michigan in late October 2007.

Here are Hershey and Loki again a few days later with a pair of Pa pheasants.

Here is the newest member of our family, an english setter named Derby. We adopted her in March of 2008. She is pointing a robin near an abandoned house near our home in Pa. She has terrific style, and is completely steady. She is amy pocket rocket. Only 20 inches tall and 32 pounds.

All three of our dogs live in the house with my wife and I. Loki was kicked by a horse one year ago tonight. It shattered his left rear femur and he had 7 bone grafts and two major operations to save the leg. He is my wife's baby.
We love them all.
Posted By: Geno Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 08:50 AM
My first hunting buddy passed away allmost 3 years ago, when he was 13.

Posted By: Snipe Hunter Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 03:03 PM
This is my buddy back in 2006. He will he fourteen in two months.

Posted By: Mike Armstrong Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 03:58 PM
RG, one of my hunting friends in NY has a dog named Hershey also, naturally a chocolate Lab. Hersh was abused, had 6 owners in his first year and a half. But Jim took him in, worked with him, and he is a bird-finding machine and a sweet good ol' boy now!

Neat pix and dogs, everyone!
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 04:50 PM
LeFusil,
my male is a porkchop at 50 lbs.

Max is 72 lbs., stands 28" at the shoulder. This picture was taken right before he went to the vets for his yearly check-up in Sept. 08.
Posted By: jim bledsoe Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 05:20 PM
You gotta love the attitude of those old Goldens!
Posted By: jim bledsoe Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 05:23 PM
[quote=775]Raven, she passed two weeks ago, Saturday.

Mark, sorry for your loss. It must be especially hard this time of year.
Posted By: RMC Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 08:56 PM
Can you believe how blessed we are to be in a sport that has a dog as a partner. He will never tell anyone of all the misses he has witnessed. Beautiful photos. There is a book to be written and illustrated on our dogs and the stories connected. Thank you, Joe. BTW, What kind of turkey call is around your neck and what is the Side Lock your leaning on. Give Buster a pat on the head. Under that kind of pressure, I'm surprised he didn't break. Good boy. Keep the photos coming, great look into our lives. Next are wife photos!!!!! Randy
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 09:42 PM
Clothed ?

The call is an Elephant Ivory Trumpet I made and the side lock is a Scott.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 10:01 PM
Stalking the wiley Kansas backyard squirrel

All 3 are gone now-makes this time of year sorta tough.
Posted By: grousewoods Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 10:41 PM
Bill when I seen this it was like wow I have a FB black& white named Parker and a AB liver&whits named Duke, they look like they could be litter mates. Send me your e-mail and I can send you photos.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/06/08 11:11 PM
After a quail hunt.

My springer as a pup.

Pete
Posted By: Greyduck Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/07/08 12:04 AM
Here is a picture of my lovely wife/hunting partner and 2 of our 4 Labs. My male Cody and her female Delta. After a very good morning at a small water hole up the hill from our house.

Posted By: Bblnut Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/07/08 04:43 AM

HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High (Bailey)

Posted By: sparkyflint Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/07/08 03:21 PM

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/M8qyPp1TmBV9VN2dEQ_wTQ[/img]
newest pup with her first live bird. She's a real character. I'm literally amazed as I just sit back and watch her talents develop.

I almost can't say that I'm training her, b/c sometimes she's training me.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/07/08 04:07 PM
Nice thread. Here's Lizzy at 3 1/2 months with her first Hun. Sorry about the photo clarity, but I liked this one.

Here's Lizzy, at the same age, with her first sharptail.

Finally here is Lizzy with her 7 year old mentor, Stretch, either pointing or honoring Stretch with a group of Huns.

While we are at it, here are a couple of photos you may have seen, but might be worth looking again.

Posted By: Briarscratch Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/07/08 05:06 PM
My 3 year old girl Lockie, a 16 gauge Model 21 and a report pair of NY grouse.

Some of her friends.

And her old mentor Ginger, who is now the official "Guarder of the Fort".

Posted By: RMC Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/08/08 03:58 AM
Briar... What's the odds of taking a grey and brown phase ruff on a double rise??? Great photos everyone. Got to be some more out there? Randy
Posted By: Briarscratch Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/10/08 08:49 PM
Randy, it was the crowning moment of a season. The gray flushed first and was a blur, but I can still see the red/brown flash it's tail in my mind's eye just before I made the shot. Both were retrieved to hand by my 3 year old Lab. The "high" lasted for days.
Posted By: Adam Stinson Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/10/08 09:44 PM

Adam
Posted By: Orry Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/10/08 10:36 PM
The other lab . . young and full of himself.

Posted By: FOXIST Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/11/08 01:19 PM
MY 3 1/2 YR. OLD "BAILEY" AND A COUPLE OF NICE RINGNECKS Paul
Posted By: FairChase Re: Hunting companion Pics - 12/11/08 04:53 PM
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8cc28...3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]

Last weekend, me on the left with my to pups Jake(L)and Sophie(R)

Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com