doublegunshop.com - home
Similar to the other other post I ask about those that advertise stock invisible repairs, checkering, stock making. If stock alone is sent the work man does not need a FFL, but if stock and receiver are szent as in most cases the craftsman needs a FFL. yes? How to ensure workman has a FFL and is legal complaint? CB
Ask him for a copy?
At least ask him for his FFL number there is a website https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck that lets you check address, name and expiry date.
The stock alone is no problem as that does not need anything but insurance to ship, and I'm fairly sure that so long as you did not sell item that a receiver can be shipped for work to be done on it.
In selling just a receiver for a sxs needs an FFL or if 50 yrs or older a C&R, kind of ridiculous.

If you find out that you have to go through a FFL dealer you can go to Auction Arms and try this.
http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm
JDW the atf considers the receiver or action a gun. But for gunsmithing I belive you're correct that no FFL is needed as long as it's sent back to the same person/address.
Mike,
I know, but a little hard to imagine just the receiver for a sxs to be a problem. I guess they figure it could still be used as a weapon. Almost as stupid as not being able to carry a small penknife or small scissors aboard an airline but okay to carry a pencil or ball point pen.
Ain't that the truth.
The ATF is not known for independent thinking...or thinking at all, to be frank.

As far I as I know, shipping a receiver (considered to be a gun by the AFT) or even a complete gun to the manf or gunsmith for work does not require an FFL. It is NOT a transfer.

However, I have had UPS (another bastion of intelligence) insist on having a copy of the receiving gunsmith's FFL in order to ship via them. This happened to me once only.
Sometimes it matters whether you are using UPS directly or an authorized agent of UPS.

Customers ship guns to me all the time without benefit of my having provided my FFL, and I never have any issue with return shipping.

Having said that, last week a customer was having difficulty getting an authorized UPS shipper to send me his gun without proof of my FFL. I offered to fax a copy to the agent, and he said "No, just read me the number and that will be sufficient". Go figure.
It was a UPS corporate shipping location....the authorized dealers (wrap and pack places) are even further back on the intelligence evolution curve.

In fairness, this was only one UPS location and I never had this issue at others.
Gentlemen;

As a stockmaker, it is important to keep ahead of the game. ATF rules state that the out-of-state person receiving the Serial Numbered part of a firearm be an FFL dealer.

You as a private citizen may ship it for repair with in the USA without using an FFL dealer UNLESS your STATE's firearm regulations require it. Shipping the metalwork without the FFL dealer on the other end violates ICC and ATF regulations for the interstate shipment of dangerous goods.

A gunstock by itself DOES NOT require an FFL to ship or recieve. However if you have the metalwork (barreled action, receiver, Pistol frame) in the same package... the craftsman must have an FFL to accept it. The only exception MAY be if the craftsman resides in the same state as the owner. Therefore it doesn't cross a state line via common carrier. One must carefully read your state regulations to be sure. It use to be more simple than this .....but it has really gotten complicated.
The contract UPS shippers have less liability to honor insurance claims than real UPS offices. Be careful. My local UPS contract shipper has sheets over his storefront and probably now is back in a third world country living in a cave. Use the ATF website to confirm that a dealer is really a currently licensed dealer and mail only to the address shown on the ATF website. Hit the "PRINT" key on your computer when the address screen comes up. I'm sure all internet gun site advertisers use this public website to confirm the correct address to which they are sending a gun. It is way too easy to create a fraudulent FFL copy. When a dealer just asks for a number of an FFL, he is confirming on the ATF website, just as you and I should.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com