doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Parkers.....good as gold - 02/22/09 09:58 PM
or, are they being priced like gold.
It's a rocky world for investments, so I'm thinking Parkers might be a good hard asset to own, like gold.
Any good ones left?
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/22/09 10:06 PM
Lowell,

Like gold the prices could fall slightly and then rise again. Overall Parkers and the Parker Reproductions seem to be steadily rising. I thought the Repro's had reached their peak prices but the market keeps proving me wrong! I think the original Parkers will continue to rise but for how long? But then what do I know? If only my LC Smiths would rise half as much as those Parkers...
Posted By: King Brown Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/22/09 10:12 PM
I don't know of gold being a good investment, Lowell, but my bet would be more on Parkers over time, particularly for those who just keep their eyes and ears open, talk and dream of them. In my experience, really good deals crop up in unexpected places every couple years.

I'm seeing the opposite here from US reports that gun sales are going through the roof. The guns-for-sale columns here are running two columns in trade magazines. Joe Salter, a Nova Scotian with offices here and US, reports booming business. As an investment, I'd go Parker before gold.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 03:09 PM
I walked away from a VHE 1 frame 16 straight stock at an auction Saturday. It went for 1500 and had a dented right tube and abused stock. Restorabale, sure but I figured at least 800 to do the repairs right.
bill
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 03:34 PM
yes they're out there. i have examined 20ga with nice engraving and wear in all the right places. the price was 8k if i remember correctly. nice handling firearm for sure.
higher grade aa series that cost great deal more tend to have engraving second to none!
Posted By: James M Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 03:41 PM
Right now,and as much as I apreciate well made doubles, I'd put any extra money into either Bushmaster or Colt AR 15s. It's only a matter of time before these and a whole slew of other firearms are once again banned.
Jim
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 03:47 PM
key word is "BANNED". gee, don't you hate to throw 1k+ into say a fireplace?
Posted By: George L. Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 05:00 PM
For about fifteen years I held securities licenses: 6,63,7,& 26. It was my job to help folks invest their money in paper. I guess it took me that long to realize that what they were doing was a lot like going to Las Vegas, except there were no free drinks and floor shows.

My investments are now in guns and land & I've never lost money in either.

Just My Thoughts.........George
Posted By: Jack Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 07:05 PM
It depends how good you are in judging Parker quality and condition.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 08:55 PM
Jack, if we were to average the judgement of members here considering quality and condition, it's a safe bet that not only Parkers but other decent American guns would beat gold, in my opinion.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 10:24 PM
if and when they "Ban" the black rifles the value will go up even higher then they are now.If they go to confiscation, the 1k+ you talk of Jag will be the least of your worries !The guns,even the ones you guys think are "better then gold" will be next !!!!

Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 11:35 PM
ok lets say they ban them and price goes up sooo......? come to think of it they will proly make it permanent acquisition to original owner anyway so it's not like they will be able to move them.
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 11:48 PM
PJ that is my thoughts too

tim
Posted By: James M Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/23/09 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Initially;Further manufacture and sale to civilians of military type weaponery is what will be banned. All those currently owned by civilians at this time will be grandfathered until the grabbers can figure out a way to force people to register them.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/24/09 01:19 AM
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Initially;Further manufacture and sale to civilians of military type weaponery is what will be banned. All those currently owned by civilians at this time will be grandfathered until the grabbers can figure out a way to force people to register them.

And then the value,when further sales are prohibited,goes up,way up.I was "behind the counter" when Clinton (and our now AG Holder,and well as Biden and a lot of others in B Hussian WHwhere in power) and saw the prices jump to double and more.If you want one better get it now,if your worried about confiscation then you should be buying more ammo for it NOT losing "1k+" !!!!!! BTW B Hussian will try and get them all,yours too Jag. Soon you will realize your no different because you didn't buy a black rifle or voted for them !You will be throwing more then money in the fireplace if you don't wake up.......

B Hussian may well be the best gun sales promo ever even if he brings the DOW down to 6500 !! (and Gold to 1500)
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/24/09 12:09 PM
Dave, I think all gun owners will ban together no matter what comes down the pike. I sometimes don't think you give us enough credit for knowing whats at stake.
Posted By: Dave K Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/24/09 02:15 PM
LG,
at one time I would have also thought that,but even here on this forum, there are those that will let them take the AW and and hand guns because they will buy the "non sporting" bs and figure they will never come for their double shotgun.I hope your right and I am wrong but seeing "fellow" gun owners sell out to B Hussien and his merry band of gun grabbers (Holder,Pelosi,Schumer to name just a few) and drinking the koolaid of "change" (they will see real change when they open that IRA statement !!)make me wonder how many will indeed stand up for al gunowners.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 03:22 AM
lets just say if i was to invest in classic american double it would not be a parker or some kind of farmers gun from other makers either. i would tell you what is sure to gain in value but other eyes are out here and i want to pick up couple of good ones for meself.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 03:53 AM
The only American firearms that have the numbers and imho the clout for investment, are Parkers, Colt SAAs and Winchester lever guns. What all three have in common are the numbers game - it then turns out to be a needle in the haystack original high condition game. Sorting through so many klunkers to find that certain one.
He who has the most high condition wins then and not the most.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 04:32 AM
It's a common misconception that Parkers are collected based on condition.
Posted By: griz Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 04:54 AM
Big 10-4 on the condition, Lowell...Be it Parker, Winchester, Colt or any other collectible firearm. If you are a collector vs. just a shooter like me, then it's condition, condition, condition.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 11:52 AM
Could be, but so is buying the London gun for fit and finish.
I don't see much mentioned about Parkers and their field worthiness.
...but I bet they make a good hobby.
Posted By: big-k Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 01:05 PM
I own a medium size gun shop in ohio....the parkers and all the good american SXS will be a strong holdings in the future. We will see it harder and harder to keep hand guns and sniper rifles and anything that shoots several rounds fast. In the not so distant future. (hope im wrong) The SXS shotgun will be the last stronghold firearm. This will drive demand for the quality guns, and prices will rise with that demand! A lowly savage 311 will also have demand. You may need 20K to buy a Parker repro that is ANIB. Yes thay are a sollid commodity, sollid investment. MY advice...only buy hi original condition guns! Better to have a few good ones than a big bunch of so-so guns. thanks All Kenny Graft in Ohio..(-: stay warm...stay Happy!
Posted By: King Brown Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 02:39 PM
I think you're right-on, Kenny. Your observation re handguns and sniper rifles may be why they're in such high US demand now--- but not shotguns.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 02:46 PM
You are right Lowell. It's very common to read accounts from 100 years ago where Parkers were taken into the field and failed to bring home the game. In fact, for a period of time PETA considered endorsing the Parker gun given that they are the only gun that is completely unable to hurt an animal.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 02:55 PM
My opinion of GregSY is getting a bit of a boost here. To add to Greg's post, 100 years later, Parkers are still failing to perform in the field, and, yes, also on the clay target field and pigeon ring. PETA would be proud.
Posted By: EDM Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
My opinion: Parkers are still failing to perform...

Using a Parker afield or at the traps is like fly fishing with bamboo, strictly a personal preference and a connection to the past. Emotion. A more rational gun (or tool) for reducing birds to possession would be a Remington 870, cheap, reliable, disposable, and more shots. Condition is nothing. Destry used to joke that our duck hunting guides in Dalacroix LA would just toss their 870s in the back of their truck with a few fist-fulls of sand and let them slide around on the way home to get rid of the rust. Different strokes! They admired our Parkers but wouldn't own one for free. They wanted a "tool" to kill ducks.

As to condition, condition is everything but slightly subject to availability. If you want a common VH(E) 12-bore the pecking order is pretty clear and the Blue Book somewhat instructive. But scarcity sometimes trumps outright condition, especially in the early lifter guns; in other words, don't hold out for a high condition T-Latch or a 16- or 20-bore lifter gun.

As to buying Parkers as an investment, I think selected stocks blue chip stocks are the better deal now. ATT at today's price pays a 7.2% dividend, it's making money, and just raised the dividend. The market IMHO is over-sold and panic sellers are not rational. It takes some guts to buy low when everyone is selling, but in retrospect is the best way to buy. Parkers are pretty high now and might go higher, but they don't pay any dividend unless you shoot them, and if you shoot them they aren't "investment" grade. EDM
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 04:33 PM
Hunting and shooting clays with an ugly gun is like dating an ugly woman. I do admit to using a ugly plastic stocked autoloader in very adverse weather conditions but I prefer a nice handling SxS, be it old or new!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/25/09 05:47 PM
I must be getting really old. I use fairly nice side by sides even in bad weather. Many years of collecting have blessed me with a few beaters of high quality. I guess everyone realizes that Greg's and my statements about PETA and Parkers were tongue in cheek, but I'm not entirely sure of that.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/26/09 03:17 AM
You're not old if you want elegance and endurance on your arm. Bill. Rain or shine, to have a Parker is to have a prisoner in your heart.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/26/09 03:44 AM
To have a Parker is to be a captive of its soul, a prisoner of its whims and a slave to its desires to be fondled.
Posted By: James M Re: Parkers.....good as gold - 02/26/09 06:22 AM
I agree as life is too short for either ugly women or ugly guns.
Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com