doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CMWill OT - $$ shell box! - 03/07/09 09:43 PM
And I thought the Ithaca Oil can was up there!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prairie-Chicken-Cart...%3A1|240%3A1318
Posted By: Don Moody Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/07/09 10:24 PM
Standard Trap Load!

It is neat, and may be rare, but it ain't that neat!
Posted By: postoak Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/07/09 10:34 PM
Has to be some shill bidding going on.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/08/09 08:55 AM
A friend and I were just talking about this today. From what we can figure out, it's a previously unknown box.

DLH
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/08/09 01:09 PM
I believe it is as Destry stated. Second the seller didn't know what it was worth because of his starting price and without a reserve. From his feedbacks he is 100%. I'm sure the bids that are way up there are from people who know what it is. Also you can see that there are multiple bids by more than one person.
There aren't many people that "throw" away 2k.
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/08/09 02:44 PM
"There aren't many people that "throw" away 2k."

That's the beauty of ebay - all you need is two people who are willing to throw away a lot of money on something meaningless and you have a horse race.
Posted By: mike campbell Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/08/09 02:51 PM
Interesting box. So far, it's chump change to the serious collectors, especially if it's one of a kind. One of two known Winchester boxes sold for $17,000.

Bo-Whoop might be "meaningless" to those guys.

Posted By: Rd Show Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 12:35 AM
Final Price $5600.00.(unreal)
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 11:39 AM
Anyone have a comment on the message printed on the bottom of the box? "Makes the use of Smith or Parker loads unneccesary" implies that the wadding and shell construction brings these Peters loads up to the level of quality of loads we have never heard of. Maybe Smith and Parker recommended hot 1 1/4 ounce loads for prarie chickens?
Posted By: PeteM Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 12:39 PM
I do not know what Smith & Parker were recommending. Lefever recommended hotter loads for pigeon...

3 bidders at the $5,000+ level?

Pete
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 01:14 PM
I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to get that feeling I hate when I didn't take action when I could have.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 06:34 PM
That box will get restored and then be put back on the market again at double what the auction price was. I'd be willing to bet that it will appear in a real sporting collectibles sale or auction in the next year or two and bring a lot more money.

DLH
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 07:05 PM
I see posters and other stuff made of paper 'restored' all the time. I have a hard time with anything made of paper or canvas that has been restored. We like to moan and groan over a Parker that's had its checkering recut so why would it be OK to replace 50% of a piece of paper?
Posted By: George L. Re: OT - $$ shell box! - 03/09/09 07:26 PM
P.T. Barnum put it best: "THERE'S A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE"

Just My Humble Opinion.........George
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com