doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: H&H12 bore alex martin ribless "value" - 04/04/09 08:05 PM
Guys

I am having trouble finding relieable auction results or pricing info on an Alex Martin "ribless" in at least 95% condition and shot very little. original makers case included

Any ideas on the value of said gun. I know it's hard to do without pics and such, but I know it's in at least 95% condition.

What a beauty!!

H&H
Posted By: lagopus Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/04/09 08:09 PM
Side lock or boxlock; non-ejector or ejector. All will have a big bearing on value. Sounds interesting. Smallbore should be your man on this one as he gets to a lot of auctions. Not a type of gun that you see a lot of; I presume that it will be a fairly light gun. Lagopus.....
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/04/09 08:15 PM
Lago

Boxlock, ejector, 2.5" 27" barrels F&F----6lbs, 2oz

NICE

H&H
Posted By: GregSY Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/04/09 09:29 PM
Leroy Merz has one on his site
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/04/09 11:16 PM
Yes.........but any idea of the value at auction for a gun in that condition??

H&H
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 12:14 AM
H and H, your request is hard to answer. In boxlocks, as you indicate your interest, there were varying qualities offered by Martin. Do you know the engraving, locking system, wood quality, etc ? Then, which auctions are you thinking of ? British, American , Continental or ?? Your question , I am sorry to say, is phrased so that any answer may be wrong.
Posted By: PM Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 12:20 AM
What is the condition? What are you looking for? Do you intend to auction it? It does have nice wood.
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 12:51 AM
My apologies, it is a rather vague question, The gun is not mine.
I was just curious because I don't recall ever seeing one for sale in the last ten years or so of the DGJ and or SS or online for that matter?

I just figured a 95 % condition rating would be close enough for a guesstimation.

I was curious as to how good it would do at the RIA premeire auction comming up in Sept. it looks to be all original and in very fine shape.

H&H
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 01:37 AM
H and H, of course the auctions will charge the seller a 15% plus or minus premium, and the buyer from 12-17.5% premium , too. This all affects the gun's net for the owner. Maybe for a single gun, a website such as Gunbroker.com or Auctionarms.com is the best idea. At least the seller gets , within a few $ what the sales price is.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 01:39 AM
People who know Martin ribless guns aren't running around in bunches. Fewer still are actively seeking one out. Most are quite light, but, it is an odd sort of light, with a strange bias toward the action/buttstock. They come to life in 20 gauge, provided some idiot hasn't put a pad on it.
You will have the only one on your block. It will be hard to sell.
Been there, done that.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 02:40 AM
keep in mind gents, i was ony curious and it just seemed like a really nice gun to start a conversation with.

I can imagine that gun in a 20 gauge! WOW

Granted, it would take a rather specialized collector/person to buy i guess as I agree with your statement that there ain't exactly a whole lotta folks looking for one of those guns.

Ted -
Did you have a martin per se, and had trouble selling it later?

H&H
Posted By: L. Brown Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 01:14 PM
If the issue here is acquiring a ribless Martin simply to own one, that's one thing. However, if one is after a lightweight Brit 12, it seems to me that one might end up paying a premium in this case, simply because it's a ribless Martin, when there are other lightweight Brit 12's out there, of more conventional design, for which you'd likely pay less--simply because they're NOT ribless Martins. I have a pair of Scott-made Army & Navy 2 1/2" 12's, 28" barrels, both just a bit under 6 1/4. That's with ribs and plenty of barrel wall thickness. That's definitely on the light end of the scale for Brit 12's, but they're out there if you do a little looking, and you can get there without paying whatever premium you might fork over for a ribless Martin.

I have a 12 bore Lindner Daly Featherweight that's almost half a pound lighter (but with 26" barrels).
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 03:22 PM
Yup. and, yup. I didn't have the heart to alter the chokes or the stock (I'm lefthanded) of such a unique gun. It was for sale for a long time. I've handled a few along the way, and they were all for sale as well.
The only guns I've seen were boxlocks.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: M D Christian Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 03:52 PM
$2500 to $4500, depending on grade and amount of engraving.. MDC
Posted By: lagopus Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 05:23 PM
Difficult to give a value but on the information supplied I could see it anywhere between £1,000 and £1,750 in Britain. A lot would depend on subtlties like cased or not, quality of engraving etc. Lagopus.....
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/05/09 06:30 PM
Lago

I was trying to avoid this as it is not my gun or photo's

Here is a link

http://merzantique.com/item.php?id=3516_0_2_0

H&H
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 12:58 AM
A.A.Brown made some of the Alex Martin ribless guns.A ribless 12.G Boxlock ejector by Alex Martin [but believed in this instance made by A.A. Brown]sold recently for $5,000 Cdn;Or Approx $4500 U.S..This was truly a best gun.It appeared to be in unfired condition. The finish was typical of the standard of excellence seen in guns made by A.A.Brown.
The Mitchell library, University of Glasgow, has information on the Alex Martin ribless gun posted on their web site.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 01:31 PM
Pretty nice condition, but it looks restocked to me. Awfully "showy" wood for a Brit boxlock, even a higher grade one. Anyone else??
Posted By: APS Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 01:53 PM
I have two of these- purchased a few years back.

Boxlock 12 bore with 90 % condition with origional case paid in the $5000 range

Boxlock 16 bore 100% rebuild in UK with origional case in the $6000 range

These are both true Martin guns. There seem to be very few of these in the US. The 12 is the best little bird gun. 16 is butt heavy but a joy to shoot with proper light loads.

al
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 02:01 PM
APS

if you don't mind my asking, did you buy here from a dealer, auction or import yourself?

H&H
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 02:23 PM
As Mr. Brown said. There are other English guns that are as light or lighter without the daylight between the barrels. It's a very nice boxlock with very nice wood, but too much money I believe. JMHO
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 03:30 PM
That picture looks like the gun I owned-except for the butt stock.

When a boxlock starts getting above about $2500 in price, it's got to be a pretty special piece in my opinion. I will happily admit I'm cheap, and not a collector, just a shooter. I wouldn't pay more than that sum for just about anything boxlock, including the Tzar's Parker. That said, I fall into the camp that believes the boxlock design an improvement upon the sidelock design, and considers the market to have it backwards, a happy set of circumstances, for me. Getting the balance right on a Martin is a tough task, and is a further strike against buying one sight unseen, and for more than average cost, compared to similar, conventional guns.

If you just have to have one, they are nice little guns, if, and that is a big if, they are done right. Like a tatoo, you better like it.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: GregSY Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 04:07 PM
They're really not ribless, more like half-ribbed.
Posted By: APS Re: alex martin ribless "value" - 04/06/09 04:28 PM
The 12 came from a dealer. The 16 from an individual.

It has been a few years since i got these. They are not seen very often in the US.

al
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com