doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: sfq 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 01:49 PM
Does anyone know where 2 1/2" 14 guage shotgun shells can be had?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 03:13 PM
Have Rocky Mountain Cartridge or Stars and Stripes ammo make them for you. They will be brass and will last forever.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 04:24 PM
I've had two different friends search high and low for a maker and there just isn't one anymore. It's have brass shells turned out by one of the above or have a set of inserts made and shoot it as a sub-gauge.

DLH
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 04:26 PM
I have one WW brass hull. If you need dimensions let me know.

bill
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 05:51 PM
Hello
I have a 14 ga Lefever that I shoot. I use brass made by Rocky Mountain. There good brass but there thick like paper cases.
I also use Greener 14 ga police. The body of the Greener fits fine but the rim is to thick and to big around. So I turned them down and they fit fine. I also opened the primer pockets up to hold a 209 primer. By doing this it didnt leave alot of meat inside the case for the primer and after a few shots the primer pocket started leaking.
As for old 14 ga. cases forget it. Ive got about 20 different ones. Brass, Paper, American and from overseas. I dont think they were standardized, as some wont fit and others fall in rim and all.
If you go the way of Rocky Mtn, he will have you make a chamber cast of your gun and then make them from the case you sent him.
Bob
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 06:30 PM
I believe Winchester made some 14ga aluminum shells for the Model 59, which was originally designed as a 14ga gun (and there are a few out there in 14ga). However, not likely anyone would part with those shells. Pretty much collector's stuff.
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 08:51 PM
Hello

The aluminum shells are not really 14 ga. They are very close to being 18ga. and there not hard to find as they were made in the 1960s. Ive seen full boxes of them for sale on ebay. Your right about them being made for the model 59 and there was at lease one model 21 chambered for them.

As for the real 14 ga a brass Win case will bring at least $20.

I went and measured the rims on the 14 ga. cases that I have and they run anywhere from .810 to .846. The ones that I had made for my Lefever are .820.

Bob
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: 14 guage shells - 07/15/09 09:38 PM
These people advertize three different 14 ga shotshells.

http://www.ammunitions.com/1.pdf
Posted By: jjames Re: 14 guage shells - 07/16/09 12:51 AM
I searched high and low for 14 ga hulls when I was considering buying a particular drilling. I had no luck even with correspondence with Chedite in France. I spoke to Rocky Mountain several times and they advised me brass hulls need "perfect" chambers and double barrel guns are problematic as the brass shells fire form and might not fit in both chambers after they have been fired. I gave up after several months and passed on the drilling.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: 14 guage shells - 07/16/09 01:12 AM
http://www.soldusa.com/detail.asp?id=8005

Wouldn't want to shoot 500 a week at that price!

Mike
Posted By: sfq Re: 14 guage shells - 07/16/09 10:41 AM
Thank you for the info, Daryl, I'll try "info@ammunitions.com. Have asked one of the specialty makers what it would take to make some? 8's for targets,and 6's for field loads. I'm thinking 1oz, 2 3/4dram,2 1/2" cases,1000 ft per sec,or slightly less. SFQ PS Does anyone think there is a market for them?
Posted By: 12brd Re: 14 guage shells - 07/16/09 01:56 PM
Here's one from my collection.
Posted By: 12brd Re: 14 guage shells - 07/16/09 01:59 PM
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: 14 guage shells - 07/16/09 11:31 PM
I've actually emailed that address more than once asking about 10 gauge shells and never had a response. I don't know who those folks are, would be interesting if it was actually a real company.

The market for the shells would be so narrow I doubt you could ever get anybody to do a production run unless you were willing to cover all costs. And like somebody mentioned before. all 14 gauge guns aren't the same.

Destry
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 07/17/09 08:19 PM
[img][/img]

I know those win shells say 14 ga on them but there really not 14 ga. There between 16 ga. and 20 ga. measure them. So please dont use them in an old 14ga. gun.
If this picture turns out it is one of some different real 14ga. shells.
Bob
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 07/17/09 11:00 PM
[img][/img]
Here is my 100 count box of New Rival 14 ga shells.
Bob
Posted By: Subgauge Re: 14 guage shells - 07/20/09 01:54 AM
Bob
I hope you know the value of your box.

It is worth very very much.
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 07/20/09 02:34 AM
Mark
Yes I have an idea what its worth. I got my 14ga Lefever and just had to shoot it. So I bougth everything I could find with 14 ga on it. Ive even got a full set of reloading tools in 14 ga.
Posted By: DrBob Re: 14 guage shells - 07/20/09 05:49 AM
Bob,
Find me a Lefever 14 Guage, E grade or above and I will pay you some serious bucks to load me a box of 25 to try it out.
Posted By: hotrack Re: 14 guage shells - 07/20/09 09:57 AM
Try Bornaghi Italy, they were making them, I know a guy here in Australia who has a couple of cases, you may have to wait a while while they import them.

Hotrack
Posted By: sfq Re: 14 guage shells - 07/29/09 12:49 PM
Hotrack; Thanks for the lead, will try it. sfq
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: 14 guage shells - 03/01/10 06:54 PM
Hi,
I sold a 14G to a German 9 years ago and I remember that at that time Fiochii made a run of about a million cases every few years.
Regards
Martin
Posted By: SKB Re: 14 guage shells - 03/01/10 10:21 PM
Any luck sfq? I too need some 14ga paper cases, who would have thought there was so much demand.
Steve
Posted By: Ithaca Fan Re: 14 guage shells - 03/01/10 11:36 PM
Has anyone tried Ahlman's in Morristown MN? The last time I was there they had some 32ga stuff but I don't recall if they had any 14ga.
Posted By: Oldfarmer Re: 14 guage shells - 03/02/10 09:54 AM
Sir
I shoot with a lovely 14 bore made by Perrins of Worcester – see our owners club web site for a picture of me firing it with BP.
http://www.perrins-gunmaker-of-worcester.org.uk/john_clements,_uk.htm
It is nitro proofed so when I haven’t had time to reload some BP cartridges I use 16 bore cartridges with a couple of layers of masking tape wrapped round them to make a snug fit. It works well in my gun but try it at your own risk!! I think plastic wads work best.
I had about 20 brass cases made by Rocky mountain and bought about 70 from a firm called Kiramco somewhere here in the UK – forgotten where. These were thin brass cases, once fired. Unfortunately they had thick rims and small primmer pockets. A friend turned down the rims for me and resized the pockets. They are excellent but unfortunately I think someone has polished the chambers on my gun – so they don’t extract reliably. Kiramco had more but can’t find their address.
If anyone wants to make me an offer for some or all send me a PM.
The 14 is such a nice round I am surprised they fell out of popularity – I know they are close to the 16 but I think they are great.
JC
Posted By: sfq Re: 14 guage shells - 03/04/10 04:42 PM
Gentleman, I have searched and spoken to most everyone in the business,even offered to buy a pallet, 96 cases, no luck yet. Thought I would sell some of the excess,forgot you need a license to do it.Even heard the King of Spain shot 14's. He shoots 32,s. However have found 2 empty Eley cases and have seen the remaining 98 in the original box. Have also acquired 100 Italian cases, and 2 unfired ones. Bob,think you could load them?. Still trying to get some modern ones made! sfq
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: 14 guage shells - 03/04/10 08:13 PM
Add me to the list for shells/hulls. I have 2 14s, some old paper shells not fit to load and 10 new brass. Not quite up to the round of skeet yet.
I did try the BPI 16 Euro wads in the 14 barrels. I pushed the wads through the barrels with a cleaning rod. The wads have a seal ring around the base that fits 14 bores snuggly.
No loaded tests yet.

Joe
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: 14 guage shells - 03/04/10 10:22 PM
I'd get chamber sleeves 14 ga to 20 ga made up with a new extractor. You can glue them in and heat them up to remove later.
I have a single shot German 16x2 1/2", I glued a Gaugemate 16-28 into place, built up the extractor, and use it for shooting magpies around the farm. I am looking at a nice 10ga English hammer gun, I plan on glueing 12 ga Gaugemates in those chambers too.
Mike
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 03/05/10 02:16 AM
Steve
I cant load paper as I dont have a roll or star crimper in 14 ga. I load brass 14 ga. If there brass shells they have to have 209 primers for me to be able to load. The other problem would be shipping them from Alaska. UPS is a no go for shells from up here.
Posted By: SKB Re: 14 guage shells - 03/05/10 12:16 PM
Bob,
if you are interested in letting go of some paper cases I would be happy to arrange shipping. Additionally I could make you a roll crimper for 14 ga, they are pretty easy to make.
Steve
Posted By: Bob Noble Re: 14 guage shells - 03/05/10 06:15 PM
SKB
I dont really want to sale any. I collect 14 ga stuff. I think ive got around 200 14 ga shell of one make or another.
It all started when I got a 14ga Lefever and it was my goal to shoot it. I found out quickly that there were not any standards for the 14 ga shell. Most of them would not fit, mostly with the rims.
I altered some Greener 14 ga police shells. I thinned and mad the dia of the rimms smaller so that they would work. I then cut the primer pocket so it would thak a 209 primer. Well after 3 or 4 firings the primer pockets started leaking. So I sent chamber casts to rock mtn cartridge and he made me 50 of them. They are the ones I use today.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com