doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Barb Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 04:25 PM
This site a little different from most. Had trouble finding where I post...I would like to know the value of a Lefever Nitro Special, S# 195963. On the barrel it has LLH Double Barrel 12 guage, made in Ithca, New York. Has picture of flying duck over a swamp. I think it may have been made in 1924. It is in good condition. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated. Barb
Posted By: rabbit Re: Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 04:40 PM
Product of Ithaca Gun Co., Ithaca NY. Has a following among shooters. To the best of my recall, currently realizing 2-500$ at sale. Sky's the limit for a collector gun (lots of original finish and condition) but even that sky has a ceiling below 1K$. You might also wish to check THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES; find it at most gun stores, big box book stores. Probably the major interest here is that your barrelset has LLH stamped and legible. Stamp of Belgium concern providing "tubes" (rough barrel blanks) to U.S. manufacturers.

jack
Posted By: PeteM Re: Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 07:44 PM
LLH is the mark of Laurent Lochet-Habran. You can find more about them here:
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/art...aurent%20gb.htm

LLH was a major supplier of barrel tubes to US makers. They supplied both damascus and fluid barrels depending on the customers needs.

Their mark, LLH can be found on Ithaca, Lefever, LC Smith and other American guns.

Other Belgian maker's trade marks can be found here:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

As Jack stated, these are considered good shootable guns.

Pete
Posted By: Two Triggers Re: Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 08:25 PM
Barb: American doubles had their heyday from the late 1800s to about 1950 (speaking very generally here). One way to look at them is to divide them into two main categories. 1) The best guns from the biggest names, including Parker, Fox, Ithaca, Lefever and a few others; and 2) everything else. Your Lefever Nitro Special is in the second category, but considered to be at the top of that list, or darn near it. Many of the "big names" also built sturdy, plain, and less expensive "working guns" to expand down-market, and that's how I would describe the Nitro Special. It was built by Ithaca, using the name of a respected competitor they had acquired a few years earlier (Lefever Arms). As has been stated, it's a fine old gun that, if in good condition, most of us here would be happy to own, but it's also fairly common and not likely to bring more than a few hundred dollars if you go to sell it. Good luck. TT
Posted By: Barb Re: Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 09:13 PM
Thanks to all of you that responded to my question. The gun has original finish and is in good condition. It belonged to my father-in-law who passed away many years ago and left it to my husband who passed away in 2007. It was his pride and joy. Since I am more into hand guns, and not the long ones, thinking of selling those.

Since you have been most helpful on the Lefever gun, maybe some of you could give me a little information on another one that I am not sure about. Remington 22 short or long, Made in USA, Model 514...patent pending.

Also have others
Posted By: PeteM Re: Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 09:28 PM
From the Remington site:

Description: Bolt Action, Single Shot
Introduction Year: 1948
Year Discontinued: 1970
Total Production: Approximately: 757,624
Designer/Inventor: K. Lowe
Action Type: Bolt Action
Caliber/Gauge: .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle
# of Grades Offered: 14A, 514P, 514BC -- later changed to 514BR (boys rifle)

Like so many of the old 22rf guns with high production numbers, the value is not very high, $100-$200.

Pete
Posted By: Barb Re: Information on value of gun - 01/22/11 10:27 PM
Thank You for information....Appreciate it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com