doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chris Schotz Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 01:52 AM
Where can I purchase a used one of these style cases? I've looked, maybe not hard enough, but haven't found any. I know I can buy new and may do so. Any good sources?
Thanks,
Chris
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 02:12 AM
There new ones here.

http://www.dhshotguns.com/Shooting_Accessories.html

And there are some used ones on ebay the last time I looked.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 02:35 AM
Gee, treblig, the price sure is right.

I saw a HUEY case once and then and there understood why they cost 2 or 3 grand. Then again, who in their right mind would pay 2 or 3 grand for a gun case? OK OK, I know and I've been very guilty in that department.
Posted By: MattH Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 02:41 AM
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/

Jeff's Outfitters has NEW toe-under cases. Both leather and canvas. Looks like they start around $200.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 02:49 AM
I think they are a little easier to find in the UK, sold as VC cases. Frances Lovel in the UK sells refurbished cases - you might want to check with them but with shipping (and VAT?) it may not be a good deal compared to a new one from Jeff's.

Lovel
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 03:09 AM
Marc,
Did you see some of those side x sides he has for sale?

http://www.dhshotguns.com/grade4wood.html

Those and a nice case would go hand in hand with each other.
VC case = very compact case also known as "toe under". It became a popular case style when cars first got boots (trunks). Churchill sold many of them with his XXV guns.
I have a BMW Z3. VC cases help when space is limited.

Joe
Posted By: canvasback Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 03:11 PM
I have a number of regular cases and one toe under case from Jeff's.

If I had it to do over, all new cases I ever buy, I would buy toe under. So much more convenient size and weight.

Thought Jeff's was good for the money but would also like to find similar design but higher quality. Not just more leather but better built.
One often sees the Parker Repro cases around. If they are used enough for you, they are pretty decent.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 04:19 PM
Trebig - No, I missed them last night. Some striking guns for sure!
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. As many stated, the reason I want one is for the smaller size of the Toe under cases, more for transport in the car than for anything else. Are the DeHanncases the same as Jeffs outfitters? They sure look like it in there site pictures.
I will post an add in the other section, maybe someone has one they don't need.
Daryl, are the Parker cases toe under?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris, yes , the Parker Repro cases are toe under.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 11:38 PM
I might be wrong about this but in general I have found that cases (not only gun but others as well) that have one or two combo locks are inferior to those that have a single keyed lock.

I don't know why, but Mexican and Hong Kong cases tha tfall apart quickly all seem to have the double-combo locks.

Sort of like real crappy double-sash windows have two closers - not one. I think it compensates for crummy construction and fit.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 11:42 PM
I( have some Jeff's green canvas toe-unders cases, for the money they are unbeatable
Posted By: Replacement Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 11:43 PM
I think the Parker Repro cases were made by Emmebi.

http://www.emmebi.it/eng/index.html

Years ago, Jeff's had a line of leather toe-under cases that were almost exact ringers for the Parker Repro cases, but with no Parker label. I bought one for my Parker VHE 16, and it was perfect for that gun. Really a nice case, but not quite as good as the real thing. Emmebi cases are quite expensive and I don't think they have a current US importer/distributor.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/05/12 11:51 PM
Quote:
I might be wrong about this but in general I have found that cases (not only gun but others as well) that have one or two combo locks are inferior to those that have a single keyed lock.

I don't know why, but Mexican and Hong Kong cases tha tfall apart quickly all seem to have the double-combo locks.

I have several Emmebi cases with double combo locks and they are neither cheap, nor Chinese, nor Mexican. I prefer combo locks on my cases because I don't have to keep track of those little keys.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 12:16 AM
There was a fellow in the northeast who built custom toe under cases and, I believe, advertised on this site. His name escapes me now. I have one of his cases for my Dickson that is essentially an oak and leather toe under contained in the equivalent of an Americase with a padded canvas outer cover. It is quite over built and heavy for its extremely compact size. I think a gun dropped a couple of stories would be fine inside this case. Wish I could remember the builder.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 12:32 AM
Quote:
Wish I could remember the builder.

Arno Werner?

http://www.wernerdesign.biz/products_gun_cases.htm
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 12:57 AM
Really nice stuff, but I don't think so. I'm thinking this fellow was either written up once or advertised in SSM 5-10 years ago.

Edit: I believe it was Pete Kogut from New Hampshire. I could not find a website.
I think that Pete's website is DoubleGunCases.com
Now I can't find the website, but here's Pete's info: 36 Pleasant Street
Farmington, NH 03835-3724, tel. 603-755-3007
Pete did fine stock work and repaired a vintage leather case for me a couple of years ago.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Gnomon

Sort of like real crappy double-sash windows have two closers - not one. I think it compensates for crummy construction and fit.

I have the all leather case from Galazan with a single keyed lock. It fell off. Literally the lock fell of the case one day. No abuse, hardly any use. Just fell off one day.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 03:08 AM
I had a canvas and leather Galazan case that was almost that bad - the lock retaining pins kept backing out and inspired zero confidence that the case was secure. The leather case I got from Galazan was better built. They don't offer a VC/toe under case for some reason.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 03:38 AM
Quote:
the lock retaining pins kept backing out

Add a tiny dab of clear epoxy and tap them back in. Done.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 05:16 AM
That was exactly what I did but I won't be buying another one of those cases again.

Someone posted something about Disse cases recently. Their cases look pretty good for the money (I have not seen one in person yet) - I wonder if they could be persuaded to make a toe under case.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 02:42 PM
There is no imported at the present for Emmebi case. I imported them for many years. They are great cases and of top quality. The Parker reproduction cases were made by them. They are still in business. The prices are very high on these cases now and most folks go for the China and Mex cases as the are about 1/3 to 1/4 the price

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Houston, TX
Hey there KK- I can name you one dude who did- George Herbert Walker Bush (I forget the number, but he is the first of the two "Bush-Boy Presidents"- his sonny-boy is Dubya-- anyway- he has several fine Model 21's and has Huey cases for them--

If I wanted a gun slip, and not a motor case as shown, I would possibly consider New England Out of Gloucester sail makers canvas and leather from a Arabia camel (deceased of course) whether the camel was a humped once, or humped twice - Machts Nicht--) and the hide from the foot assembly of said Dromedary- no tougher leather than on a camel-toe!! Cheers!! RWTF
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 06:02 PM
Was that necessary?
Posted By: Doverham Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/06/12 06:21 PM
I think WTF? may be a better signoff than RWTF confused
Probably not- But- two op. code cretieria apply here, troopies: (1) It is true- check it out. G.W. H. Bush does hunt quails etc with M21 double guns, and he has Huey cases for them. I read that fact in The American Hunter- and like its NRA counter-part, The American Rifleman- they only report the true stuff- and (2) It's part of the fun of being on a open forum run by a gentleman who believes in both the 1st and the 2nd Amendments- 24/7-365--and Yup- I'll go with the WTF- there was a news clip on CSNBC whatever about a town in the great American Midwest named "Wallingford" and to celebrate their centennial this coming June 2012, the City fathers ordered T-shirts with large "WTF" stamped on front and back-- Welcome To Wallingford-- go check it out!!!
Ill drink to That, Laddy-buck!!
Posted By: Classicioi Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/07/12 03:07 AM
Chris,

I have an extra English made Brady case that has hardly ever been used that's in excellent condition.It's not a toe under case but is very compact.The Brady cases are one of the best quality cases that I have ever used. The inside of the barrel channel measures 28 3/4" long.It has several extra blocks,outer leather straps plus extra material for re-fitting. The snap cap holes are for 12 Ga snap caps. $475 Shipped Email me at classicioi(at)yahoo.com if you have an interest.

Posted By: Replacement Re: Leather or canvas toe under case? - 03/07/12 03:14 AM
Seems like Galazan tried to simulate the overall look of the Brady when they developed their RBL cases.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com