doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mel5141 Daniele Perazzi - 11/07/12 02:37 PM
I note on another shotgun site a notice that The family of Daniele Perazzi anounced that he passed away during the night of Nov. 7.

Certainly an innovator in the Shotgun world.

It could be reasonably argued that he and his firm brought more innovation to the competitive shotgun field since 1964 than anyone before or since.

He was an interesting person.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/07/12 03:21 PM
Wasn’t it Perazzi and Ivo Fabri in partnership together back in the sixties when Perazzi went one way and Fabri the other?
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/07/12 03:33 PM
Yes, his company indeed was so innovative. Interchangeable barrels, stocks, a modular gun of exeptional handling qualities. I have owned several, when you pick one up it feels alive, dynamic. Wonderful guns, heaven knows how many Gold medals have been won with the MX8
Posted By: HOS Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/08/12 12:11 AM
Yes, Perazzi and Fabbri were partners into the mid to late 60s. I believe they built about 300 guns together before they split up. Obviously, the guns are quite rare. It is interesting that there are no books on Perazzi or Fabbri or their partnership. If anybody knows more than this, I would appreciate some further information.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/08/12 01:37 AM
Karl Lippard wrote a book titled "Perazzi Shotguns" - his writing style is his own, but the book is as I understand it the main reference for Perazzi history and models.
Posted By: Gunter Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/08/12 01:44 AM
Hi
there is only one book about Perazzi that I know of (I've got it)

Perazzi Shotguns
by Karl C. Lippard
Copyright 1994
Vietnam Marine Publication
PO Box 60452
Colorado Springs, CO 80960
Phone: (719) 444-0786
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 93-61609
ISBN: 0-9611880-2-2 (soft back)
0-9611880-3-0 (hardback)

the book gives data on all models up to 1994, photos, reference year & serial numbers

regards from England

Günter

NRA Life 1974
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/08/12 01:45 AM
There is a great Perazzi ad inside the front cover of my newest issue of SPORTING CLAYS which shows 12 Olympic shooters posing in different shooting positions, and at the top says "12 of 15 Gold Medals won in London were won with Perazzi guns". (My bad, it's on about p.4)

Lists each shooter's name and which model he/she shoots.

I absolutely love my MX-8s. Sad to hear of his passing. Certainly hope the company is left in good hands.

SRH
Posted By: HOS Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/08/12 04:02 AM
Yes, I have Mr. Lippard's book. It is a lot more about Mr. Lippard than it is about Perazzi or Fabbri. It is too bad there isn't a book about either or both of them. God knows that there are tons of books about antique British shotguns.
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/08/12 01:28 PM
Geez, after all the books written about the British gun we’re still trying to figure out that trade with their Midland Gun Company, W&C Scott & Sons and AA Browns building this and not building that and who roughed out this action and who finished that action.

But it is surprising there isn’t more written history of a firm that has existed for such a short period of time yet has accomplished so much and dominated shotgun shooting sports over that short period of time.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/12/12 07:00 PM
I would think it difficult in the extreme to describe the magnitude of his accomplishments in such a relatively small segment of the business world.

The 12 for 15 medals at the last Olympics pretty much tell the tale of that success.

RIP Daniele Perazzi

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/12/12 07:21 PM
If someone would just write a decoding book on what all the various model numbers mean, it would be more helpful than Perazzi's own website.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/12/12 07:26 PM
I have the Lippard book and it is a handy reference. Just disregard Lippard's self indulgences.
I seem to remember I paid a lot of money for it too. How much are they going for today? I might part with mine.
I sold my last MX8, a skeet model, jug chokes, factory porting and all when I quit International skeet, or should I say International skeet quit me!
Switched to sporting clays, the MX8 skeet gun was not the best for that game, so I bought a used Beretta 682 28" skeet gun with a set of chokes, a more versatile gun.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/12/12 07:38 PM
Out of interest, I looked up "erazzi Shotguns by Karl C Lippard" a used copy on Amazon.com is listed at a whopping $269.29!
I found it useful when I wanted to see what the difference between Kim Rhode's MX12 and my MX8.
Posted By: William E Apperson Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/13/12 06:09 PM
I bought the book after I bought my first-SC1T,type three.Then I learned to work on them as taught by Giacomo and sold a number of them. The book sold for it's back cover printed price-$14.95.I should have bought a case of the books it seems.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/13/12 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
If someone would just write a decoding book on what all the various model numbers mean, it would be more helpful than Perazzi's own website.

The decoding is really pretty simple. Functionally the only difference is fixed trigger/vs. dropout trigger. And the majority of the pieces interchange in those. Two basic styles of actions, and two different forend hangers. Big whoop, eh?

The rest pretty much comes down to what the one in your hands has in the way of conformation and whether or not you find that to your liking. Lippard doesn't really get into the T1/2/3/4 thing enough to make that clear and it's not all that complicated either. There's always someone around w/ free advice if there are questions about a particular gun hahahaha

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/14/12 12:45 AM
And some have coil springs and some have leaf springs and some have selective triggers, just sayin'
Posted By: yobyllib Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/14/12 02:44 AM
Okay,here ya go..

Will a round bloc barrel [mx3] fit an mx8 square bloc bbl?
I know not the other way around,but I always seem to see those mx3 bbls at nicer prices.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/14/12 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: yobyllib
Okay,here ya go..

Will a round bloc barrel [mx3] fit an mx8 square bloc bbl?
I know not the other way around,but I always seem to see those mx3 bbls at nicer prices.

No.

See how easy that was?

HTH

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/14/12 09:03 PM
There is a reason MX3 barrels are cheaper, the MX3 was I think a cheaper version. I was at a shoot many years ago and a native Canadian was using an MX3 which rattled like castanets it was so loose. Of course you must realize that the MX 3 Special is a different gun altogether.
How many of you have owned a MX5C? I did and part traded it off
for my first MX8. Lots to know about P guns.
Posted By: HOS Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/15/12 03:36 AM
I have owned an MX-5C for about 15 years. I bought it used and it had really been used a lot. I have never had a problem with it. I have never shot it particularly well, but have always received compliments about its looks. Nice wood and pretty racy lines with a straight grip (for a 12 gauge Perazzi). The screw in chokes are a little dorky, though not nearly as bad as the screw in chokes you see these days that REALLY protrude from the barrels (like on Berettas etc.). So what's wrong with these guns?
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/15/12 08:53 PM
Nothing. My MX 5C had drop out triggers, square monoblock barrels. The significant difference was that the action was a slimmer and lighter than my MX8.Had the 'seashell' type of curved breech like the MX8, not the flat one like the MX3.
The MX3 Special was a version of the MX8. square monobloc
I bought my 5C in England and was told by the gunshop that this model mostly stayed in Europe.
Posted By: HOS Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/15/12 11:30 PM
Interesting. I just looked at mine and it does not have a dropout trigger. The bottom of the action is sort of rounded. The barrels are completely separated, kind of like a Krieghoff and not at all like the separated barrels on my MX-8/20. It has Perazzi MX5C in gold on the left side. Definitely sleeker than other 12 gauge Perazzis. I have not seen another like it. As I said before, there Is certainly enough variation among Perazzis that would warrant a book. Of course, the competition history and success and the early collaboration with Mr. Fabbri would also be very interesting.
Posted By: Gunter Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/15/12 11:58 PM
at that price I might be tempted to part with my copy at half the Amazon price incl postage!

Christmas is coming! grin

regards from England
Günter
NRA Life 1974
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/16/12 12:05 AM
Interesting indeed. Unfortunately I sold that MX5C 20 years ago and can't provide a pic, . My barrels were not separated either. A pierced side rib, like my MX8. The gunshop in England said it was an attempt by Perazzi to introduce a light competition gun.
The only seperated barrel Perazzi I owned was an MT6, sold to a very talented young shooter who wanted to get into International Trap and did not have much money, so I sold it to him for what he could pay me, not much money, but an excellent cause, right?
Posted By: Gunter Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/16/12 12:24 AM
I'm going to kill my own sale! but what the hell, this is forum and therefore like family, right?

check karl c lippard on ebay - he is selling the last 71 (edit: only 6 available now) copies himself at the original price of $ 14.95
and signed copies at that!

Regards from England

Günter
NRA Life 1974
Posted By: HOS Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/17/12 04:17 AM
Without being overly grumpy, isn't this why these websites atrophy and die? Here is a decent and interesting discussion about something that is not well researched or documented and it gets pushed off the front page by a bunch of junk like like (1)Q: what is the best (sic) investment, a Purdey or an H&H? A: neither, guns are not good investments; (2) Q: is a Fox better than a Parker ? A: no, neither is very good, but they are the best that the USA produced, so we will pretend that they are best guns. (3) If you had a jillion dollars, what gun would you buy?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/17/12 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Gunter
I'm going to kill my own sale! but what the hell, this is forum and therefore like family, right?

check karl c lippard on ebay - he is selling the last 71 (edit: only 6 available now) copies himself at the original price of $ 14.95
and signed copies at that!

Regards from England

Günter
NRA Life 1974

Thanks, Gunter. I just bought the next to last one.

SRH
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/17/12 03:36 PM
Wel, Gunter, looks like Karl scuppered our attempt to make some Christmas money out of our books!
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/17/12 05:47 PM
The MX5 was intended and marketed as a field gun, not a light competition gun.

HTH

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Ray Re: Daniele Perazzi - 11/17/12 06:14 PM
I can't believe I was just able to buy the last copy of the Perazzi book off of ebay. Stan bought the next to the last copy at 7:54AM, and I went to ebay just now expecting the last one to be long gone of course, but there was still one left. Thanks for the heads up Gunter !!!!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com