doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jeff G. NID Grade 2 questions - 02/14/13 02:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

A friend is selling a Grade 2 NID serial number 5010xx 12ga, 30" barrels built on a 10ga frame, from Walts book we determined only 24 were made in grade 2 that way.
The gun is in an honest 80% condition (nice but used). Unfortunately I dont have any photos at this time.
My questions are 2, do you think a 12 ga built on a 10ga frame is worth more then a standard 12ga due to its rarity? What do you think he should ask for this gun?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Jeff
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/14/13 03:44 PM
It is indeed a very scarce gun. I have encountered only 3 in 20+ years of Ithaca collecting. It is certainly worth more than a standard NID Grade 2 12 gauge. How much is it worth...it depends upon how bad some collector wants one. I would think that 5K would not be out of line.
Posted By: skeettx Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/14/13 04:08 PM
Yes, the 12 gauge Magnums in Grade 2 are quite rare.
I agree.
Mike
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/14/13 04:56 PM
Hi Rick

Thanks for that input, I looked at it again and now believe that the barrels were probably reblued a professional job, but I realize on an American gun that will greatly affect value.

Jeff
Posted By: Rick Beckner Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/14/13 05:42 PM
Jeff, That gun is so scarce that I don't think that reblued barrels will affect the value very much, if any. I know it wouldn't for me and I am a very picky collector. Walt's research indicated that only 24 were manufactured in Grade 2 and probably five or six of those have been lost to the ages.
Posted By: Researcher Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/15/13 05:33 PM
I've seen three Ithaca NID Magnum-Twelve doubles. There was an NID Grade 2E, 12-gauge, 32-inch barrel, 3-inch Magnum at the Cabelas in Sydney, Nebraska, November 2002, for $1299. It was serial number 500,144. The gun had a beavertail forearm, and at some point it had been back to Ithaca and fitted with their after-market vent rib with a ramp to fit on the standard rib frame. It also had a built-up Monte Carlo to go with the higher vent rib. I was just about to take on this "project gun" when I noticed a fairly good bulge just behind the choke in the left barrel, probably from using early steel shot shells.

Some years back, Steve Barnett had this refinished Grade 1E Magnum-Twelve, serial number 500155, at The Vintage Cup and Sandanona --

Both of these guns had serial numbers much lower than when one would expect Magnum-Twelves, as Ithaca Gun Co. didn't catalogue them until 1937 when they dropped the Super-Ten. Also, on the subject of Magnum-Frame serial numbers I use to own Field Grade Magnum-Ten 500,167 which was the new style Field Grade without cocking indicators and the border engraving that was introduced in 1935.

In August 2011, I examined a pretty high condition Field Grade Magnum-Twelve NID at the Big Reno show and it was bulged behind the chokes in both barrels. Can't lay my hand on the notes for its serial number.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/15/13 05:48 PM
Locally, about 6 or 7 years ago, there was a 7E in 12 ga. in the 500,000 range. Oddly, this gun was marked 2 3/4" [not 3"] and "lettered". I guess a few of the 12 magnums had 2 3/4" Chambers.
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/16/13 03:44 AM
Thanks to all for your knowledgable input.

Sincerely, jeff
Posted By: Stanley Hoover Re: NID Grade 2 questions - 02/19/13 09:14 AM
Hello Jeff,
Would you happen to have pictures or contact information? I would have interest in this gun.
Thanks,
Stan
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com