doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: wannagohunting Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/16/13 08:26 AM
So can you swap barrels on side by sides as long as ga Brand and model are same without having to gauge anything (like rifles you need to check headspace) as long as they close and lock up OK?
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/16/13 11:04 AM
Most will require fitting. Snap-ons are rare with the older guns.
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/16/13 04:45 PM
I can't speak for your home grown guns but since nearly all British guns were made pretty much individually (albeit cheaper guns sometimes in batches) you would be extrordinary lucky to be able to snap a set of barrels on to a different action.
Head space would be the least of your problems.
Even guns made as pairs aren't interchangeable.
Obvious, with modern machine made guns that are not hand fitted, the story may be very different.
Posted By: rayhunts Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/16/13 04:51 PM
I've done it to a skb barrels and fore end.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/16/13 04:56 PM
Very much a hit or miss thing with almost none that fit right without fitting them to the action. Sometimes even guns made very close to one another will just never work. I found a set of Sterlingworths barrels that were 40 apart by serial number and they would not work. Perhaps with a grinding wheel, JBWeld and a 40 ounce hammer they might. So try if you like but do not get your hopes too high.
Posted By: gunman Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/16/13 06:15 PM
Only way to find out is to try them . Some will go with a little work others wont . All depends on the gun and how they were made . I have done it with some guns but I have a pair of barrels for a Horsley side lock that I have offered on to a number of other Horsley actions with no success .
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/18/13 05:26 AM
I have 3 modern (Browning) 20 ga sxs guns that none interchange.
Posted By: 2holer Re: Swapping barrels in old SxS - 08/18/13 07:11 AM
From what I understand Valmet 412 O/Us have interchangable barrels. I have a Valmet 412 20ga. The barrels will fit very nicely on a friend's 412 12 ga. I didn't try his 12 ga barrels on my gun as he was the interested party.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com