doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stallones M 21 getting off face - 10/10/13 05:15 PM
My 1934 Vintage Skeet-Trap M 21 is getting off face. Have any of you had experiece with this?. Is it usually the hook or the pin that is worn on a 21?
Posted By: Buddy Marson Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/10/13 05:48 PM
Contact Connecticut Shotgun for Model 21 repair.They will fix it correctly. Phone (860)225-6581
Posted By: SKB Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/10/13 05:49 PM
usually a new locking bolt from Galazan will get the job done. I have had to make a new pin too, but that was an extreme case.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/10/13 07:35 PM
Stallones if it is off face it is the pin.

If it is loose it is the bolt. The Model 21 has an adjustable bolt. There is a screw between the two chambers. If you turn that screw clockwise it lets the bolt come out further.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: eightbore Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/10/13 08:50 PM
To test which problem you have, fabricate a spacer to go in the bottom of the lug slot. If the spacer makes the gun tight, you may want to get a new bolt. If it does not make it tight, fabricate a spacer for the loop. If that makes it tight, you may need a new pin or a more permanent spacer. If you don't want to do these things, send it to Tony. He will do a good job, permanently. Your gun must have had an interesting life. I have not yet had a loose 21. To answer your original question, I would suspect thay made the pin harder than the hook, but the pin is easier to replace for adjustment. Bill Murphy
Posted By: GaryW Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 03:30 AM
Galazan will install a new hinge pin for $375 and a new locking bolt for $225. Your 21 will open and close like a new gun when this is done. Talk to Lou.

http://connecticutshotgun.com/model21a.html

I've had this done on 3 21's and their work is very good.
Gary
Posted By: Buzz Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 04:37 AM
My gunsmith put an oversized hinge pin in a 16ga 21 for me that was off face. I'm pretty sure the problem was from hook wear. Replacing the hinge pin isn't a big deal on a 21 according to my smith. The whole cost wasn't very much and I think he bought the hinge pin from Galazan. Maybe $100 a few yrs ago. The hinge pins on these guns aren't usually elaborately engraved like English guns and it's no big deal to replace as long as you have a good gunsmith who knows what he's doing. In this regard, I have NO idea why it is such a huge deal on these English guns, other than the engraving, and why it seems to cost an arm and a leg??
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 10:06 AM
Call England and order a hinge pin.

Tell us how that goes.
Posted By: Stallones Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 02:08 PM
Maybe Buzz is Homeless Joes sibling??
Posted By: Buzz Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Stallones
Well, maybe so and if I am then Mr Shotgun Jones is clearly Dr WTS' sibling! 2 peas in a pod, for sure.
Posted By: Stallones Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 03:40 PM
The history of this gun is unique. It belonged to a Wall St executive who had a 2400 acre Farm on LOng Island that he and his friends Duck Hunted on. He even had several ponds dug for their duck hunting over decoys. I assume he shot Skeet with gun also. After his death the farm was donated to and became the Wertheim National Wilflife Refuge.I bought it from his nephew who had inherited the gun.
Posted By: eightbore Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 04:29 PM
Model 21s with good provenance are scarce. Cody letters don't often mention the name of the original purchaser, but sometimes you get lucky. Give it a shot.
Posted By: Stallones Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 05:44 PM
I have the Cody letter which has the factory order specs and the note of it being shipped to A&F - NYC in October 1933. I also have an extensive history of the owner who ordered it thru A&F.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/11/13 06:40 PM
Griffin and Howe have A&F's records. On their website there is a page where you can enter brand and serial number and it will tell you if they have record(s) of the gun. Might bridge the gap.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/12/13 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: buzz
Originally Posted By: Stallones
Well, maybe so and if I am then Mr Shotgun Jones is clearly Dr WTS' sibling! 2 peas in a pod, for sure.

So you're saying that instead of my standing alone there are now a total of two contributors here that actually understand the accepted laws of the physical universe?

Good to know.

have a day

Dr.WtS
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/12/13 11:31 PM
I'm flattered.... I think.

Just trying to wear out my 21.

Should be able to accomplish that eventually.

Good to know it's serviceable by people in my home country with parts that apparently can be mail ordered and fitted without much expense.
Posted By: Stallones Re: M 21 getting off face - 10/13/13 12:47 AM
Mike, I have the G and H records and the Cody letter. Great proveniences.
Every time I shoot it I
Think of the history. Of it and the Ducks etc over the years. To be slightly off face, it has seen a lot of great times.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com