doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: lagopus Interesting Dickson. - 11/11/13 10:08 AM
I visited a local Gunmaker/Gunsmith the other day and he had in for restoration a most interesting Dickson round action shotgun. Instead of the usual top lever this one has a Jones underlever fastening. I have contacted Donald Dallas regarding the gun for his forthcoming book on Dickson and he understands that the gun is one ordered by the eccentric collector Charles Gordon and is unique. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me but if I call again I will ask to get snap of it. Most interesting and unusual. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Mike Rowe Re: Interesting Dickson. - 11/11/13 01:14 PM
I have seen a couple of Jones underlever Dicksons in the past, one a rifle.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Interesting Dickson. - 11/11/13 02:40 PM
I remember reading about Charles Gordon in one of the sporting magazines a few years ago. He ordered many guns with what others would have considered outdated features

a quick search found this

http://www.holtsauctioneers.com/Admin/In%20The%20Gun%20Room/March2013.pdf
Posted By: lagopus Re: Interesting Dickson. - 11/11/13 02:49 PM
Mike, yes, it was often the case on double rifles because of the stronger lock-up. This Dickson round action shotgun appears to be a one off.

Donald Dallas also wrote a book on Charles Gordon. Fantastic illustrations and an interesting read. Lagopus.....
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Interesting Dickson. - 11/11/13 03:26 PM
A shop in or around Philly had a William Moore built muzzleloader purchased by Mr. Charles Gordon a few years back for sale. In perfect condition with all of the accessories and at a great price. Long since sold.
Posted By: Fletchedpair Re: Interesting Dickson. - 11/11/13 04:06 PM
Nice spot Lagopus. These round-actions with Jones Rotary underlevers are rare, the action of rotating the lever with a connecting rod cocking the locks.

According to the records, Dickson only built four round-actions with Jones Rotary Lever lockup. Two were shotguns, two were double rifles. There were probably a few more but it is not reflected in sales ledger by the notation 'underlever'.

Charles Gordon ordered only two 'hammerless guns' in his buying days and one was with a Jones Rotary underlever. I have seen this gun before, in a half state of restoration, the barrels having been sleeved. Sounds like your acquaintance is finishing it off. Another one saved!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com