doublegunshop.com - home
My 17 year old has asked for a new bird gun, as a b'day gift. She has reached out and researched, as have I. She likes the CZ Bobwhite does anyone have any experience ,knowledge, or opinion of them? Thanks in Advance! Jerry and Hallye
I bought one a few years ago for my saltwater duck gun. I've shortened the sock to fit me. I take it with me on my extended trips as a back up gun upland hunting and for a day off shooting skeet at some of the local ranges on coyote trips in the SW. Other than being a little stiff to open it has been very reliable and surprisingly rugged. I like the black chrome finish on the barrels, it is holding up to the salt spray here very well.

I've posted this before in a different thread.
My duck guns.
Here's a thorough review of a few years back. After considering it, I opted for the 28 gauge. It's more than just a good gun for the money. (After having the trigger pull lightened and crisped.)
http://www.members.shaw.ca/sharptail/CZReview.pdf
I had one briefly. It seemed like a solid gun for the money. My triggers were abhorrent. I returned it to cz to have the lightened to a factory 7 lbs! Still a bit stiff for me but I decided to move it along. For not so much more money if I'd look at the dickinson's being sold at cabelas. I think they at much more gun for the $$$$
I had a 12 ga. CZ Bobwhite, and it was good. Zero problems. I eventually moved up to a Cabela's Dickinson, which is a "nicer" shotgun.

gold40
Originally Posted By: GLS
Here's a thorough review of a few years back. After considering it, I opted for the 28 gauge. It's more than just a good gun for the money. (After having the trigger pull lightened and crisped.)
http://www.members.shaw.ca/sharptail/CZReview.pdf

If you can get by with a 28ga rather than a 20, they do indeed represent a lot of gun for the money. Usually, inexpensive 28's are built on 20ga frames, and end up being heavier than 20's as a result. Not true of the Bobwhite. Handles like a 28ga should.
I really really like my 28ga Bobwhite.
No issues with it.
You might consider a good used SKB sxs, particularly those from the Ithaca-SKB period. The model 100 will be the less expensive, with pistol grip. The 20 ga. is very light, and trouble free. The straight grip models cost somewhat more. Many posters here have sung the praises of these guns.
You may want to consider another make. I see that your from down south, you may want to go to your local Academy and check out the Yildiz SxS's. I just got a 20ga and I must say that I'm very impressed with them. I've also handled a Bobwhite and IMHO the Yildiz is a much better gun. The quality is above the CZ. The Yidiz has ejectors, a SST (which has proven pretty reliable for a Turk gun),The trigger pulls are quite good BTW, not heavy at all, choke tubes, nice wood (not plain Jane at all), nice laser engraving and the weight is about a pound less than the CZ (mine weighs 5-10). The cost is about half that of the CZ, $469. You can find out more about them here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=104&sid=4156c9c09513031af15f1ec5e937ebc7

My vote goes to the Yildiz.

Good Luck!

Greg
All true about the Yildiz guns, Greg. Mine has functioned perfectly, and taken many limits, in the past three seasons, with nary a hitch. But, be careful, you may be put in that mythical group of shooters who "can recognize quality in a nice Brit gun, but who just don't seem to be able to recognize trash". crazy

As I've said before, the only thing I did to mine was lighten up the trigger.

SRH
"can recognize quality in a nice Brit gun, but who just don't seem to be able to recognize trash".

Good one Stan!!!!!

To be honest, I think the Yildiz line is under estimated by quite a few folks. If some folks would handle one and examine one,they'd be surprised.

My triggers are very nice, won't have to do anything to them.

Best!

Greg
I've bought two Turkish Yildiz single-shot .410s in the last two years. The figure in the forends and hand checkered stocks is superior to the standard wood in my Beretta 686. The two guns cost under $130 from Academy. The wood in my CZ Bobwhite is plain Jane from Turkey, a place apparently awash in good wood. Go figure. (no pun intended).
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com