doublegunshop.com - home
I am traveling to South Africa and a friends has given me a very nice WC Scott Premiere hammergun made in 1882. Can I just declare it as an antique or do I need and licensed firearm dealer to handle the import? I'd like to pack it with me

Thanks in advance
Norm
Anybody have an answer
From the BATF Website:

If the firearm you intend to import is an antique and was manufactured in or before 1898, you or the dealer if you choose to use one does not have to submit the Form 6 to ATF, however you must be able to prove to CBP that it was manufactured during that period. If you ship the antique be sure the package includes the required documention. CBP will accept a certificate of authenticity or bill of sale with the year the firearm was manufactured as proof of age. If the firearm was manufactured after 1898, the dealer has to submit the Form 6 to ATF for approval to import the firearm.

If the firearm is at least 100 years old or more and you can provide proof of age, the firearm will be eligible for duty-free treatment under the antique provision in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

For more information on antique firearms see ATF Web site.
I believe you can make a copy of one of the published Scott serial number correlations to date of manufacture. Also, have your friend make up a bill of sale for you that states the date of manufacture. Put the documents in with the gun and you should have no trouble importing and owe no duty. Pick it up off the luggage belt and walk out the door. Oh, do pack the case in a cardboard box that doesn't scream "gun box." Also, c all ahead to the airline and notify them you will have a gun in your luggage. And check export laws.

DDA
Thanks to all

I will take the hammergun with me. Only problem is that my port is San Francisco and they have a thing about weapons of any kind. It seems I must have airtight paper work upon declaring the weapon. Also having Damascus tubes always helps with the uniformed.

Thanks again
Norman
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com