doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mike campbell To restore, or not to restore... - 01/20/15 11:13 PM
Just kiddin'.

Off topic, but I like this pic and story ..."1882 Winchester rifle found leaning against tree, how it got there is mystery" and haven't seen mention of it on the boards.

The rifle is an 1873 model, of course, but they know from the serial# it was made in 1882.

The neatest tidbit is that it was found while they were scouting an area just prior to doing a controlled burn. They plan to preserve it so I think they should dig up the tree and all and recreate it as a diorama rather than lay it in a case.
Posted By: eeb Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 03:50 AM
"Original condition"
Posted By: SamW Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 11:34 AM
I like your idea of a diorama. Wonder if it was loaded?
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 11:56 AM
great idea about the diorama - but its not like they can cut a tree on federal land

I had posted that on the Parker board a few days ago, unless they find the owner's bones near by with a bullet hole or grizzly bear tooth marks on them, we will never know
Posted By: Mike A. Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 03:28 PM
None of the articles seems to mention the CALIBER of this '73....you know how I feel about that! At least ONE guy would like to know.

(I found an 1885 Hiwall in Nevada back in the 1950s, and ASS-YOU-ME'd that it was a .32-40, a .38-55, or a .45-70. Got all the burlap and axle grease off it and found out it was a .38-40. So much for ass-ump-shun!).
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 04:05 PM
i doubt the park employees involved would know a 44-40 from a 30-06
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 05:10 PM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/01...vada-mountains/
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 06:13 PM

It is proof that no-one can be trusted with an assault weapon. It was designed and used to kill as many indigenous people and their chilrens as possible, and has now been found without it's owner.
Thats it, Mr. and Mrs. America-turn them all in, all of your guns.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Mike A. Re: To restore, or not to restore... - 01/21/15 10:49 PM
Thanks, Ken. I feel much better!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com