doublegunshop.com - home

This is an N.R.Davis 12 gauge I got last year for $175. 30" Barrels, about 8-1/2lbs. Strangely both barrels appear to be modified choke. The bores look pretty good for its age. Even though this was originally a 'cheap' shotgun it has excellent balance and 'swing.' Though it's about a hundred years old everything is tight and well fitted. Triggers are pretty good but nothing special. I had to replace the opening lever shortly after I got it, but Numerich was able to provide a new one, which was easy to fit.

Very sweet gun to shoot. Last outing to the range with this gun (before deer season, no I didn't get one) I was able to put two Rio Royal Brenneke slugs into three inches at fifty meters, which I figured was more than adequate for my usual hunting grounds.

Even though this was originally a 'cheap' gun the quality is better than I see on modern 'coach' guns that cost $400-$500. It's surprising how inexpensively you can get a useful double used. I love this old gun, and look forward to shooting it more this coming year.
Posted By: keith Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 05:31 AM
Tinker, we don't see many N.R. Davis guns in as good condition as yours. They were more inexpensive than the competition in their day, and most were rode hard and put away wet. They also did not stand the test of time either which is why many are loose or have been parted out. But if yours is tight and solid, I'm sure it will last for many more years if you stick with the low pressure loads for which it was intended. I'm not sure I would want to regularly use it as a slug gun. Modern high pressure loads sent even a lot of higher quality better designed guns to early graves.

I agree with your observation that is probably of higher quality (and looks better in my opinion) than many of the imported doubles today which sell for far more than what you paid. Enjoy.
Thanks Keith. If all goes to plan I'll probably shoot very few slugs or buckshot. Mostly light loads for the old girl; more of an honorable retirement than a second (or third) career. I have other guns for more serious work, but I do relish the thought that this 'every man's' gun is still so nice and capable after all this time.
Originally Posted By: keith
and most were rode hard and put away wet.

Not picking on any one here but why do guys use that rode hard and put away wet phrase when writing about guns? Its not the first time I've seen it used here. It does sound neat I suppose but we're not talking about horses. If you want to sound like an expert why not use the right terminology instead of a phrase that doesn't fit.
Posted By: Boats Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 12:58 PM
Nice one. Have looked at a lot of NR Davis, interested because Davis is my name. Most are loose always wondered why. Is it the metal or design?

Boats
Some Davis infro here Tinker
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23181554

Researcher is likely returning from the Vegas show but might have some catalog images
Posted By: Ken61 Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 01:37 PM
I think it's important to differentiate between "light" and "low-pressure" loads when talking about modern nitro powders. You may have seen on DocDrew's site that black powder loads were around 8,000 psi, a level that many "light" modern loads exceed. I'll summarize some of the info for you. Since this gun is considered a black powder era gun despite the fluid steel barrels, loads for it really fall into the same category as pattern-welded barrel guns (Twist, Damascus, and Laminated) in order to prevent mechanical deterioration. Recoil is another factor, (FPS relation to weight of shot charge) with lighter shot charge weights of an oz. or less in order to be easier on the wood. (factors that I learned from the learned folks on this board) There are people on this board who load low-pressure slug loads for Big Game, often black powder hand loads, which is fairly easy to set up for since you're not loading a high volume of shells. Then, you'd be able to use the gun for deer with no problems. If you choose to purchase brass hulls you don't even need a roll crimper. If I ever deer hunt again that's what I intend to do. For regular shooting with nitro powder, the low-pressure loads are more appropriate. Other older fluid steel barrel guns fall into the same category, such as Ithaca Flues, Crescents, Baker Batavia Specials, etc.

Regards
Ken

Yes, as Ken stated, a light load off of the store shelf does not mean it is a low pressure load. You have to watch what you are choosing for shells. I would be using the likes of Polywad, RST or Kent Gamebore low pressure loads.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 02:04 PM
Tinker,

I don’t know if you shoot clays or hunt birds much but if so I’d recommend that you take your gun to the patterning board and find out where its point of impact is. If you shoot off-the-shelf modern guns well you may struggle to hit the target with your 19th century N.R. Davis. Many American guns from that period had considerably more drop at the heal than modern guns have and require a more “heads up” shooting style. It may not be a problem for you, but I figured forewarned is forearmed. BTW it was enough of a problem for me that I’ve pretty much left the market for American guns and look at English and Continental guns these days since they typically have the stock dimensions I require.

There’s something very satisfying about bringing down a bird with a +100 year old gun. For me it helps put me back to a simpler time, that as a kid I was fortunate to enjoy.

Steve
The 'Black Powder Era' mostly ended after DuPont introduced their Bulk Smokeless in 1894

Black Powder Pressures:
3 dram / 82 grains 1 1/8 oz. (1200 fps) is about 5000 psi.
3 3/4 dram GOEX FFFg with 1 1/4 oz. (1240 fps) is about 6000 psi.
4 drams of FFF (about 108 gr) with 1 1/8 oz. (1420 fps) is about 7000 psi.

“1895 Smokeless Powders For Shotguns”
http://books.google.com/books?id=Wv0MAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA446&lpg
3 1/4 Dram/40 grains DuPont Bulk Smokeless 1 1/8 oz. = 7440 LUP
3 1/4 Dram/44 grains “E.C.” Bulk Smokeless 1 1/8 oz. = 7584 LUP
Note: Piezoelectric transducer measurements would be about 10% higher.

The 1963 George Herter “Reloaders Handbook” lists 23 grains (3 1/4 Dr. Eq.) of Infallible Dense Smokeless, now Unique, with 1 1/8 oz. shot in a paper case with paper wads (card & fiber) at 8,725 psi by LUP, or about 9,500 psi by modern transducers. (Courtesy of Mark Ouellette)

1902 Logan-Gregg Hdw. catalog Davis guns
"Choke bored for smokeless or black powder"

Thanks for posting! I'm learning a lot from this forum. I'll be setting up reloading this year for low-volume 12 and 16 gauge so the reloading data will be very useful.
Originally Posted By: cherry bomb

Not picking on any one here but why do guys use that rode hard and put away wet phrase when writing about guns? Its not the first time I've seen it used here. It does sound neat I suppose but we're not talking about horses. If you want to sound like an expert why not use the right terminology instead of a phrase that doesn't fit.

Just to aggravate nit-pickers.

SRH
Posted By: Mike A. Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 10:21 PM
Anybody who hasn't seen shotguns that have been put away wet hasn't been hangin' around the old timey gunshops I go to....
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 11:43 PM
"Road hard and put away wet" is a very descriptive term with many appropriate uses. It is aptly used for many possessions (horses, automobiles, guns, and sadly, even women) as it captures the description of abusive use without the benefit of any preventative maintenance.
Posted By: John E Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/26/15 11:57 PM
Tinker, I too think the N.R. Davis guns are better quality than their reputation. I have a Davis-Warner, AJAX That is clean, tight and has sound wood.
I am still waiting on my latest purchase in American SxS's. It is an early model N.R. Davis & Sons with a floor-plate and damascus barrels.

It appears to have been very well kept.

It should arrive tomorrow and I am quite excited about finding one in this condition.

John
Please don't take the terminology as an insult; it's not meant to be. I truly love seeing these "lower end" guns being loved, cared for and shot. They deserve it, and they deserve respect as well. Bravo!
Posted By: keith Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/27/15 05:47 AM

Go piss up a rope. Is that acceptable terminology?
That's a beauty, John!

One phrase is 'go piss up a rainpipe' and another is 'go push a rope'. the mixed up terminology doesn't make sense at all. I probably don't have to say it, but DUH.
Another old guy and I go fishing together. I try to explain to him that he needs to get in the boat as I back it into the water so that he can use the paddle to push the boat off the trailer. He is frail and afraid to climb into the boat while it is on the trailer so he insists that he'll just stand on the river bank and hold the bow line till the boat comes off the trailer. It never does of course, so I get to remind him every time that 'you can't push a rope!'...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/27/15 04:26 PM
"Rode hard and put up wet" is an often used expression, understood by most to explain something was used but not well taken care of by some previous owner. Shorthand for more wear and premature bad condition than expected. Some understand shorthand and some apparently don't or don't like it. It saves me time and tells the listener quickly that a gun is in rough shape.
For the record I understood what was meant by this phrase instantly, just as I do many other phrases that help make English a colorful language.
Posted By: Ken61 Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/27/15 06:26 PM
Quick! Someone move this picture to this thread!

http://dlisted.com/2008/08/26/go-to-bed/
Posted By: GLS Re: NR Davis Boxlock SxS- Love on the Cheap - 01/27/15 11:31 PM

No. change "rope" to bore snake.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com