doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CMWill Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 08:28 PM
This week we are looking at two "classics"..or maybe only one classic, you be the judge. Please remember to keep it clean and pick your favorite of the two below.

Think if you only had the choice of one double below to bring to an upland, waterfowl or clays "gunfight"! May the best gun win!

Gunfight Friday Round #5 - Carbon (& Wood!) Copies

Parker Reproductions vs Parker Brothers

Parker Reproductions
Parker Repros were manufactured at the Olin-Kodensha plant in Tochigi, Japan until around 1989. Only offered in DHE, BHE and maybe a few rare higher grades, the Parker Repros were quite faithful and attractive copies of the original Parker guns.

Parker Brothers
The original Parker guns were built in Meriden, Connecticut for over seventy years. Nicknamed "Old Reliable" and for good reason, many original Parker Bros guns are still being reliably used today.
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 09:06 PM
I work on both pretty much on a daily basis ,and a faithful rendition the repro is indeed...both beautiful guns ,but the new ones just don't "feel " the same I can't explain it .I would take an original any day.
But ,the chance of taking a pristine DH Parker (reproduction )out for a bird and not worrying about ruining an heirloom is quite attractive .
Posted By: eightbore Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 09:23 PM
A scratch or finish wear on a BHE Repro is much more an issue than that same scratch or finish wear on an original. I hunt and shoot my original Parkers on a daily basis, but I'm afraid to take my 28 gauge Repro out of the house for fear of making it somewhat less than "new".
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 09:48 PM
I guess I wouldn't worry so much about a DHE Repro, but agree that I might be concerned about a BHE. I owned an A-1 Special 2 barrel set for a time. (Factory engraving, not the fancier custom stuff.) Very nice gun, but one reason I parted with it was that I didn't want to take it hunting. It also had a trigger deficiency: Only one.

One advantage the Repros have is better dimensions than most of the originals. No question you can find originals with decent dimensions, but it does require some looking to come up with both modern dimensions and the other characteristics you're looking for. I just wish they'd made more DT Reproductions.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 10:26 PM
When I fell for sxs guns, Parker was the main reason. Call it 1st love or whatever, but make mine the original article!...Geo
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 10:32 PM
I'd choose a Parker Reproduction everytime. Better everything, including value -- except collectibility, but their time will come. I can afford and justify the cost of ownership of a 28-ga. Repro, I could never justify the cost of ownership of a similar conditioned 28-ga. 00-framed original.
Posted By: Tracy Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 11:08 PM
Old reliable all the way. Don't like the fake engraving. Don't like the carnival glass looking case colors. Don't like shiny. Don't like high nose on the comb. Don't like made in Japan. Other than that Repos are OK. I guess.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/13/15 11:13 PM
Boy! This one presents a lot of ifs.

Bought with my own money, just to use? Repro every time. Crazy money and content to leave it in a closet? The original.

The Repros out there are mostly as-new guns. Do I assume the original Parker would be in similar condition? If so, go with the original.

By far, the Repros have more shootable dimensions, as was pointed out above.

Reliability? Not much to complain about with either.
Posted By: Wild Skies Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Tracy
Don't like the fake engraving.

It's real. The D-Grade may not be 100% hand-engraved, but it's definitely real.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 02:57 AM
Neither. I can't figure out how the Parker ever came to be named "Old Reliable" with all the stuff inside of them, and all the pinned stock heads I have seen over the years. The Parker Reproduction single trigger was described to me as "crunchy" by someone, years ago (wish I had thought of it) and, it fits, perfectly.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 03:27 AM
Don't own a reproduction and don't care to. But I do have my share of originals and shoot them all the time and under all conditions. To me, and me alone, a reproduction can try to be a Parker forever but it'll never make it. What it lacks is the soul the old men in Meriden gave it. Nor can they ever have the heritage the originals let me be part of. I often glance down at the old Parker and smile, wondering what stories it could tell of hunts long ago and sharing mine.....a repro would just be another gun that shoots, nothing more. I plead guilty to being a romantic at heart. If I werent I suppose I'd be shooting a carbon auto.
Posted By: postoak Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 03:30 AM
I appreciate the original Parkers for being a legendary American Shotgun, but for 'Old Reliable', I agree with Ted. More parts than a Buick.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 03:47 AM
I agree with Ted, the only reason Parker stocks don't get a bad rap for cracking is it's inside and most people can't or won't take a Parker apart. They had to be made like a Swiss watch as they are an unnecessarily complicated. There is a much higher percentage of shootable dimensions and weights with the Repros. Haven't found one of either type that fit me or my needs. Mark
Posted By: Tamid Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 04:17 AM
Not a fight, sorry. The repro is not a repro unless it duplicates the original. If it does then there is no contest. If it doesn't then they are completely different guns and should be judged and not named so.
Posted By: Mike of the Mountain Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 01:57 PM
Original Parker for me. Biggest plus, among many for the original is the double trigger.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/14/15 10:54 PM
Have both. Like them both. Balance, etc. feels generally the same, but good shooting dimensions are more likely to be found with the Reproductions. Price is clearly a difference. Small gauge originals in good condition require a second mortgage. Not so with the Repros. If you want barrels longer than 28", you have to find an original. I call it a draw.
Posted By: CMWill Re: Gunfight Friday - Round #5 - 03/16/15 02:02 AM
I've often debated which would be better for an A1 special type upgrade, any thoughts or preferences? Would love to see some pictures of either an original or reproduction upgraded! I liked the idea of the repros that weren't engraved and had the A1 upgraded wood but you don't see many of those, my guess is they all got snatched up and finished.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com