doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Next possible gun purchase , advice requested - 03/30/16 09:47 PM
Not sure I even have the amount needed and I am not talking possibly about a pristine example but I have a little amount of cash saved up and since the Southern Side by Side is right down the road I am interested in a possible gun purchase.
I would be looking at a Woodward or a Dickson round action.
What opinions and price range am I looking at for say a somewhat "Honest" example of one of these?
I would have least amount of knowledge with the Dickson so anyone who owns or have owned one please chime in.
Cheers
Mike,
I know you didn't say MacNaughton but this one always catches my eye. When anyone says Dickson I think MacNaughton. smile

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100627272
If you can live with sleeved barrels you can get a decent Dickson 12 for 11-14k, if you want an unsleeved example then you are in the 18.8 to 24k

I can't speak on the Woodwards as I do not watch them much.
I know that one of our board members recently bought a lovely high grade Dickson in the Uk, in its makers case for under 15K. It has original barrels with good wall thickness as well. Maybe he will share pictures if we are lucky.
Originally Posted By: PALUNC

I would be looking at a Woodward or a Dickson round action.

I.m going to assume your have a working familiarity with my value system; you have been around plenty long to have read a post or two. The first point to consider is that Woodward holds Brand Value one (BV1), whereas Dickson is Brand Value two (BV2). BV1 = 1 1/3 BV2; for comparable guns JW will cost one third more than JD.

What opinions and price range am I looking at for say a somewhat "Honest" example of one of these?

"--- somewhat "Honest" ---" translates into Current Condition level four (CC4) which is defined as "Heavy use, but no abuse."

Woodward SLE's and Dickson Round Actions are mostly Original Quality grade one (OQ1) guns. BV1-OQ1-CC4 = $15,918 and BV2-OQ1-CC4 = $11,938. So, if you would consider, say, venturing into, oh, maybe slightly "dishonest" guns, post back and I'll run some guns with warts and such.

Be sure to stop by Toby Barclay's Heritage Gun booth at the Southern. If you like, we can meet at the Southern and talk Woodwards.

DDA
You could call Dan Morgan and ask your question. He is the man for smithing Scotish guns and defacto Dickson's man in the US. He not only fixes them but sometimes has a few for sale.
I would vote Dickson Round Action every time.

Contact Graham Mackinlay at: http://www.gmackinlay.com/

Graham is an honest and straight talking gentleman.

I have several RAs all purchased from him or after inspection by him.

RG
Originally Posted By: Tamid
You could call Dan Morgan and ask your question. He is the man for smithing Scotish guns and defacto Dickson's man in the US. He not only fixes them but sometimes has a few for sale.

Have any contact info?
valmorestate@myfairpoint.net
Dan's email.
Agreed with the recommendation of Dan. He does most of Graham MacKinlay's repair work in the U.S., and he makes numerous trips to Graham's shop to know what Graham has in stock and in the pipeline. Mark Reynolds also has Dicksons in stock quite often. And as well Toby Barclay may have something in the works himself. All good trustworthy sources.
Mike, did you Toby's Feb 2016 update?

DDA
Yes I did email him this week about a couple of guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com