doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash Price Check Isle 21 ( No Politics Here!) - 08/04/16 04:58 PM
I need a Double Trigger Model 21 in 16 gauge to fill a slot in my modest cabinet.
It'll fit right between 12 and 20 gauge Double trigger guns already in my possession.
26" Full/Mod, PG, SFE, Single Bead, Good dimensions to Makers butt plate.
Condition is used not abused with lever right of center.
Availability seems to be a little on the thin side.
Any thoughts on value? Thanks

Looks like an earlier M21- as from the pg shape and checkering pattern. Extractors or ejectors? Like the Fox guns, the m21 in 16 and 20 gauge had the same size frame- nice lines- $4K range, depending on ejectors or extractors. IMO- and I only own 1 Model 21- a 1949 era field grade 12- 28" SST, Ej- SPFE--I am no expert, and also my SWAG reflects my basic avoidance to the 16 gauge offerings- mainly due to higher shell cost than with a 12. I would not own this M21, which I like for pheasant hunting, except for the kindness of a bachelor uncle, who willed it to me.
While you could get whatever you wanted, isn't a 26" bbl in Full/Mod a bit unusual. Before pricing I would want to check with Cody to see if it started out that way. The Bbl markings are on top? Nice looking early gun! I really like the 20's and 16's!!
Fox, Ejectors (corrected, you learn something new everyday),
16 on its' frame, 20 on its' own frame.

Originally Posted By: S&W ucla
The Bbl markings are on top? Nice looking early gun!

Yes, on top
I'm quite sure that the gun in your photos has ejectors. The pin behind the forend is not present on extractor guns.
Nice attention to detail, Sir. You are right, a telltale axle pin just as on ejector L.C. Smith guns-- I agree somewhat that M&F on 26" barrels might be more commonly found on 28" barrels, but never say never, right?
$3,500-$4,000
Originally Posted By: gloftness
I'm quite sure that the gun in your photos has ejectors. The pin behind the forend is not present on extractor guns.

Great call! Thanks.

Here's a '33 DT 20 gauge, No Pin

'33 DT 12 with ejectors (and pin)
Originally Posted By: S&W ucla
While you could get whatever you wanted, isn't a 26" bbl in Full/Mod a bit unusual. Before pricing I would want to check with Cody to see if it started out that way. The Bbl markings are on top? Nice looking early gun! I really like the 20's and 16's!!

According to Schwing,
G2155B 16 ga 26" Full/Mod Double Trigger Selective Ejectors

Other 26" offerings were DT w/extractors as well as Mod/CYL chokes in both extractor and ejector guns
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Price Check Isle 21 ( No Politics Here!) - 08/05/16 04:08 PM
I sold a 16, single trigger, two barrel 21 six years ago for just under 7k. The longer, tighter barrels were like new from lack of use. The shorter barrels were well worn from many years of heavy use before I bought it. I figured the Winchester, model 21 name added a third to the value to the buyer. I did not use it much because it was much heavier than a comparable Smith or Fox. If lead shot were legal I always though it would have been a heck of a duck gun for the blind. So 3500-4000 does sound about right but it always comes down to supply, condition and buyer/seller expectations of fair prices. Funny thing to me is when ever I had a double trigger 21 for sale it was always a minus in the sale but when trying to buy it is always claimed to be a plus.
That phenom is known as the "dealer's two-step". Here's an example. About 12 years ago, a young man laid off from his job brought his Remington autoloader deer rifle- in .308 cal. and with a good scope and mount, into a local crook who had a gun shop-known for preying on widows and bilking them out of their late husband's guns for .10 on the dollar- he told the lad- "If this were a .270 or .30-06, instead of a .308, I could offer you way more" The kid took the deal, and after he walked out with his cash, the dealer grinned at me, and showed me a foot locked full of military ball ammo for the M-14 (also M60) 7.62x51mm- aka- .308 Winchester. He told me he'd double his $ on the deal he just made with the unknowing lad-- So, if you want a M21 with 2 triggers, you pay the market price, if you want to sell one to a dealer or trade it up into another double, you'll get the "nobody wants a double trigger on their M21 now-a-days-after all, their single trigger is the best ever offered on any American mfg. doublegun" or some other similar line of horse-shit..
I paid 4000 for my M 21 16 ga double trigger, extractor gun about 5 years ago. Probably little to high ,but it was the first and last that I had seen and seen since.
Please provide some links to the 3500 dollar ones.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Price Check Isle 21 ( No Politics Here!) - 08/05/16 10:32 PM
The 'Blue Book of Gun Values' stated subtract approximately 30% for double triggers w/ extractors and subtract 10% for double triggers w/ ejectors. I don't think the Blue Book is always right. However, if you get ready to trade a DT Model 21 with a dealer, they will wip out a Blue Book faster than a Hillary Clinton New York second. ;-)
Originally Posted By: vabirddog
Please provide some links to the 3500 dollar ones.

Exactly.
Gun sold for $6,000.
Unfortunately, not to me.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Price Check Isle 21 ( No Politics Here!) - 08/06/16 12:22 AM
$6000 seems high for that gun, but I just paid a bit more for a 32" vent rib trap, 12b. Model 21's are EXPENSIVE.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com