doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bibbyman Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/26/16 12:49 AM

I brought a "Wallhanger" double barrel muzzle loading shotgun today. It's marked Hewson on the locks and has London on the top rib. There are three proof marks on one barrel and none on the other. The barrels look to be steel - not Damascus or twist, and are shorter than I'd expect for a muzzle loading shotgun.

Photobucket is not cooperative this evening and the pictures above is not of the gun I bought but the gun I bought is in rougher condition and has less engraving.

I'll update with pictures of the actual gun when I can get them uploaded.

Any information on the origin of this gun and appropriate date it was made would be appreciated.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/26/16 12:57 AM
well heck

tell us about this gun laugh
Posted By: trw999 Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/26/16 04:53 PM
This is a possible maker of your gun, from IGC, but I am dubious about what you have without further info:

William Powley Hewson / Heevson / Hewyngson / Hewgynson
Other Names George Hewson
Address1 91 North Street
Address2 91 North Street and 26 North Street
Address3 Cowick Street
Address4 127 Forest Hill
Address5
Address6
Address7
City/Town Exeter
County Devonshire
State/Region/Province
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gunmaker
Other Address
Dates 1820-1885?
Notes
William Powley Hewson was born in about 1779, the son of Thomas Hewson, gun stock maker, of 43 Shoe Lane, London. He was a pupil at Christ's Hospital and was apprenticed to Emanuel Mansfield in 1793.
He appears to have worked for Thomas Hewson of 133 Fetter Lane and 36 Piccadilly, because when Thomas emigrated to South Africa in 1820 W P Hewson and his sons George and Thomas, moved down to Exeter and he opened as a "Gunmaker from London" at 91 North Street. He was recorded there from 1823 to 1830, but he was also recorded at 26 North Street in 1827, these were aditional premises which were retained post 1827.

George was apprenticed to his father in 1821 as was Thomas in 1828.

In 1841 George opened his own business in East Reach, Taunton. What happened to Thomas, who had also been a pupil at Christ's Hospital in London prior to the family's move to Exeter, is not known.

In 1843 it appears that W P Hewson retired or died and George closed his business in Taunton to take over in Exeter. He sold the 26 North Street shop to James Osborn and moved the 91 North Street business to Cowick Street where he was recorded from 1843 to 1850. Between 1851 and 1854 the business was located at 127 Forest Hill where he remained until he appears to closed in about 1885.

The Osborns (Charles James Osborn) closed in 1870.

Tim
Posted By: Bibbyman Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/26/16 05:21 PM
Thanks for the wealth of background information.

There are only 3 marks on bottom of one barrel. Two look to my uneducated eye as British proof marks. I don't know what to make of the Z or N. Does this help date the gun?

The barrels are about 27" long depending on if you measure from the barrel hook face or the end plugs or depth of bores. They show no signs of being cut. The barrels touch at muzzle. The tiny bead is about 1" back from muzzle. There is no indication the barrels are Damascus or any kind of twist. They look to be fluid steel. Could this gun have been made this late to have steel barrels?
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/26/16 07:19 PM
Steel barrels ,of the day, were in use a long time ago. Are the bores pitted badly? From pics provided, it looks like it could still be a shooter.
Posted By: Bibbyman Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/26/16 08:32 PM
We dropped a light down the bores and although they need cleaning, I couldn't detect any pits. I'll report back after cleaning.
Posted By: Bibbyman Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 10/27/16 09:16 PM

Here is a picture of the gun I bought. It's not in as nice a condition as the one in the picture I used. But it's for sure honestly original.

The wrist is busted and repaired as many old guns were. The right barrel has three small dents, the left one. Surprise! The nipples came out easily. I flooded the barrels and brushed them and then mopped them out. Dropping a bore light down the bores, I could see a lot of bright metal and no heavy pits.
Posted By: Daveh11 Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 11/19/16 09:25 AM
Hi All, the info about WP Hewson fills in great detail in my family tree, W P Hewson appears on it as my greatx?grandfather.
and fits nicely alongside my small collection of "Hewson" guns. Any further info on "Hewson" guns would be appreciated by all my family. Regards Daveh11
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 11/19/16 01:23 PM
Donate it to the local Cracker Barrel then you can reminisce while you dine.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Hewson percussion double barrel - 11/19/16 10:31 PM
Daveh11
Pleased to have you posting smile
Welcome aboard
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com