doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GeorgeP Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/10/07 06:40 PM
I found an old paper and brass shell at a flea market and picked it up just for curiosity. Can anyone tell me anything about it? On the bottom it reads "1901 No. 4 and Leader". The brass measures 1 3/8 high. Overall the shell measures 4 inches. Diameter of the brass at the bottom is 1 1/8 inches.

Look forword to hearing about this. Thanks for your time. George
Posted By: Ortolan Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/10/07 07:55 PM
Sounds like it could be an old Winchester Leader heavy waterfowl load, chiefly due to the shot size (#4) and the external case dimentions. Sounds like an 8 ga. to me from the measurements but you'd need someone more expert in the various shell lengths and gauges to weigh in here. KBM
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/10/07 08:59 PM
I would think that #4 on the brass means 4 gauge.
Posted By: 775 Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/10/07 09:35 PM
Yup, big-un!

Only see one 4ga shell listed in the 1902 Hartley cataloge, it is the empty "First Quality" 4". My limited handful of other cataloges do not even mention 4ga.

Speaking of which, saw the Daly-duo 4 and 8 bore at the recent show here....that 8 looks like it cold be a 4 and the 4 is off the scale!

Very nice bit of craftsmanship though.

Best,
Mark
Posted By: PeteM Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/11/07 03:01 AM
So some one else did attend that show. I was beginning to think I was the only non-vendor in the place. I asked about those 2. He told me the 4 bore weighs in at 22lbs and the 8 bore a mere 16lbs. Actually saw a decent Fox AE 12ga for a good price. Trouble was the seller won't stop talking on his cell phone to even answer a question. Finally get tired of waiting and walked away.

Not sure I would even have to fire that 4 bore to take an elephant. One look and the tusker would keel over with laughter at thought of me hauling that monster on a sled through the bush.

I checked "Cartridges of the World". The only 4" long shell he lists is a 4 bore.

Pete
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/11/07 11:40 AM
I've got some 4" 8 bore, a 6" 10 bore and a 3" 16 bore in my collection.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/11/07 11:50 AM
Mike,

You have 6" 10ga shell? Who made it?

Pete
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/11/07 12:56 PM
I'd have to look Pete. From memory it's red and I think Winchester made it. I'll look when I get home from work.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Help With Info on old Paper Shell - 05/11/07 06:15 PM
Pete it is a Winchester Nublack.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com