doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 09:55 PM
I just wondered if anyone here actually uses a "Shooting Brake".

As I get older and stiffer, the reality is that I enjoy a greater level of comfort in my pursuits. I am tired of trucks, and am considering alternatives.
I've been working with some upscale euro auto companies, and several now make an AWD, Sport Wagon. Very comfortable, great ride, and big power.

I understand that traditionally, a shooting brake had 2 doors, but 4 doors on a stiff modern chassis is much more functional.

Mostly, it would be used to attend shoots, haul guns and gear, a passenger or two, and ferry me between sporting destinations.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:07 PM
My 1974 Ford Country Squire, powered by a 460 cubic inch V8, with full complement of wooden (??) panels in the bodywork, is my idea of a perfect shooting brake. It will smoke the tires with four bird dogs and three hunters on board.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:13 PM
i seems to remember Aston Martin recently made one - a one of

if you cannot find a proper DB5 in good shape

but - to serve the purpose you would as you say fall to the European sport/crossover - The Audi AWD sport wagons looks good, most of the makers have one in the stable
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:24 PM
That's true OH.
All the big makers produce an AWD Estate wagon with increased ground clearance. I am hoping someone here uses one for attending shoots, and can describe their experience.

I am partial to the Volvo V90, as it harkens back to the P1800 Estate car. I drove the AMG last week, but I cannot see the corners, which bothers me.
Posted By: moses Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:31 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
My 1974 Ford Country Squire, powered by a 460 cubic inch V8, with full complement of wooden (??) panels in the bodywork, is my idea of a perfect shooting brake. It will smoke the tires with four bird dogs and three hunters on board.

That makes me feel a little inadequate with only a Kawasaki 140L & 1 gun.
O.M
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:33 PM
ah the p1800 estate - I loved that car's looks - there was one sitting next to a closed business near here for about a year- told my wife i wish I had the energy to restore it

btw- since I still need to fit gear, guns and sometimes decoys in around two large dog boxes, I don't get a brake - at some point - down sizing to one dog may help
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:51 PM
This vehicle is more of a "pavement centered" excursion vehicle. Primary tasks would be comfort up to 1000 miles/day. 4 reclineable seats. All season tractability.
Great highway and twisty road performance.

I want comfort from here to wherever I head to shoot. And if I want it to be more exciting, It'll be under the hood.
Posted By: GLS Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 10:56 PM
Here’s my 2003 “Brake”. 190,000 miles, 4X4. 4X4 was invented to insure that vehicles would get stuck farther into the woods than those vehicles without 4X4. To offset this design feature, I had mine wired for front and back winch work with a 2” receiver installed in the front. The winch is an 8000S Warn “portable” with a 100’ of Spectra rope which trims 18 lbs. off of what stainless wire would weigh. It saved my bacon last turkey season miles from help. The crate holds my two Brittanys comfortably. There is room for another crate in the second row of seats. I removed one of the third row seats to accommodate the crate. The Sequoia is a comfortable ride for family trips. I will re-power if necessary.

Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 11:00 PM
We cut the entire top off of a Cadillac sedan De Ville, put permanent dog boxes where the trunk was...It demised it self after a couple of years...eh?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 11:12 PM
I owned this one until last fall:

1996 Buick Roadmaster. The last two years of production, 95 and 96 got an iron head version of the Corvette LT1, and made stupid amounts of horsepressure. Heated leather, limited slip, bunches of power candy stuff, towed 7000 lbs comfortably, 25 miles to the gallon going down the road on a good day.

Dog crates, kids, dogs, cute Colombian chick to pick ticks off of us, good hunting buddy, tools, full size spare tire (on the car, not hunting buddy) beer, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I miss it. I don't miss working on a Chevy LT1, however. I owned an almost identicle 1993 that I pulled the throttle body 350 motor out of, and swapped a fresh small block 400 with the injection and heads from the 350, and then put 160,000 more miles on it. Much less trouble to work on, but, less power, too.

I replaced it with a Ford extended cab pickup. Big, ugly, useful, I see 24mpg all the time in the summer. Eco Boost, 4x4, these vehicles are so handy, and so expensive.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eightbore Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 11:16 PM
What does anyone think about the Dodge Magnum, a classy low slung ride with power and room for guns and dogs? Out of production and a cult vehicle of the future.
Posted By: builder Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 11:19 PM
Look at Ford Flex AWD. Don't know much about them but everyone loves them.
Posted By: craigd Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 11:45 PM
It's just me, but I wonder about car based AWD cross over type vehicles. They just seem to rattle apart on gravel roads and routine washboards. The nicer interior trim doesn't seem to soak up much muck. They start off looking and driving nice, but as a replacement for what a truck used to do?
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/16/17 11:54 PM
I like the Suzuki SX4, but these might be more your guys style!
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/look-at-best-shooting-brakes-ever-made#1
Posted By: canvasback Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 12:12 AM
I bought a 2002 VW Passat wagon with all wheel drive and an 300 hp 8 cylinder in the W8 configuration. Only VW built on the Audi A6 platform at the time.

Would carry my gear and dogs, go anywhere subject to ground clearance, had leather seats so cleaned up easily, topped it out at 250 kph (155 mph) going to the hunting lodge one day and was one of the best cars I've ever owned for eating up hwy miles. Loved it!

Ex still has it. cry
Posted By: canvasback Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 12:17 AM
What does anyone think about the Dodge Magnum, a classy low slung ride with power and room for guns and dogs? Out of production and a cult vehicle of the future.

This is true. I have a gearhead nephew and he thinks they are awesome.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 12:24 AM
I just put a Weathertech trunk mat in my new to me Infiniti M37 sedan. It is my weekend fishing vehicle. If I had dogs, I would have gotten a used FX35 with 4 wheel drive (has a smoking V8 version as well). In this day and age, you can have the best of all worlds smile
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 12:40 AM
With regards the Magnum wagon, well, They have a Dodge interior. So, that's a hindrance for me.

I attended the NAIAS in Detroit last Friday, and I've seen all the iddy biddy cross overs I can stand. They aren't for me.

The only break out SUV I saw was the new GM Traverse. A little wider, more spacious, but down sized from a Tahoe or Envoy. The UpCountry trim package was pretty great, but the 3rd row seating was stupid.

The BMW Mi8 will have to wait.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 12:51 AM
I'm on my 3rd Ford Expedition. Love 'em.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 01:12 AM
I don't have a "brake" ..... I have a hunting rig. It is a '87 Jeep Wrangler with 12.50 x 35 tires, a swapped in 350 c.i. Chevy small block with an Edelbrock aluminum intake and 4 bbl. carb, a TH350 Chevy tranny and Dana transfer case, 4.56 effective gear ratio and a Warn 8000# front winch. It has done everything I have needed it to for 8-10 years now, with only minor maintenance. It's a "hoss".

Rear view about 8 years ago, when had it wrapped in Max 4HD.

Oh yeah ........ I've got $4000 in it.

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 01:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I'm, as they say, "moving in a different direction", than most contributors on this thread, I think.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:06 AM

Someone besides you certainly did

I actually have a gun vault in my storage unit made for a Dodge Magnum that turned out too small for my use.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:09 AM
On the subject of hunting rigs, my first was a Jeep Cherokee. It was followed by a Suburban with a custom drawer unit purchased off craigslist, now replaced by a Tahoe with a custom drawer I made myself.

I miss the room of the Suburban and when the Tahoe wears out I will go back to a Suburban, but that won't be for 100k or so.

I found I liked the cloth seats with covers better because I let the dogs up front with me alot and the leather seats get tornup easily or so mine did

I also find a heated drivers seat critically important
Posted By: craigd Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:31 AM
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
....The only break out SUV I saw was the new GM Traverse. A little wider, more spacious, but down sized from a Tahoe or Envoy. The UpCountry trim package was pretty great, but the 3rd row seating was stupid....

How about taking a look at the new Cadillac XT7 if you like the platform. It should scoot and corner pretty good. My wife drives a current version of the Traverse. It does just fine and that last row of seats folds down to a fairly usable load up space, but it's the exact reason I know I wouldn't get real tickled about counting on it regularly off road. For a more pedestrian ride, I've seen SUV Subaru's do a nice job, but you ain't gonna wow anyone at the country club. Maybe, post up a picture of snow donuts when you get the new shooting brake.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:46 AM
I'm serious with this question ..... are you guys serious about spending the bucks necessary to buy a new SUV to trash with dogs and mud and blood and such? A new Cadillac ? Really?

SRH
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 03:08 AM
Hell no Stan - get a used one. Something with the bugs well worked out of it.

I am partial to the Volvo V90, as it harkens back to the P1800 Estate car. I drove the AMG last week, but I cannot see the corners, which bothers me.

No offense intended but the V-90 with 2WD is quite obsolete... even more so than the P1800ES (or P183 as we in the Volvo business are accustomed to referring to that model.)
Any of the AWD Volvos with a bit more ground clearance (except the XC90) are just about perfect - that is to say 2001 and later XC-70's, the 2010 and later XC-60 (which I currently haul dog and gear and extra people to and from shooting/hunting grounds with) are ideal for field use and afford good comfort.
Posted By: craigd Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
I'm serious with this question ..... are you guys serious about spending the bucks necessary to buy a new SUV to trash with dogs and mud and blood and such? A new Cadillac ? Really?

SRH

It's just fun Stan. Previous page, I was thinking stick with a pickup. CZ said he's moving in a different direction. He wants a road vehicle, a thousand mile a day pavement eater.

Yup really for me, I can't see myself with a 'shooting brake', unless it's a rental for a few days. I did once get a later fee added on for something about excessive clean up. Heck, cback says leather is easy to clean up. Better someone else than me, nooo thanks.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 03:25 AM
Mine's a white 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4wd, raised 3", roof mounted spare, grill guard, and Wrangler Duratrac's. Something's growing in one of the body seams...
JR
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 03:26 AM
DAM16SXS- I'm thinking of the V90 Cross country model.
I liked the walnut trim, choices on the leather, vibrating seats, the over all Swedish styling.

Stan- I'm talking exclusively about shooting, not hunting. Preserves, gun clubs, golf courses, resorts, etc. Slush and snow, ski trips, that sort of thing.
Long drives to wherever I'm meeting other folks.

I have other vehicles for dirty pursuits.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 03:27 AM
The original question was a shooting brake. Not an off road capable 4WD

It's a British concept - a vehicle capable of transporting a shooter and limited gear to a shoot. Not onto the logging roads of Iron county in the UP

My 4Runner is a hunting vehicle sometimes. And a long distance in foul weather travel vehicle
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 03:50 AM
Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus
The original question was a shooting brake. Not an off road capable 4WD

It's a British concept - a vehicle capable of transporting a shooter and limited gear to a shoot. Not onto the logging roads of Iron county in the UP

That's true.
I already have too many vehicles for that.
I'm paring down the fleet, and going more upscale, more luxurious.
If you are going to pound the miles, you can't beat wheelbase and air suspension. And collision avoidance technology.

The rear limousine seats in the new Mercedes are absolutely fantastic. But I'd never get to ride in them.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 04:19 AM
Luxurious, wheelbase, air suspension. Peterbilt. Don't need accident avoidance. Put a 'roo bar on it and smash stuff outta yer way.

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 04:41 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Luxurious, wheelbase, air suspension. Peterbilt. Don't need accident avoidance. Put a 'roo bar on it and smash stuff outta yer way.

Isn't that what a M1A1 Abrams tank is for?

I drove to South Dakota and back in a pick up truck, never again.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 04:53 AM
The Ortolan deep fryer is a 10 million dollar option on the Abrams.

Posted By: John Roberts Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 05:30 AM
I would go with a Volvo XC70. There's a really nice 2012 on Autotrader in NJ with less than 36,000 mi. for $26,500.
JR

Posted By: tw Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 07:06 AM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
The Ortolan deep fryer is a 10 million dollar option on the Abrams.

That cracks me up!

Suggest a BMW X5 w/diesel. Its my bud's vehicle, but we've gone a lot of miles using it w/gear and such, loaded to the gills over the last several years. Heated seats, hell for stout interior, great mileage and doesn't even know its running at 85mph. Torque monster. Also remarkably cross-wind resistant. Six hundred miles in a day is a no-brainer, 500 hundred getting there and another hundred off-road afterwards, I've not driven it farther than that in a day's time, but doubt it would be an issue.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 11:44 AM
Stan- I'm talking exclusively about shooting, not hunting. Preserves, gun clubs, golf courses, resorts, etc. Slush and snow, ski trips, that sort of thing.
Long drives to wherever I'm meeting other folks.

Oooooh ........ well then, my wife drives one of those. '15 Yukon Denali with 6.2 V8. Wait 'til I tell her what she's got. She won't leave home without her Barbour and her Joules again.

Heck, go ahead and go big, CZ. Here it be, base price $171K. But when you open the hatch you'd better not pull anything out of a case less than a matched pair of McNaughtons.

http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/range-rover/svautobiography-dynamic/index.html

SRH (my seats vibrate in my Jeep, too ...... compliments of those 12.50-33 mudders)
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 11:58 AM

CZ, I'm not poking fun at you or anyone else who wants a nice ride to drive to shoots, at all. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for. I've got a new to me F250 Lariat I just drove to Arkansas and back on a duck hunting foray. Most of the amenities that you mentioned ('cept the vibrating seats), but still a truck. Just makes a lot more sense for me. When I get a pile of miles on it I'll just put in in the fields on the farm as a work truck.

Hey did I mention the Rover Dynamic has 550 hp? wink

All my best, SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: OH Osthaus

My 4Runner is a hunting vehicle sometimes. And a long distance in foul weather travel vehicle

Plus one on the Toyota Fourunner. I'm on my 2nd one and love it. If the Tallyban can go the war in one I'm pretty sure mine will get me out of the woods...Geo
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 01:05 PM
My hunting rig is a 2002 Excursion with the big V-10. 10.5 X 33 tires gets me in and out - so far. Without the third seat it hauls two large dog crates and all the gear for 4 of us. When I have 5 I add the Tule box to the top rack. Works well and average mileage to and from SD and in and around the fields there is 12-14. Road mileage averages around 16 with cruise. I and my hunting buddies can live with the mileage for the comfort we have.
Posted By: GLS Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 01:45 PM
One thing necessary is ground clearance which may be lacking in some of the "go fast" brakes. One practical addition to the SUV's are the custom false floor full length gun cabinets with pull out drawers for guns and equipment. The drawers aren't visible with the gate/hatch closed. I've seen some nice ones on this forum--Amarillo Mike's? Mike has that "erector set" dog box as well. Gil
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:05 PM
Gil- Many of the AWD Sport wagons have 8+ inches of clearance.
400 hp in some of them.
When you want to go, it's in there.

I've had plenty of SUV's, I'm going in a different direction this time. Tired of driving the big buses. Not playing guide and chauffeur any more either. My lifestyle and needs are evolving. I'm refocusing my leisure pursuits.

DamSXS seems to be the only respondent exploring the genre so far.
Posted By: GLS Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:21 PM
My daughter drives an AWD Subaru Outback. As she currently lives in Brooklyn, she is piling up parking tickets and I expect it to be coming home soon. When she was teaching in France, I used it occasionally during the turkey season and parked my gas guzzling Toyota. It seemed to get around fairly well on the back roads and sipped gas.

Years ago, when I was between trucks, I used a front wheel drive Honda Wagovan, the Little Brown Hen. I high centered it in the turkey woods and walked out and hitch hiked back to town in full camo carrying a Mossy 835. I got dropped off at Jerry's car lot by the man in a truck who picked me up. Jerry went in with his tow truck and pulled me out. Just before the man let me out at Jerry's, out of curiosity I asked him why he would pick up anyone carrying a shot gun. "By the time I saw the gun, it was too late." smile
Gil
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:26 PM
Gil- I have an '08 Forester, and it's very maneuverable in the woods. You'll like the Subie.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 02:27 PM
An Izaak Walton League fellow club member, Royal Carlock, (google him) was an avid coon hunter when I was a small boy. He and his wife shared a pair of 1957 Chevrolets, a Nomad and a Bel Air two door hardtop, both painted in the miserable GM metallic pink. His wife always drove a late model Cadillac Fleetwood four door. Royal would not think of transporting the coon hounds in the Chevrolets, which were always immaculate. However, when his wife would purchase a new Fleetwood, the old one would be stripped of its rear seat and become the "Shooting Brake". These were not old cars, and externally looked like limos for hire. Royal purchased the original 365 acre farm that is now a 600 some acre Izaak Walton conservation exercise. Royal became ill and died about the time I got released from military service in late 1969.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 06:09 PM
I like my miles eater - a 96 Volvo 850 turbo. 28+ mpg on the interstate, heated leather seats, legroom, cavernous trunk. I put one of those removable "canvas" (made from some synthetic fiber) seat covers on the back seat for the dog.

Cost me $3500 4 years ago, plus the usual maintenance on a 21 y/o car.

OTOH, if you want to go really high-end, a friend of a friend uses a Porsche Cayenne. Goes fast, rides great, and it's a real SUV that can go off-road (if you really want to). https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how-good-is-a-porsche-cayenne-as-an-offroad-vehicle/
Posted By: oskar Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 06:56 PM
For me it is a Ford E-150 Cargo Van with posi-traction and 3/4 ton running gear under it. It is set up with a bunk, table, cabinets, lights and furnace in the back and a solar panel on the roof. I can go to shoots or hunt just about anywhere, plenty of ground clearance and with a set of chains I can follow a 4x4 just about anywhere, sand washes are my only problem spots. It even has a built in gun locker that will hold 4 guns.

Chasing birds in MT with four kennel dog trailer complete with electric ventilation system to keep the dogs cool on hot days.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/17/17 07:35 PM
There was an old guy in Redlands that was a limey SxS'er, had a pile of 'em, who also had a Rolls shooting brake. It was pretty hammered but it was all there and he drove it to the club every time I saw him..... I suspect that his son now has all the guns and the Roll'er

have another day
Dr.WtS
Posted By: Emmett Boylan Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 04:13 AM
My current shooting brake is a Subaru Outback, preceded by a series of various pickups, a Ford Explorer Limited 4wd, a full-sized Bronco, a Suburban, a Jeep Grand Wagoneer, a Jeep Commando, a Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon, a Buick Wildcat four-door hardtop, an ancient VW Bug, and a 1965 Volvo 544. They've all been fun, but the most missed is the Wagoneer, which I owned for about 12 years. I'm now on the short list for a call on a nice 1987 Grand Wagoneer if the current owner ever decides to sell. If I should win a lottery, I'll go to Wagon Master for a fully restored Grand Wagoneer. Or go buy a Range Rover.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 11:46 AM
Ford is reintroducing the Bronco. It might be a good seller. There is almost a cult following of the old Broncos.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/1/19/Ne...ration-7737437/

SRH
Posted By: GLS Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 01:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Ford is reintroducing the Bronco. It might be a good seller. There is almost a cult following of the old Broncos.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/1/19/Ne...ration-7737437/

SRH

Our HVAC man at my old office had over 20 Broncos in various stages of condition at his farm in Glennville.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 01:33 PM
Driving a thousand miles at a stretch in a short wheelbase truck makes you wish you wore dentures.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 01:40 PM
Driving a thousand miles at a stretch in a short wheelbase truck makes you wish you wore dentures.

i went to college with a kid whose dad owned an insurance company - which was likely the only reason he could still get insurance

in short order he totaled a Jag E type, a GTO and another car i forget- in response his dad bought him a Land Rover-this was back in the pre luxury days- that really slowed him down- he made one long trip in it and afterwards stayed much closer to home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 02:40 PM
I drive a lot of miles.

A Shooting brake can reduce fatigue, and add to the experience of going shooting. All while reintroducing the fun of driving in a spirited, yet comfortable, fashion. So, in addition to the joy of the shooting, you are adding in the delight of the drive. In a vehicle that pleases you in other ways as well.

People fantasize about crawling over logs, fording streams, climbing mountains, etc. but in reality, turning around in a "UP carwash" is probably the toughest thing they'd ever do. And they aren't going to drive a 50K pick up there anyway.

Most of today's 4WD vehicles are "Mall Crawlers", and the first thing people do is add low slung running boards so they can get in and out. Kinda defeats the clearance claims.

Funny story, one of the "School Mom's" at my children's school drove an H1 Hummer. Pink of all things. On a slushy day, a truck passed her, and the backwash of slush covered her windshield. Her wipers couldn't move it. So, she stopped on the side of the road.

I came upon her (all 5' of her) trying to climb her vehicle, waiting for the auto club. She couldn't reach the wind screen to clear the slush. Lotta good those planetaries did her. Mall crawler. smile

Going shooting is not a Roald Amundsen level expedition. I don't want to feel like I've been in a rock tumbler all night when I arrive.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 02:57 PM
I drive a lot of miles.

A Shooting brake can reduce fatigue, and add to the experience of going shooting. All while reintroducing the fun of driving in a spirited, yet comfortable, fashion. So, in addition to the joy of the shooting, you are adding in the delight of the drive. In a vehicle that pleases you in other ways as well.

People fantasize about crawling over logs, fording streams, climbing mountains, etc. but in reality, turning around in a "UP carwash" is probably the toughest thing they'd ever do. And they aren't going to drive a 50K pick up there anyway.

Most of today's 4WD vehicles are "Mall Crawlers", and the first thing people do is add low slung running boards so they can get in and out. Kinda defeats the clearance claims.

Funny story, one of the "School Mom's" at my children's school drove an H1 Hummer. Pink of all things. On a slushy day, a truck passed her, and the backwash of slush covered her windshield. Her wipers couldn't move it. So, she stopped on the side of the road.

I came upon her (all 5' of her) trying to climb her vehicle, waiting for the auto club. She couldn't reach the wind screen to clear the slush. Lotta good those planetaries did her. Mall crawler. smile

Going shooting is not a Roald Amundsen level expedition. I don't want to feel like I've been in a rock tumbler all night when I arrive.

agreed - I put 30 to 40K a year on my 4Runner - other than driving in snow storms in 4WD - a hundred miles in real off road 4 wheeling would be tough year - and that is not running the Baja- mud, snow, logging roads maybe occasional fording a stream - plowed fields are the worst. And really - in most cases you drive in 2WD, 4WD is for getting out in case you get stuck, - get stuck in 4WD and you may be SOL even with a winch

I had a friend who used to say most people with a SUV think off road driving is a gravel parking lot at the golf course grin

I do spend 9 - 10 hours a day behind the wheel several times a year. I find this vehicle comfortable, I like having some mass around me and I do need the room -

but- if you take away one or two of those concerns - I would be in an AWD sport wagon - may still do that if we get down to one dog after these bird finders
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 03:30 PM
I'm a big fan of doing whatever you need to do to "find the joy" in every day living.
I've got about a dozen cars and trucks. So, any vehicle is just another indulgence. They pair well with shotguns.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 03:59 PM
Clapper,
Great post, choosing the vehicle appropriate to the task at hand.
Much like our selection of guns. As we age I feel that comfort has to come into play, and for me it's been a VW turbo Tiguan, heated seats and all.
Karl
Posted By: eightbore Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 04:15 PM
Osthaus, it would take more than less need for its features for me to change to another vehicle other than a 4-Runner. I can't find another truck that is more user friendly and also 21 miles per gallon. If my 4-Runner never went off road, I would still replace it with another one.
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting 8.5 - 01/20/17 05:13 PM
Osthaus, it would take more than less need for its features for me to change to another vehicle other than a 4-Runner. I can't find another truck that is more user friendly and also 21 miles per gallon. If my 4-Runner never went off road, I would still replace it with another one.

my last one got 21 MPH until I took it in for the "tune up" at 160k - dropped to 15 - eventually got it back up to 18+, this new one has been consistent at 18.5 mixed, but mostly highway. Since I have never had a repair on one- i will skip the "tune up" this time
Posted By: Bruce Bernacki Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 05:14 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned the Mercedes Sprinter van now available in AWD from the factory. In the past, they had to be converted aftermarket. Mercedes got smart and just integrated the aftermarket conversion (sourced from Australia, I believe). Personally I am in the Subaru Outback camp, but the vans are intriguing.

Bruce

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4-first-drive-review
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 05:37 PM
God help me. frown
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/20/17 10:37 PM
For eighteen years or so I have been buying used Ford Expeditions to use for my hunting vehicle. Until the 2012 I purchased last Summer I always bought the short version. I have had and worn out a 1997, another 1997, a 2000, and a 2003. My criteria when buying are one owner, four wheel drive, leather upholstery, and less than 50,000 miles.

The 2003 and later models have four wheel independent suspension. They are big improvements over their predecessors which had live axle rear suspension. I can drive one of the rear independent suspension models at twice the speed as a live rear axle model over a washboard road.

Expeditions are capable vehicles. They can be set to low range 4x4, high range 4x4, all wheel drive, and two wheel drive. I have driven them on the highway in 8 or 10 inches of snow. In wet sand, in dry sand, in mud, on iced pavement and across muddy creeks. They have good ground clearance and I have not been stuck very many times.

The ABS system also acts as locking differentials in four wheel drive mode. That is, the computer works the brake on each of the four wheels so that all four wheels are turning at the same speed, as if there was a locking diff between the front wheels and the back wheels and another locking diff between the right front wheel and the left front wheel and a third locking differential between the right rear and left rear wheels.

I did the new-to-me 2012 differently than the others I owned. I removed the third row seats and their seat belts. Then I installed my Truck Vault drawer (its fifth Expedition). I built an enclosure that is anchored to the seat belt reel attachment point, the seat belt hanger attachment point, and the third row seat bolt down points. There is a 1/8" thick vinyl mat on top of the Truck Vault drawer that simply slips out underneath the rear of the enclosure. This lowers the misery of cleaning up after a dog craps or throws up in the truck. I have comfortably hauled three French Brittanys and two Labs along with four hunters, along with all the necessary gear, provisions, and water in my rig.

I really like the ride of the 2012 long wheelbase model I am driving now. It is a wonderful highway vehicle. It has heated leather seats, navigation, traction control, power seats, 32.5 gallon gas tank, 330 hp, 1500 pound useful load, and the towing package which includes the 3.51 rearend. With a full load I average about 13 mpg at 82mph on the highway. About 10mpg in town. I have a heavy foot. Someone with better driving habits would probably get better gas mileage.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 01:37 AM
God help me. frown

It seems that it may take God to satisfy/please you with your requirements. Regardless, I wish you the best in your effort to do so.

SRH
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 02:30 AM
That's an expression, Stan.
I need his help to be patient.

On our planet filled with mechanized vehicles, there may not be anything further removed from the design concept of "Shooting Brake", than a Dodge Sprinter 4X4.

I surprised no one recommended a Kamaz, RABA, or Unimog.

I take full responsibility for my inadequate explanations of my cruising vessel desires and my impatient remarks.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 02:35 AM
Bet you could get that Ortalan deep fryer in that Sprinter real easy.

Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 02:43 AM
That's funny.

Though no frying is involved in the preparation of Ortolan's.
Read about it here. http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/ortolan_recipe.html
Posted By: OH Osthaus Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 03:04 AM
only because a Unimog is better suited as a gun's bus than a brake

as Michaleen says in the Quiet Man - the propitiates must be observed
Posted By: eightbore Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 12:39 PM
Although my 4-Runner is now my Shooting Brake, let me explain that from 1972 until 2010, I tried to wear out two wonderful Suburbans and a beefed up Blazer. Those three vehicles were perfection except for the gas consumption.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting Brakes - 01/21/17 12:48 PM
That's funny.

Though no frying is involved in the preparation of Ortolan's.
Read about it here. http://www.ecis.com/~alizard/ortolan_recipe.html

And I thought my friend who occasionally cooks and eats an armadillo was nuts. At least he guts the thing.

Yuckkkkk.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com