doublegunshop.com - home
I will be in London, UK for 3 days in May.
I have time to attend a shooting school on Sat. the 20th.

Anyone have any opinions about which place provides a better experience?

EJ Churchill

Holland and Holland

West London Shooting School

Any POSITIVE thoughts would be welcome.

I wish to train for driven birds, not SC competitions.
I have heard the H&H school is fantastic! I have not been, but the source who has passed on, was very picky, where things must be perfect or it a bust
I have been to West London Shooting school and strongly recommend it. I had a fitting performed there.
Last I was aware their driven options include high flyers and grouse simulations.
Jeremy
I actually was randomly taken to the H&H grounds when I was a teenager. In fact, I believe it was the first time I shot. Fantastic facility, we mainly shot sporting clays, but at the end we shot clays from the ground released from high towers. Very challenging, but, like I said, I had never shot before.
West London, IMO. Try to schedule Alan Rose, if he is not retired by now. WLSS is easy to get to and close to London city center, near Heathrow.
I'll add to my initial recommendation and second the recommendation of Mr.Rose.
If you are not bringing your own gun it is even possible to access West London S S from the underground (West Ruislip if I recall).
Jeremy
Posted By: DLH Re: Choosing a Shooting School near London, UK - 01/22/17 06:18 PM
I've shot at the H&H grounds with instructor Nathan Dudley. Its about 45 minutes on the tube to Northwood and then a short cab ride from the station there to the facility. Its a fantastic place and Nathan is a very nice guy and good instructor.

While in London, H&H stored my guns and even transported them to their grounds for me.

They really made it easy for me.

Hope this helps and enjoy your time in the UK.
One thing that occurs to me is that given that most of the options, frankly, are probably top notch, what kind of style of shooting are you looking on getting instruction in (Churchill, Stanbury, etc.)? It might pay to contact the schools and find out what they emphasize and to what extent they work on your particular style. I'd guess Churchill emphasizes Churchill and my recollection was WLSS focused on Stanbury but was adaptable.
Just a thought.
Jeremy
Go to the West London Shooting School and do the Ripon Challenge.
Then report back on your success.
WLSS it is.
My SIL will take instruction with me, as well as learning to "stuff".
Details are somewhat "sketchy" as of yet, but I have noticed that WLSS is expanding their web marketing presence, and that may explain current communication voids.

I could be induced to visit gun rooms, outfitters, or perhaps enjoy cocktails with any members located in London at that time.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As an aside, anticipate that most folks will be in British shooting attire, of course, but wear what you'd wear here, particularly if you're having a fitting. When I went there I'm certain I stood out like a sore thumb as I took my canvas vest and shirt and jeans since that's what the fitting needed to accommodate. Regardless no one batted an eye and I was treated like anyone else there. Very professional staff and as I wrote previously I highly recommend it.

I should make up a good excuse to go back. ... I've put on weight... must be time to be refitted smile

Jeremy
Posted By: DLH Re: Choosing a Shooting School near London, UK - 03/27/17 03:49 AM
You are going to love it. Shooting in England for clays or birds is a great experience. Please let us know how things go. While in London go to Churchill Arms pub in Kensington for an ale and thai food and Rules in Covent Garden for a nice supper. Rules is very British and really good.
Well, everything is all arranged.

After arrival in London, a quick trip to "Gentleman's Tonic" for a proper haircut and shave, then fittings and alterations at Cording's.

We shoot at WLSS Saturday AM, and after lunch will shoot the Ripon Challenge. Still working on securing someone to video the effort.

Looking forward to meeting any double gun afficionado's in the London area.
Cordings eh? Plus twos or plus fours? smile
Jeremy
Posted By: SKB Re: Choosing a Shooting School near London, UK - 05/06/17 03:44 PM
Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!
I think in plus 4's, I'd look quite a bit like Auric Goldfinger.
We'll see.
I have a few pairs of breeks, but am considering +4's for their comfort.
Posted By: 1cdog Re: Choosing a Shooting School near London, UK - 05/07/17 08:21 PM
Cordings is nice. I have been there many times and bought a little of everything.

Cordings is owned by Eric Clapton.

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Well, everything is all arranged.

After arrival in London, a quick trip to "Gentleman's Tonic" for a proper haircut and shave, then fittings and alterations at Cording's.

We shoot at WLSS Saturday AM, and after lunch will shoot the Ripon Challenge. Still working on securing someone to video the effort.

Looking forward to meeting any double gun afficionado's in the London area.

What is the difference between plus 2 and plus 4 pants. Also, where do breeks fit in? or are breeks an all inclusive term for pants that are kind of like knickers in the US definition of knickers? Please help a old guy who shoots NIDs.
Breeks are tapered to the knee.
+2's "festoon" 2 inches below the knee.
+4's 4 inches below the knee.

The roominess of plus 4's has not gone unnoticed by me, but, I am short, and my legs more so. So, +2's, with a generous blossum just below the knee, are my preferred shooting pants.

I can adorn my extraordinarily powerful legs with my favorite stocking, and wear the finest footwear while so doing.

cough, cough
It keeps everyone's mind off my shooting.
Many thanks CZ!
Originally Posted By: 1cdog
Cordings is owned by Eric Clapton.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I didn't know that but it makes sense given his extensive gun collection a few of which he occasionally auctions off at Holt's.

Back to the original diversion: as indicated +2s = 2" below the knee, +4 = 4" below the knee and I've always understood breeks to be a sort of +0 ending just below the knee and having less loose fabric. However breeks tends to be used as an all inclusive term as well.

Jeremy
Just so that you know.
If you turn up at any shooting school in +4's or +2's nowadays , unless it is a livery , charity , or simulated Game day , you will be conspicuous .
Normal garb is slacks and polo shirts or open collared shirts, casual wear is the order of the day.
The entire exercise is a fundraiser for UK youth shooting activities. I'm just doing my part to contribute.

The "Ripon Challenge" would just be another flurry event if it weren't for the eccentric clothes, and the double gun shooting.

I always thought that was the point of it. To celebrate Lord Ripon's excesses, and to direct the proceeds to a worthy cause.
It's all for fun.
So, today we shot at the WLSS.
Wonderful grounds, and excellent tutelage.
My son-in-law took his lessons well, and has now received a solid introduction to the sporting life.
After lessons, and between rain squalls, we ate lunch at the restaurant on the grounds. It was very good, and well received.

A brief rest for coffee, and we kitted up to shoot the "Ripon Challenge".

I shot a trio of AyA #1's for the "Challenge". Cartridges were 21gram Hull fibre wads. More than adequate for the task.

In between rain squalls, I managed to break 20 targets in a minute for the final score.
The lead score is 28 at this writing.

I had never shot with a loader before today.
Realistically, I probably cannot see well enough, nor am I fast enough at my age, to get past 25 targets in 1 minute.

28 birds in a minute is exceedingly fast.
My percentage of left's and right's was very high, what it was exactly won't be determined until I review the video's.

If you ever get a chance to "Double Gun", find someone to load for you and give it a go. You won't regret the experience.

And, it was for a very good cause.
Very good to know; thanks.
I shall put it on my to do list as I now have a pair of SLEs that fit me and are crying for real use.
Were the WLSS staff serving as loaders or is that another possibility for attendees?
I'd have to get my +2s patched up though smile
Jeremy
Jeremy,
Remember, I write all this as an American.

First, there are a number of surprises awaiting before you get anywhere near the grounds, if you are staying in the city.

Gun grounds in the US share certain elements with each other, and WLSS doesn't. (Suitably vague to encourage others to go and experience the pilgrimage)

My SIL and his instructor, Paul.

Learning to take high pheasant.

Nose over the toes, push that hip forward, and finish at 10 O'clock.
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Cartridges were 21gram Hull fibre wads. More than adequate for the task.

21g (3/4 oz) Hull Comp X fibre wad are a good cartridge for clays grounds since that are light in recoil for novices and as you have found 'do the business' for those more experienced. Many grounds seem to use them now.
I shoot all my clays with them now (mostly also from an AyA No 1)
Hello CZ,

Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on your shooting!

JC
Next up, a driven pheasant day this fall. It's the logical next step and would be a great way to finish off this thread in style!
I have some video editing to do, and then I'll finish the "Ripon Challenge" theme with a P/E.
I am resting in Scotland for a few days, and hope to edit the video for sharing today.

We are staying in at a friend's home in a little fishing village on the North Sea coast. Just eating seafood, exploring local castles and nearby moorland, and drinking whisky. Evenings are spent down at the pub with the fishermen. Playing pool, throwing darts, and enjoying pub life.

The house is up on a hill, above the sea, looking downslope to the village. There is a pair of Grey partridges nesting in the rear hedge. And a plethora of wood pigeon. It's very restorative.

I am already booked for about 6 days of driven shooting, spread out in October and December.

I won't be in a grouse butt until next year.

Unfortunately, I've had to trade this excursion for participating in the spring shoots around my home in Michigan.
Some lovely places to explore in N.E. Scotland. I was staying in Perthshire last year. Also my boss owns an estate just outside Ballater where I sometime go and stay. Staff rates at the cottages on the estate. Have a great time. Lagopus.....
Small world. I am quite near Ballater right now. (1/2 hr)
Partridge and pheasant nesting out front.

Small batch single malts seem to be limiting my mobility at present.
Look out for the Glenmuick Estate at Ballater. Nice place to own! That is unless Nicola Sturgeon gets her way! Lagopus.....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com