doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Rockdoc Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/22/17 01:17 PM
I recently purchased a 1909 A grade Ansley H. Fox 12 gauge SXS project gun and am currently looking for a butt plate. I can purchase a replica Fox Sterlingworth butt plate easily enough, and it looks as if it’ll fit, but I’m not certain if it’s appropriate to what was on a graded Fox. Did the early model graded Fox SXS’s use the same butt plate as the Sterlingworths?

Steve
Posted By: Researcher Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/22/17 01:45 PM
The earlier butt plates didn't have the ring around the screw holes and used a flat headed wood screw.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/22/17 01:54 PM
Thanks for the help Researcher, I guess the Sterlingworth butt plate will be just fine. I thought perhaps that the Graded Fox's used a fancier butt plate with some bas-relief figures in the center but I must be thinking of other manufacturers.

Steve
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/22/17 02:01 PM
I sugest you call Jason, Steve. He has been very helpful to me in supplying original Fox parts. Very personable guy.

https://www.ahfoxparts.com/home.html

SRH
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/23/17 03:00 AM
Stan,

I checked with ahfoxparts about their semi-inletted butt stocks they sell and what it would take to turn a pistol grip into a straight grip (FWIW, just some simple resculpting). Anyhow, thanks for the referral, I was so focused on the butt stock at the time I forgot to inquire about the butt plate.

Steve
Posted By: Leland Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/24/17 01:20 PM
I was wondering what price rang those early gun were running?
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/24/17 01:24 PM
The very early buttplates are different than the later graded plates. They were a little of a different shape and they have more of a pointed toe.

If you cannot come up with one, let me know, i have repros on hand.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/24/17 02:37 PM
I don't know about a graded Fox but the 2 different sourced repo butt plates I have purchased for a 12 & 16 were both too small to allow for working down to match the existing size/contour of the butt stock. A Large Rifle butt plate from Brownell's works out perfectly. Holes match, serations in the plate match, with plenty of material to work down. They are thicker which is OK with me for a little extra LOP, but no ring around screw holes. Will probably need to set the screws deeper in the plate.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Graded Fox butt plate question - 01/24/17 04:21 PM
This is the original butt plate on a 1909 A grade Fox 12 gauge that has been in my family since it was new.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com