doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 Ebony extension >1" - 03/08/17 02:27 AM
On an earlier thread I promised a picture of an ebony extension >1". When you are adding length < 1 inch, my preferences are: 1. ebony/ horn, 2. leather, 3. walnut and then 4. rubber. They are all acceptable, that is just my order of preference. Once you exceed 1 inch, IMO the choices dwindle to ebony and walnut.

/IMG

Finally a closeup of the butt checkering, which I prefer slightly coarse for better purchase.

Posted By: CMWill Re: Ebony extension >1" - 03/08/17 06:54 PM
Looks like a very professional job, what make of O/U is it? Did you ever consider a butt stock transplant?

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16839920

A less expensive alternative would also be the Galazan 1.5" "period correct" recoil pad but I have yet to see one that doesn't look odd to me. I would opt to have a 1/2" black spacer and a standard 1" recoil pad rather then a massive 1.5" recoil pad but I guess it depends on the grade of gun and how much money you want to spend.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Ebony extension >1" - 03/08/17 10:05 PM
That is a serious extension. How much wood did you have to remove from the butt to balance out what is a big piece of ebony?
I'm glad the gun fits you now, and you shoot it well. That said, down here at 5' 10", I'm happy NOT to have that kind of problem.
Use the gun in good health.
Will, I think the gun is a DMB, it was posted in an earlier thread.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Ebony extension >1" - 03/09/17 01:21 AM
Gentlemen, This is an E.C. Green O/U circa 1913. I am pleased to learn about the stock transplant idea, I was not aware it was an option. When done well it blends nicely with the checkering. I wonder how its strength compares to solid wood. This gun did not balance out exactly with that much extra wood, but Steve lightened both extension and buttstock as much as he could. I think it wound up an ounce or two heavier at 6-15.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com