doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mossyoakpenn Browning BSS, off face - 04/01/17 11:02 PM

I just got a Browning BSS and I don't really want to send it back to the seller because I like it. But, there is some play in the action from side to side but none up and down. I know this isn't good. Do the BSS's have anything built in to tighten up the action? What is worn causing the side to side play? Ive only really encountered up and down play. Who and how much will this cost to fix? Thanks.
Posted By: Little Creek Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/01/17 11:14 PM
If the lever is to the right or center even, It is likely wear to the hinge pin. It is definitely repairable but you may need to send it to a gunsmith as not all 'smiths would do the repair. I have had a couple older guns tightened by spray welding the hook and refitting the barrels to the face. It sounds hard, but isn't. I think I paid $90 (plus shipping) the last time I did this on a sxs. Probably most of the 'smiths taht are named by people on this board will do this type of work, all around the country. I've had this done by Cole Haugh in Indiana.
Posted By: GLS Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/01/17 11:19 PM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...nt=5&page=1
Posted By: mossyoakpenn Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/02/17 07:14 PM

Thanks GLS! That pretty much sums up everything I was after.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/02/17 09:40 PM
I thought the BSS was one of those guns that were pretty much impossible to shoot off face...how many rounds through it do you figure?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/02/17 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
I thought the BSS was one of those guns that were pretty much impossible to shoot off face...how many rounds through it do you figure?

ANY gun that hinges is susceptible to go off the face. The only guns I know of that are impervious to the malady is Hoenigs rotary round and a Darne. There might be other designs out there, I'm not familiar enough with Charlin or a Collath to include them.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/03/17 12:02 AM
I've seen a Charlin or two that had sloppy actions. The "Hinge Pin", although it is not a hinge pin, is located at the base of the opening lever, and is an interference fit that also has a set screw on it.
One example had a fair amount of slop, or, play, in the opening lever in the closed position, but, would not open when fired. Well engineered, but, not immune to wear on the pin.
The fix would likely be much easier than on a conventional double, bore the opening lever for a new pin tight enough to maintain an interference fit again.

No pin in a Darne, or, a Hoenig. No ejectors or single triggers in a Hoenig, as the builder doesn't believe in either.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: GLS Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/03/17 01:48 PM
In the not a pump nor auto category, there is one other shotgun that never becomes "off face". The beautiful, exquisite Mossberg bolt action. wink Gil
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Browning BSS, off face - 04/03/17 02:09 PM
As the barrel on the "Mossberg" threads into the receiver the barrel of course isn't going to move. Bolt actions can, & do, develop excess headspace which is essentially the same thing as being Off Face. The barrel of course isn't going to shake, can normally only be told by use of headspace gages.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com