doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Berrien Moore Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 02:48 PM
I have a very heavy duty aluminum gun case. It is at least 30 years old. In addition to the normal padlock locking/security system, it has a rather unique feature: corner threaded bolts that help secure the system’s closure. I have unfortunately discovered that I have lost the tool that is used to screw the bolts. I have tried to locate the cases on the internet—to find if the manufacture is still in business. Any suggestions? A rather dumb predicament.

At least it is not locked closed

Thanks

Berrien Moore
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 02:55 PM
Who built it?

We'll also start looking for this tool.
Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 03:00 PM
There are no markings/signage on the case. For some reason, I think it was made in California and maybe even tribal built--but that recollection has no bases in fact.

The tool is somewhat like the tool for changing threade chokes.

Thanks!

Berrien

Posted By: dogon Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 03:29 PM
Could you show a picture of the bolt/screw head that needs to be removed? Maybe we can give you suggestions of where to purchase the tool or have one made. The tool may be commercially available from a tool vendor.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 03:37 PM
Quote:
I think it was made in California and maybe even tribal built-

Tribal? If it's Kalispel, they have been out of the case business for maybe 10 years or so. But there was another company that started building aluminum cases on the Kalispel model, maybe under license. Don't remember their name, but Google is your friend.

https://www.exploreproducts.com/kalispelcasefeatures.htm
Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 03:46 PM
Replacement--

I had looked at Kalispel, but no luck. However, thank you

Berrien
Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 03:47 PM
Dogon

Please send me your email and I will send photographs and maybe you could post them. Since Photobucket went rouge, I have lost the ability to post photos here.

Thanks

Berrien
Tribal built would seem to point to K&K. I have one, was sold with a duffel that hides the case in the bottom.
Mine is serviceable, and, nothing more. I wouldn't be in a hurry to put any money into it.
Send a photo or two via email, and I'll get them up for you. My email is in my profile.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/02/17 11:27 PM
I have the same KK case/duffle combo, used it quite a few times from NY to AZ and back but not in 10 years. With airline fees these days it's cheaper to ship a long gun by the USPS now and probably safer...
Mine doesn't require a special tool though, just 2 padlocks as I remember.

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Tribal built would seem to point to K&K. I have one, was sold with a duffel that hides the case in the bottom.
Mine is serviceable, and, nothing more. I wouldn't be in a hurry to put any money into it.
Send a photo or two via email, and I'll get them up for you. My email is in my profile.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: dogon Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/03/17 02:02 AM
Berrien sent me a picture of what he is dealing with. It's a tubular lock like you find on vending machines. There's a pile of YouTube videos showing how to pick these type locks and how to make new keys for them. I imagine most locksmiths could make a new key for a reasonable cost.
Posted By: Berrien Moore Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/03/17 05:41 AM
Thanks all--I think Dogon has suggested a reasonable path forward.

Best and again thanks--
Berrien
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Aluminum gun case--dumb situation - 12/03/17 01:51 PM
Should be no trouble for a competent locksmith.
About $30.00 around here for a handcut key to fit.
They look it up, and away they go.

There aren't hundreds of lock making companies. They publish their info for just such purposes.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com