doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: two16s Davidson 63b need info - 12/10/17 11:37 AM
Was scouting a local pawnshop and came across a Davidson 63b 12g with 28" barrels M/F and D/T. All screws still timed. Barrels were stamped made in Spain. Overall condition was very good. Seemed to be very well made with Greener crossbolt, side clips, bushed pins. Metal to metal and wood to wood fit outstanding. On face very tight levER to right. Wood was not fancy for sure. Looking for something to use in bad weather and bust some clays. Oh, and it fit fairly well. I heard some of the Spanish guns were not of good quality with some soft steel, is this one of them? This could be had for around $300.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Davidson 63b need info - 12/10/17 02:20 PM
A quick Google search will tell you quite a bit about this gun, a modest Spanish boxlock.
The proofs on barrel and action flats will also tell you or us, if photos are posted.
The market for undistinguished 12 gauge Spanish boxlocks a is very soft, so $300 is about tops for this gun.
If you like the gun, and it works as it is supposed to, you could have fun with little invested, but not expect to make money on it down the road.
Posted By: volleyfire Re: Davidson 63b need info - 12/10/17 07:01 PM
Look up your item on the ShotgunWorld Spanish gun forum. You will see that it is very likely an Ilja. Look for the initials in the oval. We would always like to know if there was another maker.
Posted By: vabirddog Re: Davidson 63b need info - 12/11/17 04:11 PM
I have a Davidson 28. I really like the gun ,scaled, nice and petite in the hands. I think mechanically they are solid guns. Many of this type Spanish mfg are well made but the wood on them was light and generally straight grained and prone to cracks in the larger gauges. Not many sold and only for a short run I think. The couple I've seen were good utility shotguns and lighter than their American counterparts. Not unlike Laurona shotguns from the period if you are familiar with those. ymmv. Davidson sporting goods of Greensboro NC was the importer. They are still in bus. Moved to Az and not marketing their own brands anymore. I do not recall seeing side clips on any might check the model/grade.
Posted By: KFC Re: Davidson 63b need info - 12/11/17 06:29 PM
Purchased a 20 ga. 63B from Davidson's, mid-60's and I still use it. Never had any mechanical problems. As noted above the wood is light and the finish is subject to flaking, otherwise they have proved to be very enduring.
Posted By: two16s Re: Davidson 63b need info - 12/12/17 01:45 AM
Thanks all for the info. Sounds like it should make a solid reliable shooter for low dollars. I will go by the shop on the way home tomorrow and pick it up assuming it's still there.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com