doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 992B Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/15/18 09:55 PM
One of the first things I learned about double guns, probably from reading McIntosh, was to remove the barrels and suspend them, and if the soldering is sound, they'll ring like a chime when flicked with a fingernail.

Then, a few years ago I bought an early "pin" side Sterlingworth, in such good condition the barrels would ring when the gun was closed. A few guns later, and a 1907 OO Grade L.C. Smith came my way, that rang the barrels even louder when closed. Finally, I lucked into a TriStar 411 28 gauge made by Luciano Rota, and it rings like a chuch bell when closed, and even when you work the safety. I also once owned an humble Stevens 311 that would make a ring, when the action was closed.

I was wondering, if the barrels setting up a chime like a bell when the gun is closed, is a sign of quality, something the makers intended, or does this only happen with a few chance and random guns?

It sure sounds pretty, if you have one that rings when it closes.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/15/18 10:02 PM
Ringing like a bell was a method some use to evaluate the soundness of the barrels. It is quick, easy but not perfect. I've seen more than a few barrels which did not ring but had tight ribs and a lot which had loose ribs. If a set of barrels don't ring I spend more time making sure ribs are tight. Sometimes you will quickly spot a loose area of rib and sometimes none exist even under water.
From the SxS I owned and there were quite a few none of the barrels sounded like "church bell" when suspended by "lump" or it it "lug" (the thingy that serves as attachment for for end) and stroked with fingernail. The two A.H.Fox guns made distinct sound when closed. The one that had wonderful chime-like sound when stroked was 28" barrel of Winchester Featherweight 12. I assumed it was due to light barrel contour of good length. Never did understand what MaCintosh was talking about when he mentioned
"church bells". I read that one should should shake barrels of Model 21 before buying. Sand-like sound would indicate rust between them barrels. Not sure if it that is true or if it was written by someone who didn't give a damn for Model 21 or Winchester.
Posted By: 992B Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/15/18 10:17 PM
I think every double gun I own, has barrels that will ring when removed from the gun, except one old damascus barreled L.C. Smith that has the bottom rib held to the barrels using screws. They are supposed to ring, when removed from the action and held by a string, or suspended on your thumb. All my over and under shotguns have barrels that will chime, while off the gun.

Only a very few of my doubles make that same bell like chime when they are closed, and still on the gun.

My latest V. Bernardelli makes a faint ring when closed, but it's not remotely as loud, nor as long, as the chime that my Luciano Rota TriStar import sets up when it's closed, or even when working the safety.

I suppose that for the barrels to ring like a church bell when closed, not only do the barrels have to be perfectly actioned up, but the forend and stock have to be solidly mounted, as well.

Very few doubles of mine will sound a chime when they are closed, and even fewer chime when the safety is worked.

I wonder if those hundred thousand dollar best guns, are made to chime when they are closed, the same as my poor old TriStar Rota does so well, and so loudly?

Posted By: Der Ami Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/15/18 10:26 PM
To determine if the ribs are solid, take the barrels off and tap along the ribs with some object(I use a pocket knife because it is handy), any loose spots will sound "hollow".
Mike
992B,

I have a Rizzini O/U that will loudly ring when snapped closed. I've always found it odd. I'll be interested to see if anyone has an answer as to why this occurs...
Posted By: tut Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/15/18 10:40 PM
To me as uneducated as I am, the sound should be like a set of wind chimes if the ribs are tight. Some say a tuning fork sound. I've certainly heard more then a few that go "clunk" when you tap them. That said, if you have ejectors that are extended sometimes they don't ring and they are still right.
All my sxs ring. Was told to check to ensure nothing was loose with rib or solder if you have a old Browning A5 let the action slam shut it will ring like a bell. Pretty cool!
I've got one set that sounds like the chorus of Westminster Abbey Evensong.................but it's an English gun, of course.

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/16/18 01:39 AM
barrel ringing is no substitute for close inspection with a magnifying loop...and michael mcintosh was a talented writer whose style is missed...
Posted By: Alder adder Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/16/18 01:40 AM
B. Rizzini o/us (at least the two that I have shot) ring when you fire them.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/16/18 05:08 PM
If a set of barrels do not ring to your satisfaction I suggest you remove the extractors/ejectors and retry. On occasion I have found they deaden the barrels. Ribs might be perfectly fine. If that doesn't do it then a much closer examination is in order.
Alder:

My Rizzini Marcheno 20 gauge does the same thing. It's the only shotgun I have that does that. Occasionally disconcerting, but not otherwise a problem.

Rem
Posted By: Alder adder Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/16/18 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Alder:

My Rizzini Marcheno 20 gauge does the same thing. It's the only shotgun I have that does that. Occasionally disconcerting, but not otherwise a problem.

Rem

I have been shooting mine (20 gauge Sig import) for 18 years and like you say, no problems.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/16/18 09:16 PM
Talk about disconcerting, I have a Parker VH that rings loudly when I shoot it!
I have a little F.A.I.R. 702 that rings when I clos the action.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/16/18 11:12 PM
My Sig/Rizzini TR20U rings when it’s closed and when it’s fired. None of my other Rizzinis have that little quirk-phenomenon.

Forged receivers on M-14 or M1A rifles ring when the bolt is released, the cast receivers just sort of clunk shut.
I've never heard a shotgun ring when I shot it, or when I closed it. Maybe I'm so hard of hearing I just don't hear what's really there. But, I don't think so.

Wait.............. I'm wrong. When I first started reloading shotgun shells I used too much Red Dot in some loads and my old 1100 would ring after every shot. I figured out my loading error and stopped that.

As long as they go BANG! I don't mind if they don't RING!.

SRH
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Ringing barrels when closing the gun - 01/17/18 05:32 PM
I've had a couple that wouldn't ring until the extractor [or ejectors] were removed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com