doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RedofTx An almost matched pair - 09/24/18 09:59 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: An almost matched pair - 09/24/18 10:02 PM
Thanks
Posted By: RedofTx Re: An almost matched pair - 09/24/18 10:05 PM
I still believe 132034 has a 2nd set of barrels out there somewhere as per the "1" below the serial #.
Posted By: susjwp Re: An almost matched pair - 09/25/18 08:05 PM
Nice guns. Remington made some of the nicest of the era. I just saw a damascus C at a gun show in NY, had the Etoile pattern, 127 range sn, but in not as nice condition as the above. It was gone when I went back to the vendor.

good luck
Posted By: canvasback Re: An almost matched pair - 09/25/18 09:26 PM
Nice guns. I have two BE I'm not quite ready to post pics of yet but am working on. Both are 30" Damascus.

One I am making some small adjustments to the chokes to make it my go to skeet gun. It comes up and fits me better than any gun I have. And the other is being restocked as the original was beyond repair.
Posted By: RedofTx Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 12:56 PM
thank you.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 01:40 PM
A nice looking "pair" RT!! But now, as this board is great for, I need a bit of education this morning. Will someone please explain to me the difference between a "live bird gun" and a "field gun." I realize this may be elementary to many here, but I have heard it and just never asked before and have no idea what the difference(s) is (are). Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 01:50 PM
Perry,
"Live bird gun" possibly another name for a Pigeon gun, meant for shooting in the pigeon ring. Generally built heavier to digest heavy target loads.
Karl
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 01:57 PM
Thanks Karl. After seeing you answer I remembered hearing about Pigeon guns and their characteristics. I might have eventually put two and two together.....but I doubt it!! This board never ceases to amaze me and provide me with a education on so many things that 61 years of shooting and owning shotguns never has!!

Now let me jump to RedoTx: Can you post any differences in the weight, etc of your pair? Thanks.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 02:38 PM
Nice discussion of "Live Bird" guns Perry
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24472
Posted By: RedofTx Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 04:54 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 07:40 PM
Guns used for Live Birds had to weigh less than 8 pounds at the 1894 GAH

Gun weights and loads at the First DuPont Grand Smokeless Championship Handicap Live-bird Tournament October 1895
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1895/VOL_26_NO_06/SL2606012.pdf

Sporting Life. John L. Lequin. secretary of the Interstate Association, writes us under date of Feb. 25, 1898 as follows:
“We have received inquiries from most all directions recently from a number of shooters who are probably desirous of entering the Grand American Handicap next month, concerning the weight of guns, and whether the handhold and recoil pad will be counted as a part of the gun when weighed. The subject has been placed before the Tournament Committee of the association, which committee has decided that the guns will be weighed naked.”

The Baker Gun Quarterly, Volume 5, No. 3, May 1900 had an article on the weight of Trap/Pigeon guns used by Capt. A.W. Money (8 pounds - Money used a Greener, Smith, and Parker), C.W. Budd (7 pounds 14 ounce Parker), H.D. Bates (winner of the 1900 GAH at Live Birds; 7 pounds 13 ounce Parker), R.O. Heikes (7 pounds 15 ounce Parker but after the GAH at Live Birds he went back to his Remington hammerless and won the 1900 [1st] GAH at Targets), J.S. Fanning (7 pounds 15 ounce Smith), W.R. Crosby (7 pounds 12 ounce Baker), and Col. A.G. Courtney (7 pounds 14 ounce Remington CEO).
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 08:41 PM
Wow!! When I said I wanted an education on live bird guns I guess I should have known from past experience here that I would get the definitive word on it from all you guys who know!! Thanks. Now, back to reading all the articles from links that have been sent!!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: An almost matched pair - 09/26/18 10:43 PM
Shooting live bird guns is a bit of am Irony.
What people want, and what they can hit with, are commonly not the same.

I shoot my 1894s quite well, but would shoot them even better, with far less drop at comb. They are great shotguns, it’s a shame they’re so old.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: An almost matched pair - 09/27/18 12:27 AM
It's pretty easy to build up a comb to where you want it. Not saying that you're this way, but far too many people don't want to disturb the "pristine lines" of a poorly stocked double, and because of it they suffer with something they cannot shoot worth a continental. Pretty is as pretty does. I'll do whatever it takes to get one to shoot where I want it to. If I can't without too much expense, it goes away.

I've been told that Brister would take a wood rasp to a pretty piece of wood in a second to make it shoot right. He was man after my own heart. I've built up combs with cardboard and duct tape to get the gun to pattern where I want it.

Life's too short to shoot a gun that doesn't shoot where you look.

SRH
Posted By: RedofTx Re: An almost matched pair - 09/27/18 02:00 AM
Thanks.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: An almost matched pair - 09/27/18 03:18 AM
I'm in Minnesota, far from my shotguns.
If I recall, they are all 2" plus dac, near 3 dah

Too much drop for good shooting

YMMV of course

Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: An almost matched pair - 10/01/18 03:06 PM
Thanks for that continuation Mr. Dillon. Have you shot these yet enough to make any determination as to which one you shoot best at identical targets? A 1/4 inch here and a 1/4 in there doesn't sound like a lot but I am just wondering if you can feel a noticeable difference or if you see it in the results of your shooting each gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com