doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dhanks My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/01/18 11:09 PM
Hi all,

I've been experimenting with various different SXSs this year. AYA, Tate, SIACE, M21, Beretta 486, and others. I absolutely love the styling and form of the SXS compared to the over-under. However, the one thing I do not like about the SXSs is the shooting them. I've had them fitted and they shoot where I am looking, but the feel, pointability, recoil, and sight picture are just wrong to me. I'm used to shooting competition over-unders and I understand that SXSs are a completely different beast.

I recently discovered how wonderful Perazzi shotguns are. My favorite is the MX8 platform. Such a beautiful shotgun and shoots like a dream with no recoil and very natural feeling in the hand. I didn't realize Perazzi also made SXSs until I seen the DC12 model. I had the opportunity to shoot a newer Perazzi DC12 DC3 recently and it was shocking how similar it was to the MX8. I had no idea I was shooting a SXS when using it at 5-stand and sporting clays. It felt, moved, and sight picture was identical to an over-under.

I really think the Winchester M21 was ahead of its time with the stepped rib, which gets your eyes out of the barrels. I believe the sight picture is my major problem with all traditional SXSs, followed by feel when mounted. The Winchester M21 and Perazzi DC12 brings up the rib so the sight picture looks just like an over-under. The M21 was also ahead of its time with its forend, which protected your left hand from the hot barrels. Trying to shoot a semi-beaver or splinter forend at competition or tournament is not really possible and very uncomfortable. The barrels become way too hot and very difficult to contend with. The M21 feel a bit short when it comes to the ergonomics of its stock, grip, and pointability.

The Perazzi DC12 solves all of the above problems in a lovely SXS configuration. The DC12 takes the stepped rib, full beaver tail forend, and adds the Perazzi stock with adjustable comb, pistol grip, and drop-out trigger group. I spent a day with the Perazzi DC12 and MX8 shooting them interchangeably between stations without having to worry about which one I am shooting. My scores didn't suffer a bit and both felt nearly identical. The only major difference is that the MX8 weights a little less than the DC12. My DC12 weights in at 8 pounds and 14 ounces. Shooting 1oz 1300fps FITASC loads had absolutely no recoil with the DC12.

I'm really happy that the Perazzi MX8 and DC12 use the exact same trigger group, springs, and firing pins. I can consolidate my maintenance parts for both platforms. Here are some shots of my Perazzi DC12. I'm very happy with it and I'm able to shoot it like there's no tomorrow, which I wasn't able to see with my other SXS adventures.

The engraving was done by Angelo Galeazzi's son, Fausto Galeazzi.

Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/01/18 11:10 PM

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/01/18 11:39 PM
Interesting posts and great pics.

I'm glad you have found the S x S that you can shoot better than all others. It's no doubt a very fine gun, built to last more than a lifetime, like the Perazzi O/Us. I'm a MX8 fan and shooter. I put more rounds through my 31 1/2" MX8 (stepped rib) in a year, at sporting clays, than all my other shotguns put together. But...................I don't have the problem you do with shooting S x S guns in other configurations than the DC12. I can actually shoot S x Ss very well, from time to time. Not because they have a stepped rib like my MX8, none do.

You said
Originally Posted By: dhanks
It felt, moved, and sight picture was identical to an over-under.

That is quite impossible, IMO. It may have felt and moved the same, but if the sight picture was the same it was because you were looking at the clay so hard you didn't notice the difference in the barrel structure.

I understand how hard it is to describe the "sight picture" when we see lead over the barrels of a double, whether superposed or S x S. But, that doesn't mean we are seeing the same thing. We aren't. It's just that we are focused so hard on what is important (the clay, or the bird) that we don't remember what the barrels looked like clearly. We just center them when we establish the lead. JMO, from my experience.

I'd really like to have the opportunity to shoot a 100 bird round with a DC12 to see if it was as wonderful for me as it was for you, but I also have to wonder if the cost would justify the end.

All my best, SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/01/18 11:47 PM
Nice gun. Amazing what $25K will buy.
JR
Posted By: Buzz Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 12:12 AM
That’s a sweet gun. 32” barrels? A friend of mine has the same gun, an SC3 with a different SC3 engraving pattern but with the same stepped rib. I personally like your gun’s engraving better, your gun having my favorite SC3 pattern. My buddy let me shoot his gun and what a treat. You have a very fine gun there.
Posted By: eeb Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 01:47 AM
I bought the plain jane version of your gun this summer. Fixed chokes, flat rib, and conventional,albeit, high stock. It weighs 8.5 lbs and swings a lot like a #2 frame Parker. It would not be be mistaken for an O/U. Wonderful trigger. I’m convinced the lock up will never shoot loose. It’s given me a lot of enjoyment so far.
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Interesting posts and great pics.

I'm glad you have found the S x S that you can shoot better than all others. It's no doubt a very fine gun, built to last more than a lifetime, like the Perazzi O/Us. I'm a MX8 fan and shooter. I put more rounds through my 31 1/2" MX8 (stepped rib) in a year, at sporting clays, than all my other shotguns put together. But...................I don't have the problem you do with shooting S x S guns in other configurations than the DC12. I can actually shoot S x Ss very well, from time to time. Not because they have a stepped rib like my MX8, none do.

You said
It felt, moved, and sight picture was identical to an over-under.

That is quite impossible, IMO. It may have felt and moved the same, but if the sight picture was the same it was because you were looking at the clay so hard you didn't notice the difference in the barrel structure.

I understand how hard it is to describe the "sight picture" when we see lead over the barrels of a double, whether superposed or S x S. But, that doesn't mean we are seeing the same thing. We aren't. It's just that we are focused so hard on what is important (the clay, or the bird) that we don't remember what the barrels looked like clearly. We just center them when we establish the lead. JMO, from my experience.

I'd really like to have the opportunity to shoot a 100 bird round with a DC12 to see if it was as wonderful for me as it was for you, but I also have to wonder if the cost would justify the end.

All my best, SRH

Thanks, Stan. The sight picture I am describing isn't impossible and isn't because I'm focusing so hard on the bird. The DC12 stepped rib (and the M21 stepped rib as the same phenomenon) has a near identical sight picture as my MX8 11x7mm flat rib. All I can see in my peripheral vision is the stepped rib/tower, no double barrels at all. I hope you get the opportunity to try a stepped rib on a SXS, I found it quite amazing experience.
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: buzz
That’s a sweet gun. 32” barrels? A friend of mine has the same gun, an SC3 with a different SC3 engraving pattern but with the same stepped rib. I personally like your gun’s engraving better, your gun having my favorite SC3 pattern. My buddy let me shoot his gun and what a treat. You have a very fine gun there.

Yes these are 32" barrels. My favorite pattern as well. Very cool that you were able to shoot one as well.
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 01:56 AM
Originally Posted By: eeb
I bought the plain jane version of your gun this summer. Fixed chokes, flat rib, and conventional,albeit, high stock. It weighs 8.5 lbs and swings a lot like a #2 frame Parker. It would not be be mistaken for an O/U. Wonderful trigger. I’m convinced the lock up will never shoot loose. It’s given me a lot of enjoyment so far.

Very cool. Nothing wrong with the plain jane version at all. They are very well priced with no options. I believe they can be had for around $11K?

Why did you choose to get a flat rib instead of the stepped given it's a SXS?

I agree with you on the triggers. The MX8 trigger group in the DC12 is amazing.
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
JR

I agree. I've bought 2-3 SXS before, all of them totaling well above $25K. I wish I had just bought the DC12 from the beginning and I would have saved a lot of money. For me and my shooting style (competition only) I find that the DC12 is 5x the gun as any of the SIACE, AYA, M21, and others I've previously owned.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 03:23 AM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
JR

I agree. I've bought 2-3 SXS before, all of them totaling well above $25K. I wish I had just bought the DC12 from the beginning and I would have saved a lot of money. For me and my shooting style (competition only) I find that the DC12 is 5x the gun as any of the SIACE, AYA, M21, and others I've previously owned.

Don't doubt that in the least. If you shoot in any events in the Mississippi area next season, I would like to hook up and run a few shells through it.
JR
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 11:13 AM
There was a Perazzi SxS that floated between owners in and around Mississippi...

I think I recall seeing it a Thad Scotts it had a pretty bad reputation mechanical wise I heard tell.
Posted By: eeb Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: eeb

Very cool. Nothing wrong with the plain jane version at all. They are very well priced with no options. I believe they can be had for around $11K?

Why did you choose to get a flat rib instead of the stepped given it's a SXS?

I agree with you on the triggers. The MX8 trigger group in the DC12 is amazing.

I bought the gun used.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 04:27 PM
I haven't paid attention. When did Winchester begin putting step ribs on the M21?
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
There was a Perazzi SxS that floated between owners in and around Mississippi...

I think I recall seeing it a Thad Scotts it had a pretty bad reputation mechanical wise I heard tell.

The DC12 is mechanically an MX8 because it uses the same trigger group. No mechanical issues besides breaking a spring every 10K to 15K shells, which can be replaced within two minutes in the field. If you aren't interested in the leaf spring trigger, they offer a coil-spring trigger group which will last substantially longer.

The only other competition-quality comparison would be to a K80 which is more complicated design and doesn't have field replaceable springs. Krieghoff recommends that the K80 be sent in for annual maintenance. It's a give and take from Perazzi vs. Krieghoff. I prefer the simplicity of the MX8 trigger group that's field repairable vs. annual maintenance of Krieghoff. Sort of a moot point, because Krieghoff doesn't make a SXS based on the K80 trigger.
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/02/18 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Ithaca5E
I haven't paid attention. When did Winchester begin putting step ribs on the M21?

I think Winchester called them vented ribs, not quite as high as stepped. Much better than concave ribs where your eye is below the barrels in a valley.

Posted By: 2-piper Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/03/18 12:03 AM
When you say Concave are you referring to a swamped rib. There is a major difference between a concave & a swamped rib. I have had several guns with concave ribs. Never had a swamped rib, though I always wanted to try one.
As I was always a hunter rather than a clays shooter, the standard SxS configuration is my Favorite & can use either a flat or concave rib with no discernable difference. Don't want no rib stuck up on stilts looking like a trestle bridge. I also prefer two triggers on a two barrel gun. As a matter of fact, I'm so ate up with Old Fashioned I even prefer an auto-safe.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/03/18 02:34 AM
As to ribs, what is, what you refer to as, the "standard S x S configuration"? I've never heard of such.

SRH
Posted By: 2-piper Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/03/18 01:23 PM
Stan;
Yes, there truly is no "Standard". What I was referring to was a straight, non ventilated or elevated rib. It could be either flat or concave in cross-section & either solid or hollow. One of these will be found on the vast majority of Field & Marsh doubles, so that was my meaning of the word standard.
Posted By: LeatherWoodSteel Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/03/18 07:01 PM
No doubt, that is a gorgeous shotgun and Perazzi, of which I have owned a couple, is an outstanding maker. But I’m not sure I see the point in it. It reminds me of the in-line muzzleloaders with stainless steel barrels, plastic stocks and a scope. When I compete, I have a dedicated shotgun for it. When I’m shooting side by sides, I’m doing it for the tradition, a connection to the past.
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/03/18 10:48 PM
Perazzi also will make the DC 12 with a straight grip, open Purdey grip, or a Woodward style grip. And you can even get double triggers and automatic safety.
Posted By: Buzz Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/03/18 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: LeatherWoodSteel
No doubt, that is a gorgeous shotgun and Perazzi, of which I have owned a couple, is an outstanding maker. But I’m not sure I see the point in it. It reminds me of the in-line muzzleloaders with stainless steel barrels, plastic stocks and a scope. When I compete, I have a dedicated shotgun for it. When I’m shooting side by sides, I’m doing it for the tradition, a connection to the past.
The point is, the original poster has a high quality competition shotgun, simple as that. That gun is not made for beating the brush, it’s a pure competition tool and a very fine one at that. There are btw, dedicated SxS competition shoots now.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/04/18 03:22 AM
I got gun envy for sure.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/04/18 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

I remember those guns. I think they were designated as the DC1. Those were game guns, not made for target duty.
JR
Posted By: eeb Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/04/18 03:16 PM
Actually, the DC1 and the DC12 are nearly identical with the exception of the trigger groups. Both guns have the same dual barrel hooks and rear locking lugs. I had the opportunity recently to look closely at a DC1 made in 1966 and compare it to my DC12. I did not know what I was looking at as the seller had ID’d it as a DC12. I sent pictures to Giacomo and he confirmed that the design of the two guns was basically the same with the exception of the triggers. The DC12 trigger group is based on the MX8, but is not identical because the hammers are slightly different owing to the SxS vs OU configuration. The DC1 predates the MX series since it came out in 1964 and was discontinued in 1972. This was confirmed in Carl Lippards book. Perazzi made 284 DC1s if my memory is correct. The DC1 I looked at has a slightly swamped game rib, but sported a target buttstock and BT forend. I assumed these were not original to the gun. The gun came up nicely but has short barrels, choked .18/.24.
Posted By: eeb Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/04/18 03:30 PM
One other thing: the trigger group on the DC1 is not removable.

Edit: the poster below from Texas is correct about the DC1 trigger group. Some were removable and some were not. The one I recently examined was the 84th DC1 made. It’s trigger group is not removable. Sorry for the confusion. Ed
Posted By: mel5141 Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/06/18 11:12 PM
Well.......not wanting to wade into something I should leave alone.
But it is raining out my afternoon Dove shoot and I'm killing time at the computer....

I'll risk contributing my first hand knowledge of the earlier run of these guns. This is not in any way meant to contradict the Gentleman from Virginia posting above. Just simply my personal experience.....
While some of the very first SxS Perazzi guns were fixed trigger , a Large number of the @ 280+ had the detachable trigger group....
I had one during the 80's and early 90's. A well known American flyer shot, who spent considerable time on the Continent acquired mine from a French Count in the late 70's. The trigger group was very similar to the MX series guns but used hammers that were much lower, and the springs were V style , but not totally interchangeable with the O/U springs of the time.....I shot mine seriously at pigeons for a little over a year , both here, and abroad.
I handled and shot several others that belonged to friends and fellow competitors. The (then) young French shot,Guy Belensi used his to win the European Championship at Pigeons in the early 80's. The stately white haired Benito Pardini of Italy shot a similar piece as well (he was the uncle of Bruno Pardini , then Europe's most prolific winner). His gun as well had a removable trigger group.....
American Flyer and International Trap Champ, Francis Eisenlauer, of California shot one of the detachable trigger guns both here and abroad.
I sold mine to a flyer shooter originally from Pennsylvania, then living in Montana in the late 90's. I have not seen him nor the gun since....
More recently,I handled one of the original older ones owned by Cyril Adams that he traveled back to Italy with seeking to have Mauro re-barrel it with tubes more to his liking.....
Posted By: dhanks Re: My new Perazzi DC12 SC3 - 10/07/18 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: mel5141
Well.......not wanting to wade into something I should leave alone.
But it is raining out my afternoon Dove shoot and I'm killing time at the computer....

I'll risk contributing my first hand knowledge of the earlier run of these guns. This is not in any way meant to contradict the Gentleman from Virginia posting above. Just simply my personal experience.....
While some of the very first SxS Perazzi guns were fixed trigger , a Large number of the @ 280+ had the detachable trigger group....
I had one during the 80's and early 90's. A well known American flyer shot, who spent considerable time on the Continent acquired mine from a French Count in the late 70's. The trigger group was very similar to the MX series guns but used hammers that were much lower, and the springs were V style , but not totally interchangeable with the O/U springs of the time.....I shot mine seriously at pigeons for a little over a year , both here, and abroad.
I handled and shot several others that belonged to friends and fellow competitors. The (then) young French shot,Guy Belensi used his to win the European Championship at Pigeons in the early 80's. The stately white haired Benito Pardini of Italy shot a similar piece as well (he was the uncle of Bruno Pardini , then Europe's most prolific winner). His gun as well had a removable trigger group.....
American Flyer and International Trap Champ, Francis Eisenlauer, of California shot one of the detachable trigger guns both here and abroad.
I sold mine to a flyer shooter originally from Pennsylvania, then living in Montana in the late 90's. I have not seen him nor the gun since....
More recently,I handled one of the original older ones owned by Cyril Adams that he traveled back to Italy with seeking to have Mauro re-barrel it with tubes more to his liking.....

Good to see your Perazzi SXS worked so well and got the job done. I used my Perazzi DC12 today during a main event and won my class with it. I believe I had the only SXS on the course, everyone else used O/Us. Such a great SXS with no felt recoil. I could see how it could be a great pigeon gun with 1-1/4oz loads.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com