doublegunshop.com - home
Good Morning,

Who wears leather gloves while hunting and or shooting? I have recently purchased some buffalo hide gloves that I would like to use for the upcoming upland season. I do not know if they were chrome tanned or vegetable tanned. I have heard to stay away from chrome tanned leathers when purchasing a gun slip or holster but, was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with metal finishes while using leather gloves to shoot? Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses.

David
I don't wear leather hunting...If I was going to I'd check out some of the ones specified as leather shooting gloves... check out Orvis.
Russell Mocassin makes gun gloves, a short and a long model. I’ve been using the longer model all summer. A bit on the thick side. A friend has the short model, much better. I’d recommend those.
I use GI wool glove inserts
They keep the hands from being scratched up
and a bit warmer.
Mike

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...ts&_sacat=0

I like the brown ones best
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coyote-Brown-Military-Flexor-D-3A-Wool-Glove-Liners-USA-Made/131639698250?epid=1142060305&hash=item1ea656634a:m:mVGdOcIANS0W3J8Q-OfZ96w
I have had fine luck with the deer skin shooting gloves from Galzan.
I use Mizuni batting gloves, only ones thin enough for me, never a problem with the guns finish.
Like skeettx, I have been using GI wool glove inserts longer than 40 years. Also if it's raining when I'm walking in or out, I sling the gun, cover the action/scope with my jacket and slip one of the woll inserts over the muzzle. FWIW, a GI (tubular) wool scarf is worth it's weight in gold, it has many uses.
Mike
I use golf gloves. Mind you, I’m from Canada and it takes a lot to get my hands cold. Upland hunting, it rarely happens unless it’s wet.
I’ve never heard of leather gloves damaging guns, in fact, I thought they somewhat protected gun finish from human hand sweat/oil. I really like Orvis deer skin gloves for hunting. Buffalo hide gloves seem like they would be very thick and maybe too cumbersome for shooting gloves?
Like buzz, I never heard of that either. I use gloves mostly when I need camouflage, and then I use UnderArmour camo gloves. They fit very snug and have great tactile properties, IMO.

In Argentina for high volume dove shoots I carry a new pair of very thin leather shooting gloves that fit as snugly as my skin. They don't last long, but protect your fingers a lot during loading thousands of rounds. My trigger finger always wears a hole in it first, and when it gets big enough I just slice the end of it off and let the two joints of my trigger finger stick out.

When it's really cold duck hunting I use a muff that clips on the front of my waders to slip my hands in, one at the time. I just don't like thick, cold weather gloves.

Shooting clays? ..................Never!

SRH
I don't like wool gloves when in wet, snowy conditions. They do remove stock finish pretty effectively, though easily repaired with a rub down with new finish on a rag after the stock is well dried.
Hmmmm. Leather + grit = strop.

Leather gloves need to be kept clean as possible or you may "strop" off some finish.

DDA
In dry weather, I'll pull on a pair of glove liners or something like MechanixWear work gloves. When it's cold and wet, I go to thin (really thin) neoprene dive gloves.
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob
I use Mizuni batting gloves, only ones thin enough for me, never a problem with the guns finish.

I've done the same. I have large hands and sometimes it's tough to find my size.
I worry more about bug dope getting on the stock finish. Examples, when dove field shooting or when shooting clay targets and some one offers you the bug dope.
There's a problem with wool if you happen to be hunting in cover with burrs or anything else that will stick.

Until it gets cold, as in below freezing, I use golf gloves. They work pretty well. With my sxs, most of which have a splinter forend, I almost always wear a glove on at least my leading (left) hand. Protects the barrel blue from sweat etc.
Nitro,
I've seen what can happen when a person wearing bug spray on his face mounts his gun for an extended day of shooting. Nasty results!
Karl
I've seen 6-12 mosquito dope take the paint off the roof of a '61 Impala.

Remember this?

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/14485-6-12-insect-repellent

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com