doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ron Overberg 24 gauge help needed - 11/09/18 09:12 PM
I'm sure some of you have travelled this path and I could use your knowledge. What reloading press or tool modifications will I need to accomplish in order to reload for the 24 gauge? I have a 24 gauge manufactured in Japan by MY LUCK and have had a great time shooting it and hope to reload in the future. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Ron
Posted By: GLS Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/09/18 09:15 PM
If you choose to roll crimp, you can direct order from Italy the handcranked roll crimper from www.siarm.com

Gaep in Italy also has 24 ga. reloading equipment. They have a US distributor I believe. Gil
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/09/18 09:33 PM
I just sold my 24 gauge and reloading equipment last week. Here's how I loaded for it after purchasing the 24 gauge roll crimp head directly from GAEP. I also purchased a 28 gauge MEC Supersizer, opened the collet to size the 24 gauge head and mounted it on a plywood base that I C-clamped to my drill press table.

Step 1. I used a 20 gauge MEC Sizemaster to deprime, reprime, drop powder, insert wad and drop shot. I then placed the hull in a loading block that was either a 12 or 20 gauge MTM 50 shot block for their large cartridge carrier box. I also bought a 15mm arch punch to punch the overshot wad from thin cardboard like cereal or shot shell boxes or beer coasters.

Step 2. I aligned the Supersizer with the roll crimp head and used it as the vise to hold the hull for roll crimping. This sized the head at the same time.

It's slow but it works.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/09/18 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
I aligned the Supersizer with the roll crimp head and used it as the vise to hold the hull for roll crimping. This sized the head at the same time.

Bob is spot on with this advice.

Using a SuperSizer is a great help when loading oddball stuff. I first used one for hand loading and roll crimping 2 7/8" 10 ga. shells. Over time I have added various collets for the different gauges. I also found that using the SuperSizer, bolted to my drill press table, eliminates having to buy a shell holding device to do this. Now, I'm using it to roll crimp 3" .410 nickel plated shot loads.

SRH
Posted By: Ron Overberg Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/09/18 10:08 PM
Thank you for the help. The sight looks great.
Ron
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/09/18 11:37 PM
I shoot the shot shells in the same gun that I shot them in and have not had a problem with the brass. I prime them in a lee load modified to fit and roll crimp them with a gaep 24 ga crimper. I have a press from I think Siarm that has a cone style head that holds different gauges and you can push the head into the crimper head that is also interchangeable with screw head and hand crank.
Posted By: Replacement Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/10/18 12:03 AM
Quote:
I have a 24 gauge manufactured in Japan by MY LUCK

That's a Miroku, and I'd like to see some pics of the gun.
Posted By: Ron Overberg Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/10/18 12:54 AM

Replacement,
I used the name on the rib wondering if anyone would know it was a very early Miroku. I have never posted pictures on the web outside of an email. If you email me at rover533.ro@gmail.com I'll take a few pictures and try to send them along.

Ron
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/10/18 09:55 PM
I have two 24 gauges and I just buy the shells

JOhn Boyd
Quality Arms
Posted By: skeettx Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/10/18 10:34 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002142115/fiocchi-field-load-ammunition-24-gauge-2-1-2-11-16-oz

$7.50 a box for #8 is a DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Ron Overberg Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/10/18 10:54 PM
Thank you for all the helpful information. Skeettex, I have ordered shells at Midway. What a great price. I'll do a little clays shooting and try to reload later. I hope to find a load for next years trip to SD. I will try to find a load for #5 shot. This will be a fun adventure.
Ron
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/10/18 11:01 PM
I believe Mag Tech sells all brass unloaded 24 ga shells. Not too expensive as I recall.
Posted By: skeettx Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/11/18 01:11 AM
Yes, Mag Tech, I use them for my 577-450 and Sniders smile
Posted By: tw Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/11/18 03:10 AM
I've a friend that loads both 24 & 32 ga. Spoke w/him this afternoon specifically because of this thread before responding. He uses two of the older Texan/Sovereign single stage loaders, DP2's(?)made prior to the FW's and had them converted w/the aid of some judicious fabrication and machine shop work. Uses mostly star crimps and 800X powder. He has the roll crimp tools as well, but said they were not available when he had those presses modified. Said that he preferred the Cheddite hulls to the Fiocchi's because of the amount of plastic that is folded over the base wad before the head is crimped on during manufacture.

Just thot to pass it along, should it prove of value to your inquiry.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: 24 gauge help needed - 11/13/18 09:10 PM
Only five boxes left it says. Ought to pick them up just for the empties. wink you can never have too many empties.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com