doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/21/19 07:09 PM
Kind of a rare piece of reference material, would anyone here have one? I have some interest in a gun sold out of the auction. Any help would be appreciated.
Steve
Posted By: eightbore Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/21/19 07:53 PM
I'm not giving up my original, but I'll tell you what you want to know if you PM me. Oh, I forgot, my log in has changed and I have no idea what my password is now. Why not ask on this thread? What do you want to know?
Posted By: SKB Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/21/19 08:02 PM
John Amber owned several Gibbs Farquharson rifles. The one I am interested in is the Selous sideplated gun(I believe he only owned one of those), Description and sale price is of interest. Thank you,
Steve
Posted By: eightbore Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/21/19 08:20 PM
You have my attention. I'll go on the hunt.
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/21/19 11:56 PM
Hi Steve, my brother in the 1970's owned a .461 or .450 (can't remember which) Gibbs Farquharson with Selous sideplates that he bought from Gary Herman of Safari Outfitters. It was bought unfinished (needed some small internal parts and a mainspring) he finished it and later sold it. It was in almost unfired condition. He sold it in the mid 70's. I wonder if it is the same rifle. Gary Herman said it was made for Selous, who never picked it up (but who knows?)
Posted By: SKB Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/22/19 12:43 AM
Do you know the apun?
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/22/19 11:37 AM
Hi Steve, no I don't have the number or any pictures. I will ask my brother if he has any pictures or information. In over 40 years of collecting it was the only one I ever saw!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/23/19 03:53 PM
Steve, the Amber Selous gun is #300 in the auction, sold for $5000, don't remember if there was a buyer's premium. They probably came a bit later. Luckily the catalog is easy to find in 15 feet or auction catalog shelf space, because it is not black. When I moved in September of 2018, I cannibalized my auction catalog collection down the only what I "think I need". As you know, it is probably the greatest gun auction ever held in the US. The Selous plates on this gun are the best I've ever seen, extend completely over the grip from the action all the way to 1/3 of the way down the stock. By the way, the "Tokyo Treasure" from the 1954 Gun Digest sold for $14,000, probably because of the Gun Digest connection. That is as far as I got on my Gibbs search. Let me know if you need any more information. I think the auction brought 1.2 million. Today, in this depressed market, probably 1.2 mil in Amber guns could be held in your hands.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/23/19 03:55 PM
Description to follow.
Posted By: SKB Re: Catalog from the John Amber Auction? - 03/23/19 11:23 PM
Thanks Bill!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com