doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Steve Lawson Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 02:22 PM
Is there any market for issues of this publication? I have a issues from Spring 2003 through winter of 2005. Also have several past issues of shooting sportsman.

thanks.
Posted By: keith Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 04:06 PM
If you do a search for them on E-bay, you will see them being sold all the time. Right now, one guy has a listing for his DGJ collection in the For Sale forum here.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 06:18 PM
It has been my observation over the last 10 years that the market and demand for DGJ's has lessened greatly. I have seen DGJ complete collections (excluding the original issue) sell for only a few hundred dollars--I do not remember the exact price but it was between $300.00 to $400.00. I recall one of my shooting club members telling me that he cut all the articles from his DGJ collection and trashed the remainder, I would have at least given them away.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 06:25 PM
I have the complete set from #1. Taking up a lot of space and seldom ever look at them. Trashed my complete set of Shooting Sportsman magazines some time back.....
Posted By: topgun Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 07:34 PM
I have a complete set from an original signed copy of Volume I, Issue I to include slipcases. These things take up more shelf space that I presently have for display, but I suppose I'll keep the collection intact. Whenever I write I receive several additional writer's copies, which I always give away. For whatever its worth, in the early days of the DGJ a novice like me saw pictures of guns he never knew existed and found the magazine much more exciting/enjoyable/entertaining/educational than I do nowadays; so looked forward to each issue and would read same from cover to cover. It's not as interesting now, most likely because I've become a bit jaded with age. But I still write occasionally whenever I come across an unusual gun or story of interest, and do so because 1) I see (others may not) the information I've learned as information the collectors fraternity will or should want to know; and 2) I'm 70 now and if I don't make this information public it likely dies with me. For instance, in researching my latest DGJ article I learned that the second A3 Grade 20-bore two barrel set actually exists and was NOT destroyed in a fire as was rumored. This is great information for collector fraternity because a fake LC represented as the original has circulated for years as the "restored" original A3. The last I heard (and this was prior to the article being published) was that this fake A3 had sold for $105K at a large mid-western gun show. I suspect whoever purchased this gun will be real unhappy when it's revealed that his gun is worth just a fraction of what he paid; but to protect the integrity of the collector's fraternity this fake needed to be exposed for what it really is. And although the DGJ may no longer hold the same appeal to many of us old timers, it has been an invaluable resource to the collector's fraternity and my hope is that it continues to exist for years to come.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 07:55 PM
I have just about all of them, most in slip cases. Missing 3 issues from the first 2 years. I rarely look at them now but I do like having them for reference.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/07/20 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: topgun
I have a complete set from an original signed copy of Volume I, Issue I to include slipcases. These things take up more shelf space that I presently have for display, but I suppose I'll keep the collection intact. Whenever I write I receive several additional writer's copies, which I always give away. For whatever its worth, in the early days of the DGJ a novice like me saw pictures of guns he never knew existed and found the magazine much more exciting/enjoyable/entertaining/educational than I do nowadays; so looked forward to each issue and would read same from cover to cover. It's not as interesting now, most likely because I've become a bit jaded with age. But I still write occasionally whenever I come across an unusual gun or story of interest, and do so because 1) I see (others may not) the information I've learned as information the collectors fraternity will or should want to know; and 2) I'm 70 now and if I don't make this information public it likely dies with me. For instance, in researching my latest DGJ article I learned that the second A3 Grade 20-bore two barrel set actually exists and was NOT destroyed in a fire as was rumored. This is great information for collector fraternity because a fake LC represented as the original has circulated for years as the "restored" original A3. The last I heard (and this was prior to the article being published) was that this fake A3 had sold for $105K at a large mid-western gun show. I suspect whoever purchased this gun will be real unhappy when it's revealed that his gun is worth just a fraction of what he paid; but to protect the integrity of the collector's fraternity this fake needed to be exposed for what it really is. And although the DGJ may no longer hold the same appeal to many of us old timers, it has been an invaluable resource to the collector's fraternity and my hope is that it continues to exist for years to come.

Tom;
Your referenced above article and the story of the fake was of much interest to me when I read it last month. Of significant interest to me, however was the engraving of the pictured A3. The talent of the engraver(whoever it was) was of several levels higher than the typical American engraver of the time frame of the gun.

I keep my DGJ's for reference as well and will pass them on to my grandson.
Posted By: topgun Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/08/20 12:16 AM
BV
Albert Kraus was head of Hunter's engraving shop in 1909 when this gun was produced; and although he may not have cut every line, he certainly did the majority of the work we see. Mr. Kraus was an undisputed master of his craft, but functioning also as department head, he was also responsible for insuring all members of his staff received enough hours each week to make a living. The result was that one worker might be assigned frame filing/sculpting, another border lines, and so forth according to individual skill levels which is why we do not see Smith guns (I've seen some engraving time/pay slips from the 30's; rates ranged from $.10-.30/hour) signed by A.E. Kraus (I hear rumors, but haven't seen an authentic piece). Early Smith guns inscribed Glahn S.C. do exist; but Kraus's master apprentice Charles Jarred, Jr. did not sign his work either in following the tradition of his master (Jerred did, however, place his engraver's mark, his initials "CHJ" disguised as scroll, on some Ruger pistols he engraved for Strum Ruger long after the Smith gun works had closed; and he did inlay those same initials on his personal Smith gun that he never completed). I've seen detailed photos of the recently discovered second A-3 20-bore and the style and quality of the engraving on that gun is identical to the engraving seen on the A-3 in the article. I'm too dumb to post pics here, but if you wish to send an email to tomarcher@charter.net I'll be happy to forward photos of the engraving on the fake gun along with those of the authentic gun for comparison purposes. Best, Tom
Posted By: bushveld Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/08/20 12:47 AM
Tom;

I am going to send you an email just now.

Stephen
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/08/20 01:34 AM
I have three Issue No. Ones in their original brown paper mailers, never opened, for $100 each if anyone's interested. On topic, but I will move to classified if it matters.
JR
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Double Gun Journal - 01/10/20 06:12 PM
About 10 years ago I sold a complete set for about $900-$1000, can't come close to that now, even with more issues.
Posted By: Olgrouser Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/07/20 06:15 PM
Have been offered a full set of 121 issues. What does a full set in excellent condition go for in today's market?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/07/20 06:48 PM
On the Reilly line, I corresponded with Dereck.Stimpson, the honorary archivist of the Worshipful Company of Gunmakers about JC and EM Reilly. He mentioned that he had a pair of Reilly hammer ejector gunss 30394 and 30395 which were described in "Double Gun Journal." Vol 19, Issue 3, Autumn 2008. If anyone has that issue, wonder if you could forward a copy of the article. Christies sold Reilly 30394 (allegedly) in 1995, but now I doubt Christies descriptions. Many thanks for any help. Gene
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 11:39 AM
I wrote for Dan early on. Haven't done anything in a long time. DGJ was just getting started about the time the first edition of my pheasant hunting book was published. Iowa State University Press was the publisher, and they didn't really know how to promote a hunting book. I basically traded ad space in DGJ for my articles. There were only about 300 of the hard cover books (something over 1,000 paperback), and I think I sold over half of them--signed and numbered--via those DGJ ads. Worked out pretty well for me. Those hardback first editions are now pretty rare on the used book market . . . but the second (revised) edition, which I did 10 years later, is a much better book.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 03:49 PM
Argo44
I can assist.
stephen@johnrigbyandco.com
Posted By: Hal Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 03:54 PM
I'm in the same boat with Muzzle Blasts. Have many early volumes, some bound, and even some personal correspondence between my dad and Red Ferris. All probably destined for the dump now.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 04:01 PM
Topgun's first post reminded me of me. I knew nothing about doubles guns when I started in 2004. Nothing!!

The DGJ was invaluable as a learning tool. It showed me over time the depth and breadth of what vintage and modern doubles can be. Read every copy cover to cover.

But as I became more conversant on the subject, they became less and less necessary to my learning. Still articles appear that interest me but it's no longer cover to cover as soon as it arrives.

Reminds me of when I got into keel boat sailing and automobiles. I would suggest the same is true for any specialty subject. After 5-10 years, they can't help repeating themselves. Long term readers eventually find most articles a bit repetitive and are looking for that one that covers the subject from a new angle. Necessarily rare.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 05:26 PM
Thanks for the offers of help. Stephen Nash sent the article to me. It looks like the Christies gun was indeed Mr. Dereck Stimpson's #1 of his pair per the article. Thanks again.
Posted By: craigd Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 06:36 PM
I think the DGJ is more of a reference resource than entertaiment reading, though it can certainly be both. The index readers are interesting on their own, but an advanced digitized index would be nice. While somewhat bulky, the set is easily in the mix with some historic and modern writtings.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 06:58 PM
I go back to DGJ when I buy or look at a new gun. There's a lot of valuable information in them. The articles by Sherman Bell on finding out for myself is a great reference. The double rifle reloading articles by Ross Seyfried and Sherman Bell are invaluable.

Ken
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 07:47 PM
As part of my need to fill in time with the Covid19 isolation I read my entire collection of DGJ from issue one to the last one. As I say I was bored but it was interest how much I discovered that I had forgotten. I might even go back and hit a few articles again if I decide to buy a specific gun or brush up on a specific topic.

As I say I was so bored with entirely too much time on my hands. Put in 250’ of wooden security fence. Rewired my basement and garage. Put a new laminated floor down in my basement after taking the old one up and properly leveling the concrete floor. Painted everything which did not run away. Loaded up my entire years ammo need for all five gauges I use. Even considered loading a few 10’a but I almost never shoot my yen’s anymore. Made a complete set of shot bushings for my Spolar so I can drop exactly the weight of shot I want. 30 plus in total.

Made adjustable shell trimmer for 12 and 20 gauge then used them to create several thousand 2. 1/2” empties which I spent two days loading and roll crimping. Made a nice hull clamp for 10-12 &16-20 out of flame maple and Royal Walnut with shell blocks to hold loaded shells waiting to be roll crimped out of more if the fancy Maple. Boxed up so many boxes if ammo and put in my shelf that I now have at least a full years ammo ready to go. When you wake up at 4:30 each day and don’t have a job to go to it makes a long day so I’ve been doing things around the house just to keep busy. This shutdown is driving me nuts. If you got to do this could you at least do it when hunting is going on or even the rock fish are biting?
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
As part of my need to fill in time with...

....Yada....

....Yada....

....Yada....

....If you got to do this could you at least do it when hunting is going on or even the rock fish are biting?

Golf is a huge waste of time.

Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 09:57 PM
I had a complete collection of Shooting Sportsman, some of the early ones were chocked full of good information. But, in a fit one day, I tossed the whole lot into the dumpster. I also have a complete set of DGJ and I suspect that will also be the likely end of them. I used to have forty years of Muzzle Blasts but all except those from the late fifties and early sixties are in magazine heaven.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 10:08 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Topgun's first post reminded me of me. I knew nothing about doubles guns when I started in 2004. Nothing!!

The DGJ was invaluable as a learning tool.

I'd add that for many of us, this BB has been--and continues to be--an invaluable learning tool. Doublegunshop was the first BB I ever looked at. Learned a whole lot, right here.
Posted By: French Double Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/08/20 10:19 PM
If anyone has a copy of Shooting Sportsman 2010 January/February that they are going to throw away I'd be happy to give it a home.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Double Gun Journal - 06/09/20 12:38 AM
i have a set of the old gun digest yearly soft backs from 1944 through early 2000's. i also have put together a DGJ set that is now a year or two behind, but otherwise complete. i consider both those to be useful resources that i expect to retain for the long haul. the interwebs have chipped away at their utility, but i am a lifelong reader with many books...i think of them as another measure of wealth...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com