doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Tongen Monitor .410 side by side - 03/18/20 03:57 AM
A friend of mine has a very nice .410 side by side with Monitor stamped on the left receiver box lock. The only other markings on the gun is the serial number WT511957 on the water table and the forearm. Nice checkering on the grip and forearm. Can anyone tell me anything about this shotgun and if it has any value.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/18/20 01:08 PM
Seems I've read that Monitor was another trade name used by the Crescent Firearms Company. They had a hundred or more trade names and provided guns for hardware stores. Not high quality, but if you have a .410 in nice shape it is worth consideration. I hope you will post pictures, tho that is difficult on this site. Welcome to our community!...Geo

I saw this on another gun site:
"www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=71169
Monitor. "Trade Brand Name" shotgun made by several makers for and sold by the Paxton & Galleger Company of Omaha,NB Makers include Crescent Fire Arms Company, Harrington & Richardson Arms Company, Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works and Stevens Arms & Tool Company (used on their Model 315 hammerless)."
Posted By: skeettx Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/18/20 08:23 PM
Hello John Tongen

WELCOME on your first posting

EDITED
Box Lock

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/shotguns-sav/315

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=71169

Good luck on the hunt for data

Mike
Posted By: John Tongen Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 01:28 AM
Thank you for the information provided above. A lot to digest. I intend to take pictures of this .410 which will give you more information to digest. It is a box lock and in excellent condition with nice checkering and blueing. I will also get the barrel measurements and any other other particulars. Good pictures can tell a lot about gun.
Posted By: 1straightshot Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 02:22 AM
I might be stating the obvious but the 44-410 used 44/40 shotshells,the 44Gamegetter, or 2 inch.410.The 44 Gamegetter cartridge also was available loaded with a single ball. So a gun with "choked" barrels was marked "Not For Ball".
Very cool guns. Built to a price point on the lower end. Not readily found in the condition you describe. Sounds like a cool find.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 03:40 AM
BOX lock you say , hmmmmm

Pictures would help.

You do have to use a hosting site to
post pictures here

Mike
Posted By: John Tongen Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 03:43 PM
Yes, box lock and it does not look that old. Are you on facebook where I could get your email on private messenger and send you pictures when I get them?
Posted By: John Tongen Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 03:46 PM
I just went to your profile and I have you email. Thanks
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 06:40 PM
There's a good chance there's a cartouche or something stamped on it somewhere that isn't being identified yet.

Only So many .410 models from earlier American makers.

Don't ever recall seeing fine checkering on any of them.

The serial prefix is suggesting a house brand sold through a catalog store, Western Auto or some such, made by a big outfit like Stevens.

Pics will tell all.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/19/20 08:06 PM

NO PROOFMARKS anywhere

Mike
Posted By: skeettx Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/23/20 11:08 PM

Stevens 315 Hammerless ??

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/shotguns-sav/315

Mike

P.S.

See the bolt in the top lever (top snap) smile

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/862632005
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/23/20 11:23 PM
Looks like a Trade named Nitro Special to me.

Very nice stock. Early 1940's?
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/24/20 12:21 AM
That one's certainly a Stevens action/barrels! The stock is way better than average though.
Chief
Posted By: Researcher Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/24/20 12:26 AM
It is a J. Stevens Arms Co. G.S. Lewis Patent No. 1,136,247, granted Apr. 20, 1915, gun. The design was introduced by the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. in their last big catalog, General Catalog No. 54, as the Riverside Arms Co. No. 315 in 12- and 16-gauges with a checkered half-pistol grip walnut stock.

The company was taken over by New England Westinghouse for war production during The Great War, and became J. Stevens Arms Co. After WW-I NEW sold the company off to Savage Arms Corp. which continued to operate it as J. Stevens Arms Co. About 1923 they added the 20-gauge and introduced a slightly nicer version with a bit nicer checkered walnut with a capped full pistol grip stock called the Stevens No. 330.

By 1925 they added the .410-bore. Circa 1928/9 J. Stevens Arms Co. changed the name of their lower priced line from Riverside Arms Co. to Springfield Arms Co. and in 1929 they added a lower priced version, the Springfield No. 311 with a plain wood stock. In addition to these company brand guns, they made tens of thousands with numerous "trade brand" names on them up to WW-II.

Obviously the wood on the gun in question is after market.

People seem to go nuts for these old American .410-bore doubles, with dealers asking ridiculous prices for them.

Usually the receivers were color case hardened, but J. Stevens offered nickel plating as flaking off this one "trade branded" NEWPORT CN --

Posted By: John Tongen Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/24/20 02:01 AM
Great research fellows. Much thanks to all. I will now contact my buddy with the .410 and show him all the research you have provided. The quality and care of his .410 is truly remarkable. He purchased it this year at an estate sale for $100.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Monitor .410 side by side - 03/24/20 11:55 PM
He did well. I'm not a fan of Stevens .410's, but some (as Researcher has stated), are CRAZY over them. If he sells he'll do OK.
Chief
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com