doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: wannagohunting What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/21/20 08:08 PM
I acquired this item. Anyone know what it would be called and who would have used it and does it have any collector value?
NOW PICK OUT YOUR WINCHESTER SHOTGUN- REPEATER OR DOUBLE BARREL
I tried to load it on a ink pad and stamp it but the fine print is lower than the rest of plate so no go.
Thank you

Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/21/20 08:44 PM
Printing block / press block
Posted By: cable Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/22/20 03:51 AM
you could use a small paint roller and roll the ink onto and make it print

would be neat to see
Posted By: SamW Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/22/20 03:32 PM
Looks like a wood engraving as used for offset printing in the old days. As Cable says, you can roll on block printing ink and then you can lay paper over it in a manner where it cannot shift and rub over the paper with the back of a large spoon to get the ink to set to the paper.

Maybe google Wood Engraving Print Making.
Posted By: Researcher Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/22/20 11:34 PM
That was likely a printing block for a dealer window or counter sign.

I flipped it horizontally in Paint --

I date it by the fact it discusses their .410-bore repeater and the new shell with double the old load.
Posted By: wannagohunting Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/23/20 06:52 AM
Thank you
Posted By: eightbore Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/23/20 10:33 AM
What are the dimensions and the material? 1933, introduction year for the Model 42.
Posted By: Researcher Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/23/20 01:51 PM
Guess I should have said 1933 - 1934.
Posted By: wannagohunting Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/23/20 10:26 PM
3 7/8 x 3 1/8 x 7/8 thick
Posted By: eightbore Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/27/20 01:33 PM
Thanks. Let us know if it is for sale.
Posted By: LeeS Re: What is this Winchester Stamp? - 05/27/20 07:16 PM
It is an engraved metal printing plate mounted on a wood backing block. The business end/face is either copper (likely*) or steel and attached to the backing block to keep it flat, easier to handle and lie flush with the rest of the type-set page in the press
You could use it alone or more likely with other blocks assembled to make an entire page of copy for a semi-(?)automated printing press.
Result would likely not be one/few copies but a large number of newspaper/magazine/advertising pages.

My guess of copper is that this would be a hand engraved plate easier to carve in relatively soft metal giving good results with a useful lifespan. If multiple plates were to be made for an advertising campaign, including replacement of damaged ones, it would be much easier to carve.

A steel plate would last longer but that would be decided by the time/cost equation.

See If the plate attracts a magnet &/or is red or silver/grey if scratched/cleaned on the side.

Of course I am often wrong but my opinion is only worth what you paid for it.

Best,
Lee
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com