doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HighWall stock bending - 10/20/20 05:38 AM
Who is doing stock bending now?
Posted By: SKB Re: stock bending - 10/20/20 12:21 PM
Well I do when my world is not on fire. What do you need bent and how much? I bend a fair number of stocks with good results. Some bend easier than others.
Posted By: HighWall Re: stock bending - 10/20/20 05:08 PM
My Greener is shooting a 1/2 pattern to the left at 30 yds. I'd like to fix that.
Posted By: SKB Re: stock bending - 10/20/20 05:21 PM
Sounds like more cast off is needed, half a pattern is quite a bit. Does it have an extra thick comb?
Posted By: HighWall Re: stock bending - 10/20/20 06:30 PM
No it does not
Posted By: SKB Re: stock bending - 10/20/20 07:04 PM
Then you will have to have a lot of cash off added.
Posted By: HighWall Re: stock bending - 10/20/20 07:14 PM
PM sent.
Posted By: keith Re: stock bending - 10/21/20 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: HighWall
Who is doing stock bending now?

How about you?

Although I have not yet attempted it myself, there have been several recent threads here describing a relatively simple do-it -yourself stock bending method. It involves lashing or clamping the gun to your work bench top, and applying hot oil and heat lamps to the wrist of the stock to make the wood pliable. A bag of lead shot is placed on the buttstock which is overhanging the work bench. The weight of the shot bag gently applies force in a very gradual and controlled manner, and the weight and heat is removed after the wood slowly yields and bends sufficiently in the desired direction.

This sounds great to me on several levels. No complicated stock bending jigs are involved. There is virtually no risk of inadvertently forcing the wood to go further than it can without cracking or breaking. And then there is the cost savings of doing it yourself. (Of course you could always make a little donation to Dave as thanks for providing this forum as a resource for such valuable information.) You should be able to do a search of past threads here to read and learn more about this method. At any rate, if you decide to hire a professional, be certain to inquire who is responsible if your stock is broken or damaged during the bending process. You probably are not going to like the answer.
Posted By: docbill Re: stock bending - 10/21/20 12:39 PM
I have had Larry Fieland of Houston do several for me. He caters to the pigeon/ZZ crowd and thus does this frequently. He was Cyril Adams favorite smith.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: stock bending - 10/21/20 12:45 PM
There is a tutorial here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/16314697

Jack Rowe's videos
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZBtS_WlcG4
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRgaiU5GEs

Andrew Macfarlene bending a Perazzi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWbjer5KXE

I would strongly urge anyone to practice on a couple of throw-away stocks before tackling the stock that matters.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: stock bending - 10/21/20 07:09 PM
I do as keith described. I don't lash the gun down to the table, rather I put a couple of bags of shot on the muzzles. My last attempt was with my new little [ Turkish ] Dickinson 410 SxS. It has a through bolt, bent, but a week latter was back to where I started. A friend suggested cutting the through bolt and welding in a 1/4" universal where the wrist is. That way the bent through bolt wouldn't be putting pressure back on the wood. Hell, I don't know - could be worth a try.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: stock bending - 10/21/20 11:08 PM
Paul, I did that once. Not for a bend, but a difficult grip drop for a schuetzen Borchardt. It worked well
Posted By: SKB Re: stock bending - 10/21/20 11:53 PM
I find the through bolt causes few issues but I always clamp the head of the stock while bending through bolt guns. It seems to work for me. Some guns do need to be bent multiple times to stay put, why I do not know.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: stock bending - 10/22/20 01:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
I do as keith described. I don't lash the gun down to the table, rather I put a couple of bags of shot on the muzzles. My last attempt was with my new little [ Turkish ] Dickinson 410 SxS. It has a through bolt, bent, but a week latter was back to where I started. A friend suggested cutting the through bolt and welding in a 1/4" universal where the wrist is. That way the bent through bolt wouldn't be putting pressure back on the wood. Hell, I don't know - could be worth a try.

This is interesting to me, Paul, because my Dickinson is stocked a little too high for me, too. I get by it by adding a lace-on pad to increase the LOP enough that my eye gets down to the rib, but it's still not like I prefer. Do you think it's the through bolt thats bringing the wood back, or just the wood itself returning to it's equilibrium? And, how much did you move it? And, (sorry for all the questions) what did you do about the long tang on the triggerguard? I can see how it would push upwards if not re-inletted, or bent.

Thanks, SRH
Posted By: Mark II Re: stock bending - 10/22/20 04:31 PM
Dennis Earl Smith advised me to open up the through bolt hole a bit. The trigger guard bends easily by hand. It may need a bit of reinletting by the tip.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com