doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bbman3 stock duplicating question - 07/08/07 07:44 PM
I have Parker stock i want to get duplicated and has anyone had this done and was there any damage to the original stock?I have this stock i want duplicated that fits me perfectly but has a repair and want to have duplicated if it will not be damaged.Who does a great job? Thanks in advance, Bobby
Posted By: BIG AL Re: stock duplicating question - 07/08/07 07:56 PM
No it will not hurt the old pattern stock, I can not say the same for the people you ship it with.
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: stock duplicating question - 07/08/07 09:11 PM
I had one done by Wenig's in MO.
No damage to the original stock.
Take BIG AL's advice and pack it well.

Regards. Gordon
Posted By: Jent P Mitchell lll Re: stock duplicating question - 07/08/07 09:29 PM
Contact Craig Libhart at Susquehanna Stockworks in Pennsylvania. Craig works with Mike Kokolus and they can reproduce your Parker butt stock exactly. Craig can also build you a custom Parker butt stock that will fit you and your shooting style exactly. Craig's phone number is 717-367-3414 OR 717-333-0202. Good Shooting To You, Jent
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: stock duplicating question - 07/08/07 09:38 PM
I would call Shane Thompson and talk to him about the project. His number is 208-547-0383.

I always tell people they should expect the stock to come back in a different condition than when it leaves your house. There are some things you can do to minimize marks on the pattern stock, but don't expect it to come back exactly the same. It all depends on how picky you are and how closely you anylize the stock before and after. For most folks' inspection it can be "the same," but it won't be under close inspection. And of course a lot depends on the original stock too. Call Shane and talk to him about it and he can give you details.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: stock duplicating question - 07/08/07 10:54 PM
The tracer can make light scratches in the finish of the original stock. The stock has to have extensions glued on to grip onto by the duplicator. Some evidence of glue may still be left behind. All the above are very minor and as posted above you almost have to look for them to see them if cleaned up well. No stress is put on your pattern stock in the duplication so mo harm but the tracer has to pressed firmly onto the surface to get the exact copy that you are looking for. Pack well, use heavy box, bubble wrap, two or three layers of heavy cardboard to make the box very strong. Pay the freight and make it a heavy, strong and safe package.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 12:05 AM
Jon, I can see how the butt end of the pattern (old stock) would be fastened into the machine, but can't figure out how the head is. If a block of wood is glued into the opening that the receiver fits into, then how does the duplicator's stylus follow the insides?
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 12:26 AM
Dave-

I have never driven a duplicator on a 2 piece, so I can't help you there.

BBman-
As I posted before, a lot of it depends on yoru piece of wood. Depends how hard it is and how it is finished. I have seen some stocks get pretty marked up. Saw a Dakota stock one time that was taped up very well, but it was a fairly soft piece of wood and you could see marks on. But most good pieces of wood, especially with a hard finish such as epoxy, are only going to have minor marks
Posted By: DES/TSD Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 12:59 AM
Different styles of inletting demand different types of holding fixtures. Fajen, Inc. Custom shop used wooden blocks glued onto the ends of both buttstock and forend if needed. The inletting of a forend/buttstock is then cut up to the block. You must make sure that the block also allows for side detail clearance for the cutter. Any undercuts are done via woodruff cutters especially made for that application. The wooden blocks are then cut off and inletting closed by the same is removed by chisel. I use this method for all of my pattern prep for carving. You must make sure that you have enough wood (for O.D. of the metal drivers)in order for the metal to not split out the hard work in making the holding fixture. As usual more complete information comes from experience at carving. You learn what works and what doesn't by doing. The suggestions of the men and companies above are good avenues for consideration.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 01:33 AM
Thanks for all the great info! The stock is a straight grip in excellent condition except for a small repair. The wood is figured dense, hard American walnut finished in oil.It has a Hawkins pad but i am going with a checkered butt,same length and pitch. Bobby
Posted By: Pete Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 01:47 AM
The common practice is to cover the entire stock with electrical tape which is soft and rubbery. I haven't seen any scratches result from this no matter who did the work. Also two blocks of wood are glued to the butt and action area. The glue is hard sticking but soft so is peeled off with no damage. The forearm is actually harder to do than the butt in many cases.

I sell wood on this site and would be happy to suggest some turners if you like.

Pete
peterb@coinet.com
Posted By: Chuck H Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 02:23 PM
One of the stock machinists that I used, would glue with hot-melt which allows for easy removal of the fixturing block at the head of the buttstock. He overtapes with blue masking tape to protect the original finish of the pattern.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 04:08 PM
Okay Mr. Chuck, who is your man of choice for turning and his cost ?

Would also appreciate hearing from you as well Mr. Pete. Ken
Posted By: mike campbell Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 04:26 PM
The best price and fastest turnaround I ever got for turning was from a fellow named Russ Wilson, 541-846-7787. The job was very satisfactory.

I believe he was one of 4 people Pete recommneded in a post several years ago.

I've had a few dozen turned and the only bad experience I ever had was when Fajen mis-communicated my numbers to the shop floor and I got cast-on instead of cast-off.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: stock duplicating question - 07/09/07 04:45 PM
Ken,
I've tried a number of the recommendations that have been posted here over the years. Some had excellent work, some not so good, and all but one have been disappointing in terms of following thru with their promised delivery. In a few cases, I had to simply ask to have my parts and blanks back since their had been no contact and their commited date had long passed months before. The best work I had done cost quite a bit more than most here have paid, but I was more than pleased to pay it. His delivery time was long passed his commitment delivery though. I always ask the craftsman for his schedule and never push for my requested date. I figure if he makes the original commitment, he would be more likely to be on time. Apparently, not so. Also, I've always allowed twice the committed date before requesting my parts and blanks back. All of the stock machinists have then rushed to complete my job. So...I'm kinda reluctant to put others in the same situations I've gotten into.
Posted By: BIG AL Re: stock duplicating question - 07/10/07 02:23 AM
I haven't used them since he moved to New Mexico, but I have nothing but praise for Treebone. Yes he is more expensive than some, but he sure gets it right. I know Ken Hurst has used him in the past, perhaps he had a different experience then I've had? Seems as if there is no wait time problems at all with him!
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: stock duplicating question - 07/10/07 02:49 AM
YES, George Peterson (owner) of Treebone is fast and good ! I have used him on a number of jobs without a problem. However, he only has patterns for single shot rifles. He will duplicate shotgun stocks if you have the pattern. Ken
Posted By: Pete Re: stock duplicating question - 07/11/07 08:45 PM
My recommendations depend on the particular job. For an inexpensive rifle job, Richard's Microfit 818-767-6097 does fairly good work for under $100 and is fairly quick if the stock is a common one. Chuck does 8 at a time and does a LOT of stocks per day. If a pattern gets a chip out somewhere, this may not be caught right off and has been condemned by some who got a piece that needed extra care. He rarely does two piece stocks. Good quality for the money.

Now for refined work, extra money is paid. John Vest 541-923-8898 is about 6 weeks out for does magnificent work at about $270 for a rifle copy. Hoenig machine quality and he has some magnificent Earl Milliron classic patterns. He does two piece also for a bit more. A bit of finish inletting is required, but not much.

Keith Kercher 541-617-9299 will do finish stocks and is very quick. I believe he uses Gene Similian to do the rough cut out work. I am guessing the finish price not counting wood will run about $1200. Keith is great at metal work for doubles and is very quick.

Gene Similian :970-641-1126 Hoenig Machine
Ed Shulen: 719-846-2301 Don Allen Machine
Ed and Gene are in Colorado. Both run in the $400 range for two piece stocks and require a bit but not much inletting.

Russ Wilson 541-846-7787 Hoenig machine about $250 fit to metal.
Ray Randall 541-771-4538 Hoenig machine $150 to cut out, $250 fit to metal. He is setting up his shop so I don't know if he is taking jobs yet.

You need to contact each person for time. It varies. Costs also change so contact each person for the up-to-date cost. Costs do not include wood.

Beautiful wood can be had in the $300 range including English. Look around.

I send email photos of wood if any are needed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com