doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: builder Bismuth load - 02/15/24 05:38 PM
I am thinking of making some bismuth loads for geese for next season. I am wondering if this will fit in a 2 3/4 12g hull. Please advise if you have had experience with this or something similar. I found this on the Hodgdon site but I am not sure it will fit in the hull. Thanks.

Remington STS hull 2 3/4
Longshot 28g.
Winchester primer
Rem RP12 wad
1 1/4 oz. bismuth #1
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Bismuth load - 02/15/24 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by builder
I am thinking of making some bismuth loads for geese for next season. I am wondering if this will fit in a 2 3/4 12g hull. Please advise if you have had experience with this or something similar. I found this on the Hodgdon site but I am not sure it will fit in the hull. Thanks.

Remington STS hull 2 3/4
Longshot 28g.
Winchester primer
Rem RP12 wad
1 1/4 oz. bismuth #1

A very similar load that I use is WAA huls and and WAA12R hull or Claybuster equivalent and 27 gr of LS for 1.25 oz of Bi. When loading lead, I use the same but substitute the WAA12114F wad.
The Hodgdon reloading site has the Bi recipe. I am pretty sure that your recipe will fit, but I can't guess what the pressure will be.
Posted By: builder Re: Bismuth load - 02/15/24 06:59 PM
Thank you. You have loaded the equivalent and it fits? I don't think that there is much difference between the Rem and AA hulls. I believe #1 Bismuth takes up more room than the smaller sizes. I really don't want to use a 3" hull. Not worth the adjustment from 2 3/4" for a relative few shells for hunting.

According to Hodgdon it is 8900 psi at 1300 fps.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Bismuth load - 02/15/24 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by builder
Thank you. You have loaded the equivalent and it fits? I don't think that there is much difference between the Rem and AA hulls. I believe #1 Bismuth takes up more room than the smaller sizes. I really don't want to use a 3" hull. Not worth the adjustment from 2 3/4" for a relative few shells for hunting.

According to Hodgdon it is 8900 psi at 1300 fps.

1 1/4oz of Bi will take about the same space as 1 3/8 oz of lead. That is why I switch wads. The WinAA12R will handle it for sure. If you use that same wad for 1 1/4 oz of lead, you need to add at least one, and often 2 Cheerios under the shot to make it fill the wad enough for a decent crimp. That works just fine, but I prefer to avoid the cereal if possible.

I agree about the Rem hull and the WAA. I don't know much about the RP12 wad however. My loads are around 1250 fps and work well with #5s for ducks and pheasants. Occasionally, a really tight Canada will tempt me with a head shot. Never failed on them either, but I've only shot a few and do not recommend it.
Posted By: builder Re: Bismuth load - 02/15/24 09:42 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify.

Milt
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bismuth load - 02/16/24 02:30 AM
Milt, I have a 1 1/4 oz. bismuth load I have used for years, in Rem. Gold hulls. They're fairly low pressure loads, as duck loads go, but I cannot remember the load data. I will look in my shop tomorrow morning and quote the details for you.

Stan
Posted By: builder Re: Bismuth load - 02/16/24 01:11 PM
Thanks Stan.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com